• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I just put a new spring in my carry gun, whats the best way to get it to set? Leave the slide locked back putting pressure on it or shoot it.

Cause ive got this covered either way, ill leave the slide back until i go to crosley this weekend and drop some rounds.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Shooting your gun is the best way to get it to take whatever "set" it's going to take.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about "set".

The spring is "set" at the factory. It will only slowly (or quickly, I guess, depending on the quality of manufacture) wear over time, reducing it's tension. That happens by cycling the spring, not by leaving it compressed...unless, of course, you over-compress/extend the spring then it will "set" immediately & be ruined.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    I am confused as to your desired end result. As mentioned earlier, cycling of a spring is what will reduce its tension overtime. It has been disproven that continuous compression of a spring will decrease it's tension, at least the modern springs used in magazines and the recoil springs in handguns.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As stated above by a few guys. If the proper spring was used to replace an old one why would you be trying to add premature wear to it? isnt that counter productive to the reason you replaced it in teh 1st place?

When I change the shocks on my truck I don't go out looking for the bumpiest road to drive on or put 2K pounds of stuff in the bed to compress them. I drive as I normaly would have.

SHOOT YOUR GUN AS YOU NORMALY WOULD HAVE!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    To **** off enviormentalist as I drive and get 9 miles to the gallon. It's an expensive way to **** people off!

As long as you aren't one of those yahoos who have helped sissify trucks because THEY WANT IT TO DRIVE MORE LIKE A CAR and are proud they own a truck every time they have to load a 20lb bag of dog food for the arduous trek home.

If you ARE that guy, well, then, here's your sign...

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As long as you aren't one of those yahoos who have helped sissify trucks because THEY WANT IT TO DRIVE MORE LIKE A CAR and are proud they own a truck every time they have to load a 20lb bag of dog food for the arduous trek home.

If you ARE that guy, well, then, here's your sign...

LOL, no I through 2x4's, drywall, and all kinds of crap right in teh back. I like hopping curbs and driving through empty lots as much as the next guy.

If I wanted something that drove like a car I'd buy an Audi A6

Top Bottom