• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    There is a reason the remington 870 is the best selling shotgun ever......

Well, the World turns and things change. The only reason it is has held onto the #1 spot, at least for now, is because it has been selling for almost a decade longer than the Mossberg 500. The Mosberg 500 is the current best selling shotgun, and has been for a while. Once the Mossberg 500 catches, then surpasses the Remington 870 it totals sales, will it get any special recognition?

I love both brands of shotguns, by the way...

spqr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    For a self-defense shotgun, a Rem 870 is hard to beat (I have several), however, they DO NOT like aluminum cased shells! I've been to various shotgun classes and I've seen Benellis puke, I've seen Kel-Tec KSGs puke, but I've never seen a Rem 870 or Mossberg puke! I also had a Scattergun Technologies Rem 11-87 which ran great until the third day of shooting without cleaning...then it decided to have feeding issues, and it would never feed low-brass even when clean (since I had to feed it only 00-buck and slugs, it became a very expensive shotgun class), consequently, I sold it and switched to 870s and have never looked back! I have been reading good things about the Mossberg 930 semi-auto and am tempted...

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    In the lower budget shotguns I've had a Winchester 1300, Maverick 88, Mossberg 500, and 870 tactical. While all were good, I think the best bang was the Mav 88. picked it up with two barrels used for about 150ish. I had the most rounds through the Mav 88 as well. In short, I think that its a killer deal. basically a cheaper Mossberg 500. The 1300 was the coolest of them all. It has a rotary bolt and I always liked how it worked.

My advice if you go with an 870 is NOT to buy the tactical unless all you are gonna do with it is home defense. its kind of a bastard as far as 870s go as it won't take a standard barrel. I bought mine on a whim and kinda regret it. It does what I wanted it to do just fine, but I would have appreciated it taking a longer barrel if I wanted it to.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    For pumps - mossberg 500 has been everything in a pump action that I could ask for.

semi- not much experience, but I recently acquired a used Winchester sx3 for around $500 mark, and at that price it's an amazing shotgun for birds and skeet; I never understood when people talked about a balanced shotgun until I held an sx3. New they are a bit pricey at around $900, but I think they're 100% worth it!

Top Bottom