• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't have the time or desire to research and purchase all of the components to build an AR. I would rather buy a good complete version that I can just go shoot.

I couldn't agree more that is why I go with a Mil-spec good to go rifle that I can add my own optic and sling to and run.

Several good/quality good to go rifles out there, the Colt 6920 meets the specs and a good price, I would at least use that rifle as a starting point when comparing rifles.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    I couldn't agree more that is why I go with a Mil-spec good to go rifle that I can add my own optic and sling to and run.

Several good/quality good to go rifles out there, the Colt 6920 meets the specs and a good price, I would at least use that rifle as a starting point when comparing rifles.

+1

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Just come over, and visit one of us, Mil., Vets..... I will teach you all you want to know for lunch .....

Pick between a Colt M4 with regular furniture or one with Magpul hardware...

Enjoy and never look back.

What part of Indy are you in? Lots of us with AR's who could show you the ropes, everyone sets theirs up differently so after you look/feel several you will start to see what works for you and what doesn't.

What do you want to do with the rifle?

What is your budget?

Do you have other firearms? If so I'd bet some of them are more complex than an AR15.

Now is a great time to buy or build an AR15. Quite possibly the best I've seen in ten years. The options are never ending and it's very easy to have exactly what you want.

The good outnumbers the bad so much that we rarely hear about the bad ones anymore. Some people still say negative things about Olympic, Bushmaster and some others but I've never seen them out in the wild to form my own opinion.

If I was smart I would stop buying knives and stockpile AR's. I know someday I'll regret it.

How much time are you willing to spend reading about AR's? How much time are you willing to commit to watching multiple youtube videos about them? If you order a build kit, you will spend less time reading and watching to actually assemble it yourself. And you will probably learn more as well because it is hands on. That said, buy a lower build ki and a complete upper and you really don't need any special tools.

If you're a reader, pick up the latest edition of Patrick Sweeney's Gunsmithing the AR15. Well worth the read.

Wow. Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread, I wasnt expecting this many responses. I consider myself a Noob when it comes to Guns. I do have a Springfield xdm 9mm, and a Ruger 10/22 that I enjoy shooting. I am located in Warren Township, so yes it would be nice if I could hook up with some one in the area to learn the ropes.

I work in IT so my personality is Analytical so yes I'll read and probably over analyze this. I have literally just started looking into this this past weekend. I've only checked out a couple you tube videos and they were ok, but there are thousands it's just a matter of hitting the right ones.

Budget, I havent really gotten that far. From the little I know I'll say 800-1000. I dont want to go too entry level, but I dont need to go high end either. Uses would be Targeting, home/personal protection.

Thanks again.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    US Defense Solutions in Greenwood is having an AR build party. Contact them to find out about attending and just watching. Chad@USDS.biz
    I agree the best way to learn is to build one and the next best way is to watch someone else build one.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Wow. Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread, I wasnt expecting this many responses. I consider myself a Noob when it comes to Guns. I do have a Springfield xdm 9mm, and a Ruger 10/22 that I enjoy shooting. I am located in Warren Township, so yes it would be nice if I could hook up with some one in the area to learn the ropes.

I work in IT so my personality is Analytical so yes I'll read and probably over analyze this. I have literally just started looking into this this past weekend. I've only checked out a couple you tube videos and they were ok, but there are thousands it's just a matter of hitting the right ones.

Budget, I havent really gotten that far. From the little I know I'll say 800-1000. I dont want to go too entry level, but I dont need to go high end either. Uses would be Targeting, home/personal protection.

Thanks again.

Colt M4 Carbine LE6920 Magpul MOE FDE .223/5.56 NATO 16-inch 30Rd Online Gun Store

Keeps you under 1k, add sling and optic later.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    If you go Colt take a look at the AR6720 w/ lightweight barrel for as little as $800 at PSA when in stock. Customize it as you see fit with some Magpul or BCM components for little money just keep it simple and light. Add an ALG trigger, or a Geissele with the money you saved, and an optic or not. I believe the 6720 gets overlooked. It will serve you well in competition, classes or range work.

Colt AR-15A4 Lightweight LE Carbine, 5.56 NATO, 16" Pencil Barrel AR6720

Colt AR-15 A4 Tactical Carbine 5.56x45 NATO with Lightweight Barrel | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore

Triggers - AR15 / AR10 - Lower Parts

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Go to Brownells and buy the DVD that they have on building a AR. It will show you everything you want to know about AR. It is a very well dun DVD. I think it cost $20.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Best ways to learn in order.

1. Handle one. Find someone with one that will let you handle it, work it, field strip it. Have them show you the parts, what parts wear, what parts are static, how the mechanism operates, etc... This is the best way in my opinion as it doesn't involve money, just time and friendly collaboration.

