• ...and so much more!
  • inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    First time poster here... Here goes!

I'm finally to the point in my life where I'm ready to purchase my first handgun. The kids are older and the wife is on-board with ownership. I've done a lot of research (a few weeks worth) into what I want and why I want it. Leaving those details aside (make / model / etc), I've done some internet searching to find a dealer near where I live (NE Indy) that sells what I want. Unfortunately, stock appears to change faster than most places can keep their web sites up to date. The best you can find is what brands they represent - and they all seem to represent most.

My question is: what's the best way to locate the specific model of handgun that you desire? I really don't want to spend a lot of time running from shop to shop - but if that's what I have to do, then so be-it.

TIA!

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Do you already know what you want? Have you shot one yet?

If not, head to a range and rent whatever you can to see what works for you.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    When I'm looking for a specific model I call each shop before I start driving. Most shops are happy to tell you if they have a model in stock or not. I usually start with Plainfield Shooting Supplies in Plainfield IN and have only had to go to different shop one time because did not have what I wanted in stock. So my advice start with the phone calls.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Have you done any business with any shop near you?
    Whether or not, you may find one that will let you ship a firearm to them,
    most of the shops here in Indy charge
    $20 to $25 for this service.
    I have gotten some really good deals buying on-line from places like gunbroker.com etc. These days based on pics and feedbacks, I have not been disappointed yet, and I'm picky about my firearms.
    Or you can post what it is in want to buy forums (this site requires 50 quality posts) to do it here, but there are other gun forums.:twocents:

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I have not done any business with any local shops. You can consider me a complete noob. But I think I'm at least informed because I have been doing a lot of reading here (and elsewhere). Along with talking to friends and co-workers who are also owners.

I think the advice I've gotten is pretty obvious: let my fingers do the walking and start calling around and see who's got what in what I'm looking for. Being that I'm brand spankin new to all of this I was just looking to avoid any and all hassles I possibly can. (Hence asking for advice here!)

I didn't post what I was looking for mostly to shy away from the "this model/brand vs that model/brand" discussion and I didn't want my first post to be viewed as a way to circumvent the WTS/WTB rules. ;)

Good advice gang, thank you!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you're in NE Indiana, go see Britton at 21st Century in Bluffton. He's an INGO advertiser and will take good care of you. His store is big enough that you can shop without already knowing what you want.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    a handgun is a pretty personal item. One size may fit several, but the best one for everyone hasn't been made yet, and that's fine. You might narrow it down a bit by deciding what you want the gun to do for you, then shop for one like you shop for shoes...... try 'em on first..... and shoes... (mine anyway) rarely cost more than a handgun. I've made the offer quite often... for the cost of driving to Grant County, I'll set you up with a variety of handguns to shoot, and consider.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Your up on the north east side of Indy. I would call the Gander Mountain in Hastleton and see if they have what you think you want in stock. Go there and hold it, + anything else that looks interesting to you. After that, start calling smaller shops who would appriciate your business, plenty advertise here! Then buy from a small guy who needs our support.

Last edited:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Internet research is not a good way to select a gun, especially not a first gun.

The things that make a handgun "right" for someone are not much about the stats, caliber, or features. It's a lot more like finding a suit that you're going to like wearing. Reading a web page about what a great suit it is doesn't mean much unless you put the thing on and wear it around a little.

Go somewhere they rent handguns and try a few different guns. Better yet, go take an NRA basic pistol class. This will save you from an expensive mis-step.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    Internet research is not a good way to select a gun, especially not a first gun.
    You are absolutely correct. However, I do have friends and co-workers who own and I've had a chance to discuss options with them. Also years ago (kids were smaller) I did some window shopping.

I went to the Tipton gun show early this morning then Gander Mountain (where the sales people were not overly friendly nor did they seem interested in selling me ANYTHING). I then went to three other local shops and put my hands on as much as I could.

In the end I purchased what I wanted all along (although I almost bought a similar, much more popular, competitors model) - but in the end it came down to what was more comfortable in my hand.

Unfortunately I was not able to shoot anything today, but I'm confident I'll be happy with my purchase!

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, what did you get???

It's an INGO rule. You can't start a thread about your first gun, mention you got what you wanted, but not tell us what it is and not post pics so that we can all "ooh and ahh" over! :D

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    The xd-9 or the xdm-9, are both great pistols, the real advantage to the xdm is the added cap. in magazine

Top Bottom