Best way to mount a .30cal suppressor on a 5.56 rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have a YHM Phantom Ti in .30 with the QD connector. I'm pleased with it. I looked at direct thread but with a few rifles to put it on, I went QD and don't regret it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have one question.
    Is 30cal suppressor effective on a smaller caliber?
    The gasses just escape around the smaller bullet.
    This would negate the suppressor effects.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have one question.

30 cal cans tend to be a little longer and bigger than 5.56 cans so the extra volume compensates for the increased hole size.

.22 through a .30 isn't a large difference so the increase sound is negligible to non existent (depends on the can).

I have a Hybrid, love it, have yet to try it on a .300blk but I've shot it on my 30-30 and it's a tad loud but would tone down a lot if I changed end caps. Have also tried it on a 9mm and even using subs you could tell was a tad louder than my 9mm Tirant. .30 through a .46 hole is a lot larger difference and I've seen testing/vids and the results being the same.

So it depends on how large the exit hole is compared to the bullet you're putting it through

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have one question.

It is effective. I think military arms channel has a video on 30 cal suppressors where they fire them on a sound meter and in many cases the 30cal cans performed as well if not better on 5.56 than several 5.56 cans.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Now all I gotta do is convince my wife that I need a decent .30 caliber rifle suppressor and 2 compatible muzzle devices.

And a 9mm pistol suppressor/booster. And a threaded barrel.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Now all I gotta do is convince my wife that I need a decent .30 caliber rifle suppressor and 2 compatible muzzle devices.

And a 9mm pistol suppressor/booster. And a threaded barrel.

Then buy the Recce 7 and get the $200 trump bucks. Go to griffin website and use that $200 on a couple mounts. For one price you'll have a great 30 cal suppressor and 3 mounts

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Then buy the Recce 7 and get the $200 trump bucks. Go to griffin website and use that $200 on a couple mounts. For one price you'll have a great 30 cal suppressor and 3 mounts

This is great advice! I forgot they still had their deal going on, and if I'm not mistaken they are the last company running one still... The 200 gift cards are coming in handy for sure!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    So if I buy something online... Do I have to wait until it's transferred to a local dealer (and pay for that?) before I begin the NFA paperwork, or is the paperwork done concurrently with the hopes/probability of the manf/dealer to dealer paperwork being completed much sooner?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Go online and purchase with your credit/debit card. Have your local SOT lined up. Call him and have him send his SOT/FFL to place you purchased from. Seller will submit a form 3 to transfer to your local dealer. When local dealer receives the can you start the form 4 process. The can sets at your dealer till ATF sends your stamp to your dealer. Your dealer may then charge you a transfer fee.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Slight "thread" derail here. You'll get that joke in a couple seconds.

When is a QD not really a QD? When it's an ASR mount.

An ASR is more of a course thread "Semi QD" mount imo. What's it take to put it on & off 3-4 complete revolutions? The simpler design also means it's a bit cheaper. I'm OK with that if it works but I still like my true QD. What's it take to remove and install a MAAD? About 1/3 of a turn.

A buddy, who I think lurks on here, has a Saker 762 like mine and he's had trouble with his too. SilencerCo swapped out my bad Trifecta & just in case also swapped out the MAAD + threw in a free direct thread. Mine has worked fantastic since then & I hope it stays that way! SilencerCo swapped out his bad MAAD and Trifecta muzzle devices for the ASR system.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Slight "thread" derail here. You'll get that joke in a couple seconds.

When is a QD not really a QD? When it's an ASR mount.

An ASR is more of a course thread "Semi QD" mount imo. What's it take to put it on & off 3-4 complete revolutions? The simpler design also means it's a bit cheaper. I'm OK with that if it works but I still like my true QD. What's it take to remove and install a MAAD? About 1/3 of a turn.

A buddy, who I think lurks on here, has a Saker 762 like mine and he's had trouble with his too. SilencerCo swapped out my bad Trifecta & just in case also swapped out the MAAD + threw in a free direct thread. Mine has worked fantastic since then & I hope it stays that way! SilencerCo swapped out his bad MAAD and Trifecta muzzle devices for the ASR system.

I agree with you here. I know some love the ASR but it doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside like other QD options out there. I do have a lot of ASR junk that is for sure, but I wouldn't call myself thrilled with it. It works and I don't mind the revolutions as much as the fact it's just another set of threads. With the exceptions of the locking collar I feel like direct thread is superior (just slower hints the QD). I've considered selling my ASR accessories buying a KYMO and going to all dead air stuff.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't like the adapters. The last few I dealt with took the barrel concentricaty out of spec. (Easily measured with a straight steel rod.) On my .30 cal can I use different QD mounts. Never had a problem.

