• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm looking for the best value .22 I can get, I don't think I'll be modifying it much besides an inexpensive scope. I'm a student and don't have a ton of money right now so I'd like to spend as little as possible for a decent starter rifle. I've been looking at the marlin model 60 or 795, they seem to have pretty good reviews. I'd like a 10/22 but from what I can tell they are more expensive and aren't quite as accurate out of the box. I'm reallllly tempted to pick up one of the 600$ ar-15's from cdnn but just can't justify it right now so I think I'll stick with a .22 since it's my first rifle anyway. So based on all this, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    10/22 is a vary flexable and you can mod over time.I am a fan of the marlin 60 with open sights and they are accurate.but over time the 10/22 is money better spent.:twocents:

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    There is no question that the 3 rifles you mention are popular and all are good. I agree with your comments that the Marlins are more accurate out of the box. And, I agree with those that have said the 10/22 has more after market possiblities. But you said you are concerned about cost. For the price of a basic 10/22 you can buy either Marlin and still have $150 left over for ammunition. Sooo...do you want to play "dress up" or shoot? Both are fun!

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    There is no question that the 3 rifles you mention are popular and all are good. I agree with your comments that the Marlins are more accurate out of the box. And, I agree with those that have said the 10/22 has more after market possiblities. But you said you are concerned about cost. For the price of a basic 10/22 you can by either Marlin and still have $150 left over for ammunition. Sooo...do you want to play "dress up" or shoot? Both are fun!

Where can I buy a marlin for $60?? A basic Ruger 10/22 is $210 at Dicks right now.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Get the model 60. Good accurate gun, sized for American adults. Or get a 10/22, replace the barrel, replace the trigger, replace the stock...

Or get the 10/22, add a cheap scope and fire away! I just bought an All-Weather model at Dick's. I picked up a Berska scope and a military style sling. It shoots where I aim it. No need to do anything with it. It works. It will still be a great rifle when I give it to my grandkids in 20 years.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Check out the Wally world 10/22 special all stainless wood stock for around $200. My dad picked one up and shoots fine out of the box.

I investigated Wally World before purchasing my Ruger 10/22 at Dick's. I found I could get the All-Weather (synthetic stock, stainless steel barrel) model at Wally World in Warsaw and in Auburn for $247.00. I could also get the same rifle at Dick's in Ft. Wayne for just $2.00 more. Since I could not drive to Warsaw or Auburn for $2.00, and I could save 90 minutes on the road, I bought it at Dick's.

The two Wally World stores had only one unit on hand, and did not have other models available at the time. Dick's did have one other All-Weather unit on hand and several other models, including the bottom of the line model for about $200 (This was at the north store; the south store had more models earlier in the week, but they would not dicker on the prices).

If you are in NE Indiana, check out Tomlinsons in Churubusco and 21st Century Firearms Inc in Bluffton. Both shops are quality people and offer good, competitive prices. I do not work for any of these companies. I just want to let :ingo: folks know that good deals can be made on the 10/22.

Top Bottom