• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have a very old military compass that I wouldn't trade for anything. Even has a radiation warning on it. I'd say get a mil surplus one, if you can find one. They're usually tough as all get out and do everything and then some. I've used mine for impromptu surveying.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Army surplus. it is without a doubt the best compass I've ever owned or used. it cost me about $20 at the A/N surplus store, but its worth it.

TRITIUM-LENSATIC-COMPASS.gif

thats odd... most of the surplus stores are now showing it for $50-75.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Brunton 8096…
    Somewhere around the $40 range…
    Brunton 8096 Adventure Racing Compass

Brunton International Transit…
    Somewhere north of $500
    Brunton International Pocket Transit

Silva Ranger CLQ 515CLQ
    Somewhere around $50
    Silva Ranger CLQ 515 Compass - Silva Compasses

You can always pick up a Surplus GI Compass also.
    If you are contemplating this route though verify it is accurate before you purchase it.
    Also try to find one of the Tritium Versions also…
    Not uncommon for the Tritium ones to be just South of $100

I actually like the 8096 or the Ranger CLQ for General Land Nav.
    With the International there is little to nothing that you cannot do.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just for land nav.

$20 for a surplus compass sounds like a hell of a deal!!

Like I said earlier verify it is accurate. Fairly simple to do take a known good compass and shoot a point, remember the number. Then repeat with the ones you are interested in...

Also test and Verify that they glow in the Dark... ;)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The reason I like the clear-bottomed (orienteering-type) compasses over the lensatic compasses is that you need not orient the map to N when determining your course, you just have to line the north needle up with the north-south heading lines. They're also much less expensive. The one I have in the vest I'm wearing right now, I got in 1974 and have carried ever since.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have a very old military compass that I wouldn't trade for anything. Even has a radiation warning on it. I'd say get a mil surplus one, if you can find one. They're usually tough as all get out and do everything and then some. I've used mine for impromptu surveying.

Can't beat these, I've had one for 35 years.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Buy 2. At some point you will have a moment that you doubt the reading and stop trusting the compass. You can then use the second to validate the reading on the first and restore your trust in it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    The reason I like the clear-bottomed (orienteering-type) compasses over the lensatic compasses is that you need not orient the map to N when determining your course, you just have to line the north needle up with the north-south heading lines. They're also much less expensive. The one I have in the vest I'm wearing right now, I got in 1974 and have carried ever since.

I've always used a lensamatic compass when I take the family on our backpacking trips in the Wind River Range. I suppose it's what you get used to using.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'll second the orienteering compasses $10-15. I own surveying instrments that run $150-200, and I have a bunch of orienteering compasses. If you leave it in the car, buy 2-3, they go bad over time if they are constantly being moved (it'd take a few years, but why take chances when they are cheap?).

I have 1 orienteering compass with each of my packs, and a couple of the little cheap bubble compasses that, while they won't allow me to get 5 degree accuracy, will keep me moving in a more or less straight line.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Kind of like asking "what is a good knife?".

I have my old military lensatic. Great compass for serious orienteering. I also have a large silva that is as good, but not at night. I have a small compass on my watchband as I type this, and it would do me fine for most walks in the woods around Indiana or even out West if it was an area I was familiar with.

Start with a good Silva, get Bjorn's book "Be an Expert with Map and Compass" and practice. You need to know a little bit about true North, magnetic north , declination,etc. before you are ready to orienteer. You will eventually own a few compasses, but the KNOWLEDGE of how to properly use one is the most important thing.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I vote for a cheap Silva like the starter. They're tough as nails and great for orienteering work. I've beat the tar out of my silva and it lasted 22 years before I gave it to my nephew (went out the next day and bought another silva).

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Regardless of the type and/or brand of compass, storage of same is paramount. Does not do much good when that long, or short term stored compass is no longer trustworthy. Also remember to practice/use to keep skills up.

Top Bottom