Best Way to Cut Case Off of Deprimer Die?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I don't if this will help, RCBS make 2 different Stuck Case Remover tool. Part # 9340 and 9355. The 9340 retails for $22.95 the 9340 is $9.95. I never had to use these kit so I can't give a good opinion, however it is an cheap option.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Soo....what's the status? Have you tried lubing it with your tears?

I bet Kirk's tears only make the cases grow chest hair, listen to conservative radio programs, and eat bacon
    (I don't know Kirk personally, but from his vast posting, I'm guessing these aren't too far off base) (add purple if anyone is about to get offended)

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    Of course this has never happened to me, but if it did, this is how to get it off.
    What you need to do is screw the die down into the (single stage hopefully) press then remove the shellholder from the ram and place it on the stuck case where there is some rim left, now raise the ram to get the shellholder inserted. A little oil is good, then lift the handle to pull case off.
    The leverage of the handle makes it easy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks, SSE, I now have a few options.

Dillon says that I need a new decap assembly and knurled knob for the die, but not going to give up that easy.:D

I mean, why pass up an opportunity to hurt myself straining or setting myself on fire?:D

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I mean, why pass up an opportunity to hurt myself straining or setting myself on fire?:D

Please let there be video, please let there be video, please let there be video...

excited1.gif

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Carbide die? Just grab on to it with pliars and put a torch on it. The melting points are about 1000 degrees apart, so I doubt you'd hurt the carbide. And even if you do, it's just the pin.

Keep in mind that tungsten carbide isn't just tungsten carbide, it's fine granules of TC held into a binder metal that may have a different melt temperature.

That being said: TC has a melt temp of ~5200 deg. F and brass has a melt temp of ~1700 deg. F, a lot more than 1000 degrees (so you may have already been taking my above comment into consideration?)

Ok, ok, on to the real reason I posted. Small thread-jack, did you know that TC "popcorns" at high temperatures? It quite literally expands into a large fluffy "clump" that looks similar to how popcorn expands when it pops. See here for more: popcorned carbide

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I just got my new shiny Hornady press and Redding dies so I'm just watching... No comment or advice from the peanut gallery here...

:popcorn:

Hipp Hipp Hoo :ingo:

The case does appear deformed about midway down so maybe heat there?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Case cut off this weekend. Managed to nick knurled knob on the decapping pin--knurled knob separated as soon as I touched it to take it off the decapping pin. Did not injure self . . . somehow.

Complete die off to Arizona today. Will report back.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Checked my P.O. Box this morning, brand new die back from Arizona already.

One week turnaround via USPS both ways (I sent it out Priority, Dillon sent to me 1st Class). Impressive.

Top Bottom