• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    looking at adding a magnifier behind an EoTech 552xr.308 on a RFB. Is there a durable 3 or 4 x magnifier with a sturdy mount (swing to side or flip to side) that comes close to the EoTech or Aimpoint versions? I find it hard to justify spending almost as much for a magnifier/mount that I spent on the sight.

Any I should definitely avoid?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have an EOTech MPO system and the Vortex magnifier is really good compared to the EOTech magnifier. I haven't got to play with the Vortex mount. The EOTech mount is fantastic. You are right, it's damn pricey!

$249 is a really good price AA!

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    did a search for La Rue and found COMBO/Aimpoint 3X Magnifier (#11324) and LT755-30S QD Mount (SHORT) | LaRue Tactical . It is even more expensive than the eotech combo. Is this the one you were thinking of?

I definitely like the price of Vortex better. Called a few places locally and no one has it in stock. Only Kiesler's (Orion Arms) in Jeffersonville even carries it but they are out of stock and no word on when more will be in. OpticPlanet is on back order.

Anyone have this setup? for how long? is the mount staying tight/stable after using it for a significant time. Optics clear/fogfree?

Mellow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Harrison County
    Devils advocate here.
    You say you don't want to spend much. What are your thoughts on Leapers/UTG?
    I've got a dedicated .22 upper that I slapped a UTG red dot and FTS magnifier on. I couldn't justify the EOTech, Aimpoint, or Trijicon ACOG pricetags for a plinking rifle. The UTG FTS magnifier has been great on the low recoil .22. Read the comments on the amazon product page.

Leapers UTG SCP-MF3WQS Product Page
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Magnifier-Innovative-Detach-Picatinny/dp/B005UGINUS"]Amazon Page[/ame]

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just got off the phone with vortex and no one will have the flip.mounts for awhile. If just the magnifier helps you out let me know. I can have it to you by Wednesday

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Check out Primary Arms. I have one of their red dots. I have no reason to believe their magnifiers would not be a very good value.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_Magnifiers_s/910.htm

Primary Arms has excellent customer service as well.

Anyone use one of Primary Arms long eye relief magnifiers and flip to side mounts? thoughts?

I could not find any warranty information on the website. Either on the individual magnifier pages or the FAQ.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Devils advocate here.
    You say you don't want to spend much. What are your thoughts on Leapers/UTG?
    Read the comments on the amazon product page.

Based on the comments on Amazon I think this is not the one I want. If its easier to remove than it is to flip then it is not for me.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Just got off the phone with vortex and no one will have the flip.mounts for awhile. If just the magnifier helps you out let me know. I can have it to you by Wednesday

it might. I definitely like Vortex's warranty.. Do I have to go through them for a problem or could I go through you?

Also, Do you know any other flip type mounts that it work with (have any?) ? If I can find one of those somewhere it might be worth buying each separately.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I don't meant to put words in his mouth, but I think Alan works directly with the customer and then "goes to bat" for you with Vortex. In fact, I think he can even normally send you one of his stock (if he has it) while he works it out the replacement with Vortex. Again these are MY words, not his, but I've yet to hear a SINGLE negative thing about him or his company. His prices are always solid too.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I don't meant to put words in his mouth, but I think Alan works directly with the customer and then "goes to bat" for you with Vortex. In fact, I think he can even normally send you one of his stock (if he has it) while he works it out the replacement with Vortex. Again these are MY words, not his, but I've yet to hear a SINGLE negative thing about him or his company. His prices are always solid too.

This pretty much sums it up, I sell you the product, if you have a issue return it to them or me and get a new one. I'm the only dealer that I'm aware of that has permission or desire to take in warrranty issues. It always costs me some time and money if I take a scope back, but its how I can promise you are happy with your entire experience and it usually earns me a shot at future business

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    This pretty much sums it up, I sell you the product, if you have a issue return it to them or me and get a new one. I'm the only dealer that I'm aware of that has permission or desire to take in warrranty issues. It always costs me some time and money if I take a scope back, but its how I can promise you are happy with your entire experience and it usually earns me a shot at future business

ok.. any suggestions on a mount that will work with it? If we can find one that keeps the total close to the Vortex combo price, I'm in.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I picked up a Vortex Sparc over the weekend, and the quality seemed good considering the price. I haven't messed with their magnifier yet.

I have an Eotech G23 on a Samson flip to side mount, that has an A.R.M.S. throw lever to remove the magnifier. It was a lot of money, but the quality outstanding. The mount is rock solid as well..

In front of it sits an Eotech EXPS. The buttons on the side are a huge improvement from the rearward facing ones when using the magnifier. I've used the G23 with my 552R1, but flipping the optic to the side to get to the optics controls gets pretty annoying.

A budget friendly magnifier that I've had good luck with was the Larue Po Boy. It uses old Hensoldt glass that is reworked by Larue, and sits in a Larue QD mount. They can still be found on the online auction sites and forum classifieds section time to time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ok.. any suggestions on a mount that will work with it? If we can find one that keeps the total close to the Vortex combo price, I'm in.

American Defense MFG, LLC | Browse | Magnifier Mounts | Magnifier Swing Off Mount - Absolute

this is the only swing mount ive ever run with (its who makes the ones i carry) ive never had any issues, but there are alot of folks on here that know more than i do about reddot magnifiers. its just not my area of expertise. that would get you with in 20 bucks of the total price

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    I

I have an Eotech G23 on a Samson flip to side mount, that has an A.R.M.S. throw lever to remove the magnifier. It was a lot of money, but the quality outstanding. The mount is rock solid as well..

A budget friendly magnifier that I've had good luck with was the Larue Po Boy. It uses old Hensoldt glass that is reworked by Larue, and sits in a Larue QD mount. They can still be found on the online auction sites and forum classifieds section time to time.

is this the sampson mount?
    Samson 30mm Quick Flip Optics Rings : Samson Manufacturing

Does look sturdy. Is it spring loaded to flip to the side and then manually push it back to align again?

can't find a video of this particular model on youtube.. well one but it was a 'fail' one, which isn't promising.

Last edited:

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    American Defense MFG, LLC | Browse | Magnifier Mounts | Magnifier Swing Off Mount - Absolute

this is the only swing mount ive ever run with (its who makes the ones i carry) ive never had any issues, but there are alot of folks on here that know more than i do about reddot magnifiers. its just not my area of expertise. that would get you with in 20 bucks of the total price

That sounds close enough in price. Let me see if I can find a youtube video showing how it works.
    found a video:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPwk3beC7dU&feature=fvwrel[/ame]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom