• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    What do you think?

Think cheap, long self life and high in calories/nutrients...plus you should be able to rotate into your normal cooking routine.

I will not drink just cooking oil to stay alive!

Fire away.

Last edited:

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Ramen Noodles baby!!!

Cheap almost tasty, can mix them with stuff, Think they last forever.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My choice would have to be Lembas, which is also called waybread in the Common Speech. Shaped into thin cakes, it is very nutritious, stays fresh for months when in its original leaf-wrappings, and is used for sustenance on long journeys. It is tastier than cram or Beorn's honey-cakes. It appears brownish on the outside and cream-coloured on the inside.

You could also store up on Ent-draught. This is an extremely invigorating drink, brewed from the waters of the mountain springs on Methedras.

;)

Last edited:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    We like Campbell's "Chunky Soups". They agree with us, eat a can or 2 most every week with a salad or grilled cheese. 1 1/2 to 2 year shelf life, easy to keep stocked up, just heat to boil. Not "cheap",but for less than $50 you can have a can a day(1bowl each for 2) for a month. Stretch it out more pouring it over the rice we saved for SHTF. Oatmeal,Cream of Wheat is good and inexpensive and has good shelf life.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We have various varieties of dried beans, rice, ramen noodles. Some Chef Boy Ar Dee or however it's spelled type stuff (though most of it is actually store brand for cheapness), Treet, canned tuna. Peanut butter is good, too.

Water is the weak point. Have what's in the hot water tank, and a little more stored seperately. Space is the issue, there.

Don't forget fuel to cook your food! With winter rolling around, we also need to get our kerosene tanks refilled for heat. $$$$ we don't have, but must spend sooner rather than later :(

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    We have various varieties of dried beans, rice, ramen noodles. Some Chef Boy Ar Dee or however it's spelled type stuff (though most of it is actually store brand for cheapness), Treet, canned tuna. Peanut butter is good, too.

Water is the weak point. Have what's in the hot water tank, and a little more stored seperately. Space is the issue, there.

Don't forget fuel to cook your food! With winter rolling around, we also need to get our kerosene tanks refilled for heat. $$$$ we don't have, but must spend sooner rather than later :(

That's our weak link, need a campstove. need to stock up on wood and charcoal for the grill/firepit. We've talked to the neighbors and can work together on this, but I want to be able to be self-sufficient.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What do you think?

Think cheap, long self life and high in calories/nutrients...plus you should be able to rotate into your normal cooking routine.

I will not drink just cooking oil to stay alive!

Fire away.

I'd say stick with your favorite brands of canned fruits, vegetables, soups, etc. Canned foods, if stored so they don't freeze or get too hot, will stay viable for many years.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    i say peanut butter for my cheap food with lots of nutrients....

Ramen Noodles baby!!!

Cheap almost tasty, can mix them with stuff, Think they last forever.

Yeah, forgot that.:yesway: And pasta, many different kinds, you can add canned meat(chicken,tuna) to some macaroni, butter or margarine,some Parmesan, yum!:rockwoot:

I'd say stick with your favorite brands of canned fruits, vegetables, soups, etc. Canned foods, if stored so they don't freeze or get too hot, will stay viable for many years.

We have various varieties of dried beans, rice, ramen noodles. Some Chef Boy Ar Dee or however it's spelled type stuff (though most of it is actually store brand for cheapness), Treet, canned tuna. Peanut butter is good, too.:(

All of the above. We keep an adequate supply of staples then supplement with fresh fruits & vegetables as the season dictates meat from the freezer, hunt if need be, flour, cooking oil, salt, sugar, coffee, chocolate, tea, etc.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Sams club 50# bags of white rice for $20 a pop. Pretty hard to beat that. Throw in some Dinty Moore Beef Stews and you've got a good start.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I keep a stock of pinto, great northern, lima and navy beans, (avg $1 / lb. in 10 lb boxes) corn bread mix along with bulk rice, #25 bag of salt and 5 gallon boxes of cooking oil all from GFS. Canned tuna, Ramen noodles and various spices from the Dollar Store. All the above are stored in 55 gallon barrels. I'm total electric but keep fuel for my Coleman camp stove along with kerosene for the hurricane lamps and a 5500W genset with an ample supply of fuel to run the well pump and freezer.

Gotta remember to get some peanut butter next trip to GFS. Lots of good ideas here.

Last edited:

jamisan01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Rochester, In
    A lot of good ideas. I can tell you first hand that any canned good, if stored in reasonable temps, will last 10 yrs. plus. We're still using stuff that I bought before Y2K! It all tastes just as good as it does right off the store shelf. Hit a Save-A-Lot, Aldi's or any of the cheaper stores. A case of canned goods runs around $6.00.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Rice is good if you have the time to cook it.

For a ton of calories cheap, when you need to be on the move I say peanut butter, small bag of carrots, and a loaf of generic wheat bread. Probably over 2500 calories for less than $4 if you shop right.

Top Bottom