• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Which war movies not series do think are the best of all time. Im gonna put a few of my out there Battle of the Bulge, Guns of Navarone, Enemy at the gates, and Kelly's Heroes. Discuss

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I liked Midway, and recently Flyboys was pretty good, although not tons of battle action. There was one many years back, I think it was called the final countdown, where a modern aircraft carrier somehow went back in time and could have prevented Pearl Harbor. It was kinda hokie, but I enjoyed watching it.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    We Were Soldiers is a great movie. Saving Private Ryan. Kelly's Heroes is a great campy war comedy/drama. Patton with George C Scott is great cinema, even if it's not a historically accurate record. There's tons of great war movies. 300 was awesome as well. Yes, I know it's based off of a graphic novel, and yes I realize it is not remotely accurate historically, but I still liked it. There's probably too many to mention, but you can't argue that war flicks are one of the best, and most popular, genres ever.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    "Tora Tora Tora!"

First WWII movie made with the cooperation of the Japanese and presented the enemy's point of view in a way not seen again until "Empire of the Sun" or "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Wow, the longest day, big red one, Saving Private Ryan has to be the best ever film of wwii, saw Platoon when it came out spent a very quiet nite at home reflecting afterwards...
    There are too many to list, but another favorite, Cross Of Iron, book was better but the movie is a favorite

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The Great Escape with Steve McQueen was another good one and one of my favories was "BattleGround" also Bridge over the River Kwai and Stalag 17 and ofcourse who could forget "The Green Berets"

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan and Enemy At The Gates are the first 3 that come to mind.

We Were Soldiers is about 2 1/2 hours long, but I remember being pissed when it was over because I could have watched about 5 hours of that movie.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan and Enemy At The Gates are the first 3 that come to mind.

We Were Soldiers is about 2 1/2 hours long, but I remember being pissed when it was over because I could have watched about 5 hours of that movie.

seriously

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Heartbreak ridge

and the first half of Full Metal Jacket!

For me, hearbreak ridge is one of the worst JMHO. The idea of a marine recon platoon being a bunch of lazy slackers just ruined it for me and I'm army.

The Longest Day and Midway are my go to movies.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I think Mel Gibson has some serious issues but I always kinda liked "The Patriot" and even "Braveheart" for that matter. (You didn't say American wars :): )

gibson.gif

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    A Bridge Too Far, fabulous music and the loading and dropping of the airborne troops is something I could watch every day. Next, Patton and Private Ryan, Battle of the Bulge (loved the scene where the German Tankers sang the panzerlied: "Ob Sturm Oder Schneit")

Top Bottom