• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    Mosin-Nagants at around $100 seem like a steal. Are there any other great values around right now? AK-47s at $400 seem a little high, but still a good price/performance combination-- do you think this price will go up or down? Other bargains right now? I need a rifle or two to round out my collection.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    SKS ('s, es, eses?) are still relatively cheap but they have, and seem to continue to go up in price. If you find a paratrooper model I would say grab it! Same goes for a Mosin M38/M44.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Mosin-Nagants at around $100 seem like a steal. Are there any other great values around right now? AK-47s at $400 seem a little high, but still a good price/performance combination-- do you think this price will go up or down? Other bargains right now? I need a rifle or two to round out my collection.

I have a MOSIN-NAGANT, It shoot good, for an ugly rifle, just make sure after you shoot it you clean the barrel with WINDEX Glass cleaner first before using soluvent, because the ammo is CORROSIVE:twocents:

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    Why is this ammo so corrosive?
    Basically from what I have heard, corrosive ammo conducts a different chemical reaction. This leaves salt compounds in the barrel that cause pitting if you don't clean it out after shooting. Hoppes and other solvents won't get it out. Just like any other salt, it dissolves in a water based solution. This is why people use windex, but honestly some hot soapy water does the trick just as well. After I get finished shooting my M44, I run several patches with hot soapy water through the barrel to dissolve the corrosive salts, then clean as normal with the solvent of your choice. I've never had a problem doing it that way thus far.

As a side note, you can buy non corrosive 7.62x54r, but its WAY more expensive than milsurp stuff. Buy corrosive, have fun, and clean soon after you're done shooting and you will be fine. :twocents:

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Corrosive ammo has salt in with the powder. They did so to help keep the powder dry. So, when you fire it, you will get salt in your action and barrel. Left it uncleaned, and you will get pitting. Salt is very corrosive, and loves to eat of metals.

I just picked up a beautiful Mosin 51/59. I have been looking for a while, but all the ones I came across. Where is really bad shape.

I also have a post ban Maadi ARM (Egyptian) AK that I lightly modified. The finish is in rough shape, but it's a rifle I can beat around, and not worry about hurting it. If it was just a plinker. I would put it back to original configuration, and have it re-finished. They are great rifles for the money. They can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Most of the SKS's I have ran across are Chinese. One reason I never took the plunge. I would much rather have a Russian model, if I decided to buy one. It's just a personal thing.

If I only had the money for a nice M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A1, and an M14. Oh do I wish. :(

My Maadi ARM AK

003-20.jpg

Mosin 91/59

001-37.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a MOSIN-NAGANT, It shoot good, for an ugly rifle, just make sure after you shoot it you clean the barrel with WINDEX Glass cleaner first before using soluvent, because the ammo is CORROSIVE:twocents:

Windex is unnecessary. You can dissolve the salts just by flushing the barrel with plain water before cleaning. When I shoot my Mosins, I bring a funnel, a bottle of water, a bore snake, and a bottle of oil or CLP. Pour a little water through, then an oiled boresnake to remove the water and prevent rust. Thorough cleaning at my leisure.

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I'm tall (6'4") so the length of the M91 is appealing. Not ugly to me! Great pictures, thanks. I'm leaning towards the Mosin and an AK, then maybe pick up an SKS this summer.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You can still sometimes come across a nice SKS shooter for decent price, just have to keep an eye out. Great shooters an cheap ammo for them, I have alot of fun with mine.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    You can still find Czech VZ 24 Mausers for less than $200, K98 Mausers and Swiss Ruben K31 for around $250..along with SKS but you will in the most part have the same concern with corrosive primers...which is no big deal, just a bit more diligence in cleaning..it is really hard to beat the Mosins for the price with surplus ammo at a reasonable price...and there are enough different models and variations to keep them interesting and collectable. Do not believe the prices will drop on any firearm any time soon concidering the political bent of the present administration. IMO :) Good luck on rounding out your collection.. I have been trying to do that for years...and two gun safes ago:):

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If you unconflate 'value' and 'cheap' a Kimber Montana is a fantastic value.

New ones have fallen below $1k and you'll see used ones go just under $700.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm tall (6'4") so the length of the M91 is appealing. Not ugly to me! Great pictures, thanks. I'm leaning towards the Mosin and an AK, then maybe pick up an SKS this summer.

I added a 1" extended butt pad to my Mosin. I do not have real long arms, but the rifle now feels more comfortable.

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    Kimber looks like a nice rifle at a reasonable price, thanks for the lead. I also don't know much about Enfields or Mausers, lots to learn.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Corrosive ammo has salt in with the powder. They did so to help keep the powder dry. So, when you fire it, you will get salt in your action and barrel. Left it uncleaned, and you will get pitting. Salt is very corrosive, and loves to eat of metals.

Nope. The most commonly used compound in corrosive primers is potassium perchlorate. When fired this produces heat(the flame that ignites the powder), oxygen, and potassium chloride, a salt. This chloride is deposited on any surface the primer and powder gases come into contact with, i.e. the bore, etc. This salt, the potassium chloride, is extremely hygroscopic, meaning it loves water, so it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and causes rusting. However, this property is also what makes it so easy to get rid of while cleaning. It binds to water better than metal, so using water or water based solution removes it easily and quickly.
    There is no need whatsoever to add salt to the powder. In fact a salt that attracts moisiture will continue to attract moisture, thus actually increasing the wetness of the powder. Depending on the type of salt used, it can actually cause ignition due to the heat produced.
    I'm not a chemist, just have done quite a lot of reading and hands on research of the subject.

Top Bottom