• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    When I was in college I would get a big can of Hunts spaghetti sauce and some angel hair pasta. For maybe $1.50 I could get a lot of meals out of that. Hunts actually isn't bad either. I think it's $0.98 a can at Walmart.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    When I was in college I would get a big can of Hunts spaghetti sauce and some angel hair pasta. For maybe $1.50 I could get a lot of meals out of that. Hunts actually isn't bad either. I think it's $0.98 a can at Walmart.

Hunts big can with some fresh italian sausage cooked up and put in =KILLER!

Glock4life

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Elkhart, IN
    Cooks Illustrated rated Barilla and Classico the best of the less expensive brands. I like Rao's a lot, but it's around $10 a jar, at least at Meijer. San Marzano makes a great one too and much less expensive.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Yes I do miss Grandma's pasta sauce, she grew the tomatoes in her backyard garden and made homemade pasta on the kitchen table? The best I have found is Francesco Rinaldi, comes in several varieties.
    Pat

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    MIDS

MIDS Italian Sausage is the only thing we buy. It's excellant and you don't have to add any meat to it because it's good to go from the bottle. I find it on sale at Marsh at least once a month and many times with a $1 off coupon.:yesway:

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    Newman's Own Sockarooni Sauce

"Peppers, Spices, and the Whole Shebang!"
    It has actual chunks of peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Yum! Walmart's everyday price is $1.88. That is better than the sale price at other stores.

Lecaia713

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I usually buy the Hunt's, but that's just cuz I'm cheap. I do, however, brown up some Italian sausage, pour the sauce over, add a drained can of garlic and onion flavored diced tomatoes, a tablespoon or two of Italian seasoning, and two to three teaspoons of sugar and garlic powder. It's all pretty much dump and stir, and doesn't take longer than the time it takes to cook your noodles.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Wouldn't feed Ragu brand sauce to a dog....enough salt in that stuff to kill a Rhino.

We use Prego chunky style and add mushrooms and garlic.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Another vote for Mid's. Yes it is a bit more expensive but well worth it.

I have it from a good source ( my lady, a genuine Italian) that Mid's is about the only sauce that is cooked down as a good sauce should be. The others can be made more like a good sauce if you cook it down and not just heat and eat. I must admit she taught me that a good cooked sauce is more flavorful.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Newman's Own Sockarooni Sauce

"Peppers, Spices, and the Whole Shebang!"
    It has actual chunks of peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Yum! Walmart's everyday price is $1.88. That is better than the sale price at other stores.

This. Brown some Italian sausage and toss in pan with the Sockarooni. Then add 2 cans of tomato sauce, any style, and one can of tomato paste. Finish off with some chopped garlic, oregano, and sweet basil. Don't forget to let it all simmer a good hour if you want that real home taste. That way the flavors all meld together.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Grandma still pumps out about 300 jars a year to supply my family (huge family). So we are lucky enough to still get the good stuff.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    My girlfriend likes the the three cheese Prego, so that's what we get. Other than that we love alfredo sauce and the best we've found is Classico

Top Bottom