• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Wondered what the best value 1911 is? I noticed a lot of good reviews on the Rock Island 1911. The price point is right for me. Can I do better than a Rock Island? Thanks

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Never had a RI, but my Taurus pt1911 has been flawless through around 1000 rounds. They typically run $600, the only thing I have had an issue with is Gold dot 230gr JHPs. Those have been the only load that I couldn't get to hand cycle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With the 1911 you get what you pay for. RI's are a roll of the dice. You may get an ok shooter or you my roll craps. Save some more and go for a Remington, Springer or something used from a bit higher up the food chain. JMHO.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have no first hand experience with any of these, but the worldwide 1911 cognoscenti seems to think that if you are considering an RIA you ought to look at the Remington, the ATI, the Regent and the Firestorm models. I think churchmouse has it right, though. Spend a little time looking and you can probably secure a used, but very good condition version from one of the slightly "upmodel" lines. Maybe a Spartan?

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    I absolutely love 1911's I carry them almost everyday of my life. I own alot of 1911's, and I have shot not so good ones and then my favorite is any one of my Kimber's. I will say I believe your best bang for the buck is the Ruger SR1911, if you do a simple trigger job on them there one of the best 1911's out there.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    What do you consider value? Below $500? $600?
    I have two Rock Islands, a full size tactical and a compact GI. The full size has been completely trouble free in nearly 1000 rounds. The compact on the other hand... It had to go back to Armscor for FTE problems. I do have to say that since its return it too as been trouble free and is as accurate as the full size.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I really like my Metro Arms 1911's.

I have a commander and an ACII (govt length). The ACII seems to have a tighter chamber, and doesn't like certain reloads that work 100% in my 4.25". It also doesn't like knockoff magazines.

spqr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    From my experience (take it for what it is worth...I am just a civilian hobby shooter)...all 1911 pistols are hit or miss. I've had a Colt Officer's model that wouldn't feed anything hollow-point, a Kimber Custom TLE that wouldn't extract any lighter loads, and I've seen my friend's Clark Custom fail to feed numerous times (until it went back to the factory and they "made it right". Sometimes I think that it might be best to buy a used 1911 that has shown proven reliability or buy some thing that looks good and have a competent gunsmith tune it up!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I haven't messed with 1911's for years, but back then I thought springfield armory was the best bang for your buck. I havent followed the last few years enough to have a worthy opinion

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Springfield Armory Loaded model with NM serial number.

$800 for a well fitted 1911 with excellent fit/finish and a customer service department that is second to none. My Loaded has proved to be the most reliable handgun I own. It runs wet or dry and eats all types of ammo- ball, JHPs, brass, crappy Russian steel.

Number of malfunctions from my Loaded: 0
    Number of malfunctions from my Glock 26: 1

:popcorn:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Springfield Armory Loaded model with NM serial number.

$800 for a well fitted 1911 with excellent fit/finish and a customer service department that is second to none. My Loaded has proved to be the most reliable handgun I own. It runs wet or dry and eats all types of ammo- ball, JHPs, brass, crappy Russian steel.

Number of malfunctions from my Loaded: 0
    Number of malfunctions from my Glock 26: 1

:popcorn:

None of my springers have ever given me pause. A new RO can be had for Mid $700's and is as good a shooter as many higher priced pieces. It already has many of the features of a loaded.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Love my STI Spartan.

It's from the same factory as RIA, but has STI's American-made hammer/sear/disconnector and adjustable rear sight. That alone is worth the $150 price difference, at least to me.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    1911's are like guitars. You DO get what you pay for, but if you don't know the first thing about tuning or playing one, you're not going to be satisfied....

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    From my experience (take it for what it is worth...I am just a civilian hobby shooter)...all 1911 pistols are hit or miss. I've had a Colt Officer's model that wouldn't feed anything hollow-point, a Kimber Custom TLE that wouldn't extract any lighter loads, and I've seen my friend's Clark Custom fail to feed numerous times (until it went back to the factory and they "made it right". Sometimes I think that it might be best to buy a used 1911 that has shown proven reliability or buy some thing that looks good and have a competent gunsmith tune it up!

I have said this many times on this forum. My opinion is the more expensive / higher end a 1911 is the more finicky it is.

As for best bang for the buck I don't think you can beat a RIA. You can get a GI model for around $400 still, I think. And a two tone tactical for right at $500 or maybe a little less. Heck a SA basic Mil-Spec will cost you well over $600.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Another vote for springer in the value category. The TRP is one of the best values out there.

The OP said the best value 1911 and the RIA was at his price point. You guys are throwing out guns that are well above what he is looking for.

Top Bottom