• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Which war movies not series do think are the best of all time. Im gonna put a few of my out there Battle of the Bulge, Guns of Navarone, Enemy at the gates, and Kelly's Heroes. Discuss

Battle of the Bulge is kind of fun, but the historian in me screams in pain every time it's on. WHERE IS THE DAMNED SNOW? WHERE IS THE FOREST? The battle DID NOT TAKE PLACE IN A DESERT!!!! (Sorry, the historian is very excitable....) If it weren't for the wonderful use of the Panzerlied as the musical base for the soundtrack, I wouldn't be able to stand it again. The scene where the young recruits sing the song is stirring, and still one of my favorite renditions of the song (am I a bad man cause I have lots of German war music on my computer?).

I think one of my favorites of all time was A Bridge Too Far. There's so much good stuff in that movie.

I love Guns of Navarone and Magnificent Seven. Those are two of the over-the-top fictional war flicks I enjoy again and again.

Favorite boatie flick has to be Enemy Below (the movie that turned me on to the piece of music der Alte Dessaur).

The best Vietnam flick, hands down, was We Were Soldiers. Hella flick. Get the disc (or Netflix it) and watch the deleted scenes -- especially the one that tells about the hardass MoH winner who was terrified of THEIR sergeant.

Oh, hey. How about The Big Red One? Lotta great stuff in that flick.

Love Patton. Ditto Tora Tora Tora. Ditto The Longest Day (except for the Red Buttons nonsense).

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    1. Ironclad - outstanding battle movie and a must watch if you want to know the early origins of our US Constitution, i.e. The Magna Carta. As I see it, The Magna Carta and The US Constitution have led the human race into the future because they are what is right and natural. It would be a great loss to let liberty slide backwards anymore than it already has. Watch it, you won't be disappointed and be glad we have guns now.

2. Enemy At The Gates - people and countries win because of what is right, not might.

3. The Train - this Nazi era movie is not blood n guts with battles up the whazoo but it says something of great importance if you're willing to listen. It's also in black n white but the film quality is extremely high in all regards.

There are many other war/battle films (real or fiction) worth mentioning from all points in history but these three will do just fine.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    though i do enjoy many of the classics listed here and even some of the more recent movies about wars of the past, i am somewhat partial to the newer stuff as i can relate. Generation Kill is my number one and a close second would be band of brothers. the hbo mini series movies are long enough that i feel like im getting a personal relationship and intimate knowledge of the guys in the units and i love that!!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    though i do enjoy many of the classics listed here and even some of the more recent movies about wars of the past, i am somewhat partial to the newer stuff as i can relate. Generation Kill is my number one and a close second would be band of brothers. the hbo mini series movies are long enough that i feel like im getting a personal relationship and intimate knowledge of the guys in the units and i love that!!

Have you seen The Pacific? I'm halfway through it and it's starting to overtake Band of Brothers.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Have you seen The Pacific? I'm halfway through it and it's starting to overtake Band of Brothers.

only one episode that was in the middle of the series. i plan to watch it sometime when i do have the time to watch it all in a week or so.. i like to do it all very close together. but if it is in the same league as Band of Brothers, it must be awesome!!:popcorn:

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    black hawk down, tears of the sun, saving private ryan, 9th company, we were soldiers

(Although they arent war "movies" but "the pacific" and Band of brothers are amazing too)

Top Bottom