• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I changed the front brakes on my girlfriend's 2000 Honda Civic. No problems there. However, I wanted to change the rotors as well but the bolt for the brake shoes is rusted on. Anyway to remove it without air tools? I can't let the vehicle sit for a day or so either while a rust removal solvent works it's magic. Suggestions? I would rather avoid the mechanic.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    What are you calling the brake shoe? Brake shoes are used in drum brakes, not discs. If you mean the caliper assembly on the front discs, those bolts can be pretty tight from the factory. They may even have Loctite on them. If that is the case, then heat is your friend.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The best way to remove brake shoes, is to turn the self adjuster in to move the shoes in toward the hub. At that time, you can remove the drum. Then, using a variety of screw drivers and pliars, remove the brake shoe springs. Or you can buy the special brake shoe spring tools.

It's essential to turn the adjuster in before removing the drum, because there is normally a lip of material or rust on the inside of the drum that will get caught on the shoes.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Sorry about that, yes, they are disc brakes. I am going to try to get some solvent. Alas, I don't have a torch, but I do have a steel pipe, some wrenches, and some large friends. I will give that a shot.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    you can also use a rubber mallet on a wrench as a poor mans impact. I have used that a lot. That being said, i bought an impact wrench and it makes the whole process sooooooooo much easier. I can't believe that i waited so long to get one, and they aren't that expensive (assuming you have a compressor).

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Heat, swearing, explosives, more swearing, a case of beer, more swearing, and some pizza. That combination has always worked for me (on pretty much everything).

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    uh.. careful with heat on that area.. there are lots of little rubber pieces around that can melt- brake lines, dust covers, etc.

PB Blaster and a breaker bar should be plenty.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Heat, swearing, explosives, more swearing, a case of beer, more swearing, and some pizza. That combination has always worked for me (on pretty much everything).

Huh...

I tend to do it just a bit differently...

Swearing, swearing, heat, swearing, a case of beer, swearing, explosives, more swearing, and some pizza.... :popcorn:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Don't forget to bust your knuckles REALLY bad before you're done! That always makes it much more fun! (didn't mean to rhyme)

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I'm about 100% sure a 2000 Honda civic has floating rotors. Meaning the hub doesn't have to be removed to change the rotors. IE You do not have to take the axle nut loose (The big nut in the middle) but there are probably a couple phillps head screws holding the rotors on. If these are the screws you are having problems getting out they typically do have Locktight on them and usually require a impact driver or heat to aid in removing. After theses screws are out the rotor may be stuck to the hub. If you rotor has a couple of threaded holes in them (not the ones that have the screws holding the rotors on) you can often use a couple of bolts that fit the threads to force the rotor off. Or you can use a hammer to knock the rotor off. Some say that you can damage the hub bearing if you beat on the rotor to aggressively and although I also believe this to be true, I will also say I have never damaged a bearing doing this in my years of wrenching. ASE certified mechanic for 25 years.

God bless, good luck Jaredjosh

EDIT: P.S. be sure you remove the caliper before trying to remove the rotor.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom