• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • escooper1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 29, 2015
    Crown Point
    I've heard the ken onion version of the electric work sharp version works really well especially for the harder steels like the S30V. and it comes with a lot of options . I know most people say a stone is the only way to really sharpen your knives, but with the work sharp you pick a setting between 15-40 deg or whatever. I would use stones but I am not steady at all and don't think i could keep it at the right angle for the whole swipe. Any ideas, have you heard anything about the KO work sharp or do you know of any good stone set that you think I might be able to learn on or should i just try to find a good knife sharpener in my area and let them do and if you chose that option how would I go about finding someone?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I like stropping my knives on sandpaper. You can get a usable edge at 600 but if you want a mirror you can take it all the way to 2000, then you use a leather strop to clean out the edge. Convex edges are pretty forgiving, you don't have to be dead nutz on with the edge angle as long as you're not rolling it, and if a V edge still has good alignment, you can sharpen them on sandpaper as well, just use a harder backing.

Some knives are just too gone for sandpaper, older knives that have a lot of edge misalignment, crappy steel, etc. In that case, the electric sharpeners work miracles. I've used the standard Work Sharp and it does do a decent job. I've heard good things about the Ken Onion model. I've used the Wicked Edge before and did not like it at all, especially for the price. Never have used the Edge Pro.

VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    After months of research I DID buy the Ken Onion Edition of the worksharp.

I end up using that, and a 4 sided strop for all of my blades. Love that i can switch from tomahawks to my benchmade with no problems.

My advice is that you practice on sub $50 knives before using it on anything sharper, and to SLOW down the belt when you approach the tip.

Top Bottom