• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I always keep a gun with me in the car. Usually it is either on my hip on in the glove box. Does anyone have ideas for a place in the car to affix a handgun that gives easy access to it in case of an an emergency? I am not looking for a safe, but a permanent or semi-permanent holster would be preferred? Any product suggestions? Any suggestions for its placement?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I've seen some put a holster between the seats and transfer from hip to car holster and back out each and every time they're in and out of the vehicle. Can't leave it behind with the obvious theft target, but it may make long journeys more comfortable or make the gun more accessible if you need to use it to get into a position to get the car out of dodge.

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    I usually carry 4 o'clock, which is hard to draw in the car. I haven't done it yet, but I'd like to mount a Blackhawk Serpa in my Jeep. I haven't decided where for sure, but I'm leaning towards mounting it under my steering column (I wouldn't leave it there unattended though).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    No matter what holster you use make sure it has good retention, you dont want to crash and do rollovers with a heavy piece of steel flying all over and possibly hitting you in the face.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I always keep a gun with me in the car. Usually it is either on my hip on in the glove box. Does anyone have ideas for a place in the car to affix a handgun that gives easy access to it in case of an an emergency? I am not looking for a safe, but a permanent or semi-permanent holster would be preferred? Any product suggestions? Any suggestions for its placement?

I'm a southpaw...so best way for me is 8 o'clock.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    I carry my Kahrs in Remora holsters in the car. You can tuck them between the seat and column. The 'sticky' outer side allows draws from many locations.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm cut from a different cloth here, I really like my shoulder holster for long rides and all the time in the winter. It hides a full side 1911 pretty well on me and I wouldn't consider myself huge (6", 200lbs).

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Why have it somewhere in the vehicle? I carry cross draw on my left side and it is right there for immediate use in a vehicle. You can access it without seat or shoulder belts being in the way and as you draw it it is already pointed at the driver's door. The next easiest, I've found, is on your left ankle.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I'm a southpaw and use hand controls in my truck because of reasons evident in my avatar. I carry my EDC at 8 o'clock which I can't access while I work throttle/brake with left hand. Therefore, a S&W model 37 sits in center console holstered attached to console. I can work the handgun in all directions while maintaining throttle/brake control.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm a southpaw and use hand controls in my truck because of reasons evident in my avatar. I carry my EDC at 8 o'clock which I can't access while I work throttle/brake with left hand. Therefore, a S&W model 37 sits in center console holstered attached to console. I can work the handgun in all directions while maintaining throttle/brake control.

This is admirable and awesome.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have a coated magnet I bought at the 1500, I like it. Have not been in a crash to see how well it will hold my gun. Hope I don't find out the hard way.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think holsters are going to be my main motive for going to the 1500 next weekend. Although, whenever I have a motive at the gun show, I usually come out with more goodies than I can afford! But, looking on the brighter side, I will at least have a better way of carrying in the POV.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    On a side note to this thread.... if you are someone who carries holstered on your hip while you are driving......

PLEASE do yourself the favor of practicing drawing from your holster with what would be an assumptive seat belt on or in the way.
    Obviously unloaded and in a private place/at home/in your garage...
    But if you're unsure of what a possible SHTF situation could look like in the event of a carjacker or BG with a gun tries to attack you,
    see how quickly and SAFELY you can draw from your holster.
    After doing so, you may or may not reconsider a "quick draw" holster to keep the firearm secured in while you're in your vehicle.

Top Bottom