• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I just didn't want to get a $10 compass and find out that it only points north 50% of the time.

I didn't want to spend $200 if it wasn't necessary either.

So, all very good information.

While we're talking about it. What is a good source for topo maps?

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Brunton 8096…
    Somewhere around the $40 range…
    Brunton 8096 Adventure Racing Compass

Brunton International Transit…
    Somewhere north of $500
    Brunton International Pocket Transit

Silva Ranger CLQ 515CLQ
    Somewhere around $50
    Silva Ranger CLQ 515 Compass - Silva Compasses

You can always pick up a Surplus GI Compass also.
    If you are contemplating this route though verify it is accurate before you purchase it.
    Also try to find one of the Tritium Versions also…
    Not uncommon for the Tritium ones to be just South of $100

I actually like the 8096 or the Ranger CLQ for General Land Nav.
    With the International there is little to nothing that you cannot do.
    Jeremy,

I was just wondering why you recommended the Brunton pocket transit. Way back when I was at the IU geologic field station in Montana, I used one of them every day that I was out in the field for stratigraphic mapping. I have one of my own, but it has been a long time since I cared about the strike and dip of bedrock for structure identification. I would probably grab my military surplus tritium compasses or my decent quality Silvas before I would grab my Brunton. I do have a Brunton digital compass that I bought a few years ago on a whim, but really only took it out of the box a couple of times to play with it.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Brunton 8096…
    Somewhere around the $40 range…
    Brunton 8096 Adventure Racing Compass

Brunton International Transit…
    Somewhere north of $500
    Brunton International Pocket Transit

Silva Ranger CLQ 515CLQ
    Somewhere around $50
    Silva Ranger CLQ 515 Compass - Silva Compasses

You can always pick up a Surplus GI Compass also.
    If you are contemplating this route though verify it is accurate before you purchase it.
    Also try to find one of the Tritium Versions also…
    Not uncommon for the Tritium ones to be just South of $100

I actually like the 8096 or the Ranger CLQ for General Land Nav.
    With the International there is little to nothing that you cannot do.
    Jeremy,

I was just wondering why you recommended the Brunton pocket transit. Way back when I was at the IU geologic field station in Montana, I used one of them every day that I was out in the field for stratigraphic mapping. I have one of my own, but it has been a long time since I cared about the strike and dip of bedrock for structure identification. I would probably grab my military surplus tritium compasses or my decent quality Silvas before I would grab my Brunton. I do have a Brunton digital compass that I bought a few years ago on a whim, but really only took it out of the box a couple of times to play with it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Jeremy,

I keep a Pocket Transit in my "Pioneer" Kit. With the simple addition of this Compass to my Kit I can literally build almost anything, and build it anywhere. I was just wanting mainly to demonstrate that there are several options out there under the simple name of a Compass.

I would personally for an everyday Compass go with the Brunton 8096 or the Silva 515 CLQ, or even my Mil-Spec Tritium for everyday Navigation purposes

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Also information for this thread.

Even if you have a compass and a map, if you don't know how to read either you won't be able to navigate..

Free Navigation how to's in PDF

Home

^^ This.

Get a compass that's easy for you to use. Wrist watch compasses serve a purpose for general navigation. Lensatic compasses are more difficult but provide for very accurate orientering. For general navigation (am I headed the right way), I'd stay away from lensatic compasses unless you already know how to use them (meaning you know how to navigate - there's a lot more to it than just shooting an azimuth and walking around) or you have someone that can teach you. It's easier to get lost than to get found.

I cheat nowadays. GPS with rechargable batteries and a hand crank charger.

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    I've had my military lensatic compass for forever and a day. It still gets me there and back. It's what I recommend to my boy scouts too.

Top Bottom