• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    So, what's the best value in pump action and/or semi-auto shotguns. I'm looking for durability, reliability and ease of maintenance.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You can't go wrong with a Rem 870 or a Mossy 500. Tons of aftermarket for them to make the gun exactly what you want.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Best value: Used Wingmaster. There is a reason new Wingmasters are so expensive in today's dollars.

Second best value: Used Benelli M1

Best new semi auto based on your needs: Benelli M2

Supersaver option: older used Mossberg being sold by a kid who got his GF preggers and needs the cash.

That's how I roll. Used 870's and new Benellis. New Berettas too, but for sport and hunting. I will buy any of these used.

The only new wingmaster I ever bought was my first, in 78. The rest are used, probably never spent more then $190 on used and I think I paid $189 for the new one. Used below $250 are harder to find because people get it now, but at rural gun shows you can some people who will deal on one. My last one was $160 in 2013. That was hard to find.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    SHooting volume makes a huge impact on the answer to the question.

I have had Wingmaster 1100's, an 1100 Premier trap model, as well as an 11-87 Premier trap. They were all really good guns. In the multiple thousand round seasons shooting trap events, there were some breakdowns, but they were minor and parts are cheap. Sold them for a little less than I paid, pretty good resale. I bought a Beretta Parallel target model 391. The has a compensated gas system so you have 100% dependable functioning with the lightest through the heaviest loads. It ran and ran and ran. I do not shoot as much as a lot of competitive shotgunners, but I bought 15,000 primers every spring for more than 10 years, and generally ran out before the next spring. The 391 never broke, and the adjustable stock system really works well. Since the new ones keep climbing in price, I sold my used one for more than I paid. THAT is great value!

I shoot o/u guns these days so there is a lot less cleaning involved. Semi autos tend to fill the trigger with un burned powder and soot. If you are on a 200-400 bird weekend program, you will need to clean your trigger with a semi auto.

Pretty much, and not just with guns, a top grade model that is well maintained will return a higher percentage on trade in that a stripped down, entry level model.

For just hunting and occasionally banging away at a few targets, a Mossberg 500 pump costs less than 1/2 of an Americase for a good gun, and will hold up fine.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    You'd need to define "value"
    Do u want to spend $250 or $850??
    Cheapest I'd go is a Maverick 88 (which is 90% mossberg 500 parts) they can be had for about $200 new if u find a sale.
    If your budget is $250-350, then look at basic Rem 870s (called the "express") or a basic Mossberg 500.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I agree with Tony, its tough to beat a Maverick 88. Right at $200 bucks for a brand new one and they function great. But really any Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 will get the job done and wont break the bank.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    For about $500 you can get a plain jane Mossberg 930 semi-auto. IMO, the Remington Versamax Tactical has gotten my attention for versatility.

If you're going to get any shotgun, I'd go with something that has a mag tube cap and not a bolt on the barrel lug. The Mossberg 500 is easy to change the 5 round tube out for an 8 round tube, but you're stuck buying a new barrel and options are limited. With a Mossberg 590, Remington 870 etc the barrel you have will work with a mag tube extension. On mag tubes with dimples, hammer a socket inside the tube to swage the dimples out, don't drill them or ream them. (You actually use several sockets of increasing diameter to gradually swage the dimples out)

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Assuming you're looking for a tactical/home defense shotgun, I'm a fan of Mossberg 500/590s and Remington 870s. Just a few minor differences between the two in safety and action release locations but you can't go wrong with either and plenty of aftermarket parts for whatever you're wanting to put on it; stocks, lights, grips, sights, mag extensions, optics, slings, spare ammo, etc.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Don't discredit the H&R single shots. You can pick up a good used one for 100 or so. Light, easy to carry, durable.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If we're talking "value" as best bang for your buck, it's hard to beat a Norinco 98. Yeah, it's a Chinese 870 clone, but my 98 is way better built than my 870 Express and its half the cost. My 870 (as many are) was notorious for aluminum cased shells sticking in the chamber... The 98 eats them no problem. All the 870 parts/accessories (except for barrel) are interchangeable.

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IIRC many of the Mossberg 500 add-ons don't fit the Maverick, though that may have changed.

For "value", you're really only looking at pumps, maybe you can find a good deal on a used Beretta or Benelli. And there is no "value" over/under for less than about $1800.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    One shotgun ownership is not enough. I have a 28in bbl- Winchester Semi Auto, 18 1/2 in bbl- Mossberg 500, Survivor stocked Harrington & Richard Single shot. The Moss 500 has been tac'd out for home defense. Has many options, sling, and home applied Desert Tiger Stripe camo paint on plastic stock parts.(left blued parts alone, so can go stock with wood original if in future) Shoots slugs and 00 buck no issues. Winchester is a bird/rabbit/ General purpose gun only holds three rounds due to hunting applications.
    The single shot is a SHTF gun. Holds survival kit/folding Buck knife, bandana in bottom of stock. I used camo tape to cover barrel, taped all loose straps/slings, and has brought home a 6 point Buck couple seasons ago. Has a 20 in bbl nickel plated(used camo to break up reflections-works). Simple gun, easy to use. Trunk gun on occasion with a 25 rd bandoleer of mixed 12 ga shells. Has a shell cuff for exrtra rounds too.
    If limited to one, Rem 870 or Moss 500 would be my choice. Lots of options are available.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    870 action on a shelf at Dave's in Holland, IN.
    A can of Durabake
    Chinese 20" barrel and heat shroud
    Hogue stock
    Mag extension
    Various parts bin items
    Cheap laser
    Moderately cheap flashlight
    Sling
    $400.00 tops, never sell it

IMG_2714.JPG

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter