• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I understand there is NO good answer but... After July 4th, we are traveling from Ft. Wayne to Glacier National Park. What is the recommended route thru/around Chicago on the morning of 5 July? Taking US 30 in and leaving on I-90 out. Thanks

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just plan on leaving Ft. Wayne about 3 or 4 am. Traffic will be light and you can zip right through whatever route you want to.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You can pretty much avoid the whole mess by taking I-80 to I-39 and north on I-39 into WI.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Fast, with guns blazing... and if you don't like guns, there's a cinematic guide called "The Blues Brothers." Just don't **** off anyone in Ohio or country music singers.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Going through to Janesville, WI and points west or north, this is the route I normally take.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/For...761fcdbec0!2m2!1d-89.0187222!2d42.6827885!3e0

I have tried continuing into Illinois on US-30, and it is not a good idea.

I can see some advantages to taking I-80 to I-39, but it takes you a good distance south before you head north; I dislike the back-tracking and taking the right angle instead of the hypotenuse by following the preferred route. I also take Bigtanker's advice and leave very early to avoid the traffic on I-290/294.

Safe journey.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Just plan on leaving Ft. Wayne about 3 or 4 am. Traffic will be light and you can zip right through whatever route you want to.
    I get off duty at 0700 on the 5th and plan on leaving as soon as I get home. Otherwise, I would do as you suggest. Just do not feel like postponing vacation 21 hours to save a lil headache around Chicago.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Fast, with guns blazing... and if you don't like guns, there's a cinematic guide called "The Blues Brothers." Just don't **** off anyone in Ohio or country music singers.

One can always count on at least 1 suggestion that cracks a smile. I will have a full tank of gas, no cigarettes, it wont be dark but I will have sunglasses. We will be starting from 10 min West of Ohio and there is a very good chance both kinds of music will be played, County and Western.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Going through to Janesville, WI and points west or north, this is the route I normally take.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/For...761fcdbec0!2m2!1d-89.0187222!2d42.6827885!3e0

I have tried continuing into Illinois on US-30, and it is not a good idea.

I can see some advantages to taking I-80 to I-39, but it takes you a good distance south before you head north; I dislike the back-tracking and taking the right angle instead of the hypotenuse by following the preferred route. I also take Bigtanker's advice and leave very early to avoid the traffic on I-290/294.

Safe journey.

Thanks.
    I feel the same way about going out of the way. The route you sent is exactly the same I had mapped for me by google maps and mapquest. Biggest downside is it's a Toll road and I do not have IPASS. Up side is every mile away from Chicago is a mile closer to Glacier NP and, Virginia City, MT. Deadwood, SD, and a cabin near Devils Tower, WY.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    When I was a truck driver I would run 30 west out of fort Wayne to 49 (just before Valpo) up to 94 and go around Merrillville. If you want to run straight up through Chicago stop somewhere around the state line ( many truck stops there) and wait until midnight. Otherwise, take 294.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Just buy yourself an iPass and choose the best route irregardless of tolls. I think they are pretty cheap and easy to set up. Small investment compared to the total cost of your trip plus you save yourself some time and stress. If you don't buy a pass bring lots of change.

Drove to Glacier about 15 years ago. A looooong drive but the destination is worth it. Stop at a few cheesy tourist traps just for a mental break. Enjoy.

As noted from FW jump off US 30 and take 49 north to avoid Valpo/Merriville which is like doing loops on Coliseum Blvd. from IPFW to Glenbrook and back. Have had to take US 30 into Illinois and south of Chicago in the past. Avoid this choice if you can, bad roads, bad traffic and really bad people.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If you are taking I80 West and not taking 294 or 355 North you are only paying one toll. I80 is spectacularly unreliable from 65 all the way to Joliet particularly during rush hour and 10 or more mile backups are common on that entire stretch. I am just North of Lowell. I had a guy that used to take 30 to route 2 when visiting me and claimed that travel time was the same as taking 94. When I go to Joliet or that direction I take back roads all the way to Joliet. My GPS program tells me I am losing about 5 minutes but experience tells me that in reality I save time and angst avoiding the drama on I80. I could give cliff notes on my recommended route but you would need a gps or good map skills to follow it

Top Bottom