2. Build one. This is only second because I expect, before building, plenty of research in parts, economy, quality, and a thorough discussion here or elsewhere on the merits of your build and what's missing, too much, or where you might be able to improve with little to no cost increase. This involves time, money, and friendly collaboration as well. I had a lot of help with my first build, took me about 2 years to complete and was a fun trip. I learned a lot about AR's and the in's and out's of them along the way.

3. Buy one. I recommend this for someone who doesn't want to know the system intimately but wants to shoot, particularly on a budget. I have found that while building "can" be cheaper, it rarely is because our nature is "want" and "want" is spensive.

I myself did both 1 and 2. I was lucky enough to go to a NFA Day when they were still a regular occurrence and learned to shoot a M16, so my first experience with that type of rifle was with a M16 (still puts a smile on my face), I was sold. First AK shot was also a MG. Friendly people ensuring safety and hands on experience is, in my opinion, the best way. Building gave me insight into everything in the AR, from pins and springs to rails and BCG's. I'm no expert but I know my way around and have installed more triggers, buffers, stocks and LPK's than I care to have done. Break it down, put it together, break it down again, put it back together. You learn the how too's real quick when you forget to do "A" before "B" and forget to install "C" before "D". The combination of handling the firearm in a safe environment followed by research and building my own left me competent and comfortable with my knowledge. Beyond that, research, research, research. You cannot read enough. Plenty of sites, references, etc given above to help you out there.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    What Chez said... you can read about them all day, but if you build one it all makes sense.

US Defense Solutions has a build class coming up soon that you could probably get in on. That's a great way to get started. Hell, you can just sign up for the class and watch others build them. That's just as fun.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This guy will explain everything you need to know about the AR-15.
    [video=youtube;iJmFEv6BHM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJmFEv6BHM0[/video]

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    US Defense Solutions in Greenwood is having an AR build party. Contact them to find out about attending and just watching. Chad@USDS.biz
    I agree the best way to learn is to build one and the next best way is to watch someone else build one.

This guy will explain everything you need to know about the AR-15.
    [video=youtube;iJmFEv6BHM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJmFEv6BHM0[/video]

Best ways to learn in order.

1. Handle one. Find someone with one that will let you handle it, work it, field strip it. Have them show you the parts, what parts wear, what parts are static, how the mechanism operates, etc... This is the best way in my opinion as it doesn't involve money, just time and friendly collaboration.

2. Build one. This is only second because I expect, before building, plenty of research in parts, economy, quality, and a thorough discussion here or elsewhere on the merits of your build and what's missing, too much, or where you might be able to improve with little to no cost increase. This involves time, money, and friendly collaboration as well. I had a lot of help with my first build, took me about 2 years to complete and was a fun trip. I learned a lot about AR's and the in's and out's of them along the way.

3. Buy one. I recommend this for someone who doesn't want to know the system intimately but wants to shoot, particularly on a budget. I have found that while building "can" be cheaper, it rarely is because our nature is "want" and "want" is spensive.

I myself did both 1 and 2. I was lucky enough to go to a NFA Day when they were still a regular occurrence and learned to shoot a M16, so my first experience with that type of rifle was with a M16 (still puts a smile on my face), I was sold. First AK shot was also a MG. Friendly people ensuring safety and hands on experience is, in my opinion, the best way. Building gave me insight into everything in the AR, from pins and springs to rails and BCG's. I'm no expert but I know my way around and have installed more triggers, buffers, stocks and LPK's than I care to have done. Break it down, put it together, break it down again, put it back together. You learn the how too's real quick when you forget to do "A" before "B" and forget to install "C" before "D". The combination of handling the firearm in a safe environment followed by research and building my own left me competent and comfortable with my knowledge. Beyond that, research, research, research. You cannot read enough. Plenty of sites, references, etc given above to help you out there.

What Chez said... you can read about them all day, but if you build one it all makes sense.

US Defense Solutions has a build class coming up soon that you could probably get in on. That's a great way to get started. Hell, you can just sign up for the class and watch others build them. That's just as fun.

Lol. I already know more than the guy in the video. You now the Leo in the background is thinking you Dumb arse. Amazing that these people get elected and that they speak about a topic they know 0 about.

I like the idea of going to a build party. I'll contact them and see when it is or if they have them on a scheduled basis. My schedule is a bit crazy for the next several weeks.

I like the idea of holding one. I havent had time yet to hit BGF and Highsmiths to speak to them.

Again thank you everyone who responded, you've given me plenty of options to read & research. That will keep me very busy.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Ad definitely check around on reviews of parts and companies before you buy their products. There is SOOoOo much garbage out there in the AR world now it isn't funny.

avoid UTG, NC Star and pretty much anything Chinese made. Lots and lots of no name junk out there now by the Chinese trying to cash in on the AR fad.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Thanks again.

I am off Wed., and Fri., pm, or e mail, and we can get together ......

Last edited:
    Top Bottom