• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I am upgrading my 10/22 in preparation for another Appleseed. It currently has the standard wooden stock that came on the gun when I bought it. I have been doing some research and I have seen recommendations for three stocks in particular. These are the Tapco T6, the Christie Super Stock and the Evolution. The Evolution currently isn't in production but I might be able to find a used one. Does anyone have an opinion on a particular stock that they would like to recommend?

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I can provide the "save your money" argument ;^)

I've seen a lot of stocks on the line this summer and no stock seemed to offer any advantage/disadvantage over another, with one exception. I never see a good solid cheek weld with an adjustable stock.

The beauty, or curse depending on your motivation, of Appleseed is that it is not an equipment race. Equipment can raise your score once you master the skills, but no amount of equipment will replace the mastery of those skills.

My advice would be to put your money towards more ammo, skate board tape on the butt plate, and a good shooting pad. Then practice, a lot.

YHJ

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I agree with Jake about the adjustable stocks. I think they are more hassle than they are worth for appleseeding.

There's really not many ways I can think of an aftermarket stock helping your appleseed experience. That said, I put a Hogue stock on mine and I love it. I don't think it makes me a better shooter, but I like the way it feels.

My Hogue stock has two drawbacks over the wood stock that came with the rifle;
    1: the mag well is tight and after much sanding the mags will fall free if and only if the rifle is held very straight.
    2: It gets HOT when left out in the sun on a hot sunny day.

But really, like YHJ said, other than the collapsible stocks giving people fits on their cheek welds, I've never seen any obvious difference between the performance of one stock and another at an event.

indyjoe

Master
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The only reason for a stock change is to make the gun more versatile. My father equipped his with a T6 stock and this allowed my young nephew to use it as the stock was able to be adjusted closer.

Another versatility factor is if the stock will make it closer in layout to your primary high powered rifle. That could be good for training.

snowman46919

Master
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Can I go ahead and say this and get flamed... I think so.. my marlin out shot my ruger every time. Same ammo, same shooter, same scenario and I just simply shot better with the marlin. Although the best I shot with was a Henry Martini lever action 22 but it looks like the requirement doesn't allow for a tube fed lever action.

indyjoe

Master
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Can I go ahead and say this and get flamed... I think so.. my marlin out shot my ruger every time. Same ammo, same shooter, same scenario and I just simply shot better with the marlin. Although the best I shot with was a Henry Martini lever action 22 but it looks like the requirement doesn't allow for a tube fed lever action.

My nephew picked up a cheap Marlin mag fed rifle (597 or something like that) and I put a scope on it for hit to squirrel hunt. I was surprised how accurate that little rifle was.

If you are going iron sights, however, it is hard to find good aftermarket sights for many .22s, like the Tech Sights for the 10/22.

snowman46919

Master
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    My nephew picked up a cheap Marlin mag fed rifle (597 or something like that) and I put a scope on it for hit to squirrel hunt. I was surprised how accurate that little rifle was.

If you are going iron sights, however, it is hard to find good aftermarket sights for many .22s, like the Tech Sights for the 10/22.

I personally loved the factory iron sights from the henry even though they were god awful ugly I shot straight with them.
    HenryLeverAction22_134027.jpg

I don't get much into after market iron sights simply because of my upbringing and I know I may get flamed for this but colt people avert ye eyes 1. function over form 2. Never pay Colt prices when Ruger does the job just fine.

My grandpa (a marine) shot better with iron sights than I ever hoped to with a scope at the time. He never had bought after market iron sights just the best gun for what could be had and shot it the same way it came out of the box. He never owned a Colt in his time because they were showpieces and guns are meant to be tools not silver serving that you only get out at christmas.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have a Fajen stock on one of mine and an alternate color standard Ruger stock on the other. The Fajen gives me a better "feel", but hasn't really contributed much. I scored my first Rifleman score on a Savage Mk. II bolt-action.

Follow YHJ's advice. Don't worry about the stock. Work on your form in dry fire and you'll have that Rifleman patch in no time.

Blessings,
    Bill

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Eddie, you are already good stock for an Appleseed. Just show up and they will train you well.:D By the way your calender is off, it is not October 22nd anymore.

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I recently put a tapco t6 on mine, mainly for my wife(short arms), but I gotta admit I like it. prolly because my currnet MBR (m4gery) has a similar feel.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Same here w/a tapco stock. My youngest daughter couldn't use the 10/22 stock - too long for her and yet I can still shoot it with the Tapco.
    And no, it didn't improve or detract from my shooting.

Like YHJ stated: buy more ammo and practice, think about the "goodies" later. :twocents:

I have to add my :twocents: to the discussion. I recently appleseeded with what I thought was the perfect rifle. I got the tech sights (which did work great) and a M1 carbine conversion stock/sling. I am taking the M1 carbine stock off and putting the original stock back on. I had read about people making the M1 carbine tribute rifles for appleseed and followed suit. However, the sling mounts made anything but a hasty unusable. I am planning on doing another seed just to officially complete the instructor requirements, and I will have the "stock" stock reinstalled with new sling swivels. Setting up my sons rifle the same way.

Get good sights, good sling, good sling mounts. Everything else is skill.
    Peashooter

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I have to say that I really liked the feel of the thumbhole stock that Bill of Rights has on one of his 10/22's.

Or maybe it was the "can" on the end and nothing but the sound of the action in my ears......:dunno: BTW Bill,,,thanks again,,,that was a cooler than cool experience.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have to say that I really liked the feel of the thumbhole stock that Bill of Rights has on one of his 10/22's.

Or maybe it was the "can" on the end and nothing but the sound of the action in my ears......:dunno: BTW Bill,,,thanks again,,,that was a cooler than cool experience.

That's a Fajen stock and it's comfortable, yes. I'm glad you liked it! The can, well... I just figure most people don't get too many chances to enjoy that, so when the opportunity presents itself, as it did after we had finished the Appleseed that day, yeah, it's fun. The smile that spreads across peoples' faces is absolutely priceless and makes the cost and time of acquiring the can worth every penny and every moment.

Hope to see you and family soon.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom