Best way to 'fix' a scratched receiver finish?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    At work so I don't have a photo handy, but like an idiot I sort of scratched my upper receiver when assembling a new build. Couldn't find my upper receiver block, so wrapped the upper in an old shirt when I put it in a vice block and got a hefty lil' scratch in it from when the receiver itself turned.... d'oh!

I'm thinking of getting the entire thing cerekoted anyway, but until I do, I'd like something to fix the scratch. If it was a scratch from use, I'd not care, but it's an embarrassing mark and reminder of my laziness instead.

So, is there like a substance I can apply so that it'll fill in the now raw metal colored scratch that is very visible on my black Aero Precision upper receiver?

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    That sucks.

Unfortunately, you can't go buy a small can of "annodized".

Like the idiot mark on a 1911, or running aground in a sailboat, take it as a right of passage. Own it and make it yours!
    Maybe fill it in with red crayon and point to it as a unique personalized aspect of your custom builds?

Kind of like the "33" at the bottom of a Rolling Rock beer label. Secret significance to you and those "in the know".

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I typically just sharpie them in, there isn't really a cheap permanent way to get rid of scratches outside of cerakote or duracoat. You could rattle can it you are into that...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    flexfabbandage.png

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    use aluma-black by birchwood.

Exactly what I was gonna say. I've had good luck with it fixing a scratch on "a buddy's rifle" that "he" scratched up a bit. Definitely didn't use it on my rifle because I don't make mistakes...

Anyway, I had read some mixed results, but I was really impressed with the results that I got out of it. I just followed the directions about prep and rinsing with cold water. It's really easy. Definitely worth the price of admission to give it a whirl.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Thanks fellas.

I'll probably touch it up a bit before sending it off to get cerakoted by AllenM. Ideally the touch up will be done in a manner that he won't see how lazily I tossed this together, haha.

My first AR turned out much better even though I had less proper tools. This is my second build, and I have proper tools now, but like a lazy dumb dumb decided to not use them or give up looking for them. I got too much clutter in my work space.

Top Bottom