IMHO, It is best to invest in the QD can with separate attachments for 1/2x28 and 5/8x24. I have messed around with thread adapters in the past and it resulted in a baffle and end cap strike. Just research how much the QD mounts are before you decide on a can.

Just curious but what thread adapters are you guys using?

IMHO, a quality adapter shouldn't be doing that. I suspect an $8 ebay special may cause this, but a $35 purpose-built thread adapter (I have one) will not...

TF, I have a direct-thread 30 cal can. I built mine before QD was even popular. I've had no issues with it, and I actually somewhat prefer it. It's very repeatable on my long-range target gun, and that, to me, is a big deal.

I have no experience with QD cans so I can't really compare the 2. But having a direct thread can is not a big deal, especially if you don't have a bunch of hosts. My can lives 95% of it's life on my Rem 700, the other 5% is the occasional mounting on my 300 BLK or any one of my 5.56 guns (including my 556 rifle).

BTW, when are you going to come hunt some yotes? I put a nice 280 yd shot on one trotting through the field Sunday night. I'm sure if a fellow would set a caller out he'd have a dozen yotes on top of him within 10 minutes...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Just curious but what thread adapters are you guys using?

IMHO, a quality adapter shouldn't be doing that. I suspect an $8 ebay special may cause this, but a $35 purpose-built thread adapter (I have one) will not...

TF, I have a direct-thread 30 cal can. I built mine before QD was even popular. I've had no issues with it, and I actually somewhat prefer it. It's very repeatable on my long-range target gun, and that, to me, is a big deal.

I have no experience with QD cans so I can't really compare the 2. But having a direct thread can is not a big deal, especially if you don't have a bunch of hosts. My can lives 95% of it's life on my Rem 700, the other 5% is the occasional mounting on my 300 BLK or any one of my 5.56 guns (including my 556 rifle).

BTW, when are you going to come hunt some yotes? I put a nice 280 yd shot on one trotting through the field Sunday night. I'm sure if a fellow would set a caller out he'd have a dozen yotes on top of him within 10 minutes...

I'd just as soon have direct thread - but doing so would mean building my own. And I don't have your skills. :D

And I'd love to come down. Seriously. But literally don't have any time to just take a day of family time away. :n00b:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'd just as soon have direct thread - but doing so would mean building my own. And I don't have your skills. :D

And I'd love to come down. Seriously. But literally don't have any time to just take a day of family time away. :n00b:

You could bring the family with you... morning & evening I will just about guarantee we see multiple hen turkeys with poults (I've seen as many as 5 hens and 23 poults at the same time) and at least a few deer. Daytime there is a swimming pool to cool off in... haha!

I know when I was looking into 30 cal suppressors the QD options were still VERY spendy. Maybe they've balanced out a bit now. If that's the case QD is likely the way to go unless you're shooting for every bit of precision you can get, then I think the tight lock-up of a direct-thread will buy you a little bit of repeatability.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I don't yet know enough about the options in order to even formulate that.

But, for the sake of this, I'm gonna ball-park, oh, ~$800 MAX for the suppressor itself.

4 Preppers in Bluffton sold me a Silencerco Omega with one QD muzzle device that came with a $200 promo that I used for 2 more QD devices. And part of a hoodie. Got one device in 1/2 x 28. One in 5/8 x 24. One 30 cal one came with the can. Thought that was hard to beat.

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Direct thread should only be used on caliber specific rifles. I've heard nothing but bad news with thread adapters. I agree with everyone else. Qd is the way to go. I use a 762sdn6 on my 5.56 guns more than I do .308/.300 guns.

edit:whoops didn't realize how old this was

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    So if I buy something online... Do I have to wait until it's transferred to a local dealer (and pay for that?) before I begin the NFA paperwork, or is the paperwork done concurrently with the hopes/probability of the manf/dealer to dealer paperwork being completed much sooner?

The Silencer Shop is very easy to order from. They ship free to their powered dealer and they handle the ATF paperwork. If you select a dealer from the list with the fingerprint they can take your fingerprints using the Silencer Shop kiosk. You can pay for the tax stamp at time of purchase too.

https://www.silencershop.com/silencers.html

Kiosk Info:

https://www.silencershop.com/what-is-sid

Top Bottom