• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Bought a new holster for my snubbie, it's real stiff, and a little creaky, plus it holds the gun to tight. Nice leather holster, just stiff, what is the best method to get it to relax a bit, aside from wearing it 24-7 for a month or two. Thanks

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I heard wrapping your gun with wax paper (used for cooking) and keeping it in the holster for a few days could help.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Wax paper would be the best bet as you want to stretch not overly soften. A lot of custom leather places do not recommend anything but wax paper or something similar.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    If you like your new holster you will listen to the wax paper-plastic baggie guys and not the oil-saddle soap guys. All high quality, hand boned holsters start out with a very tight fit... your rig will loosen up in time to a nice fit ( think retention). Oil will destroy that fit. Avoid exposing good leather to heat.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Bought a new holster for my snubbie, it's real stiff, and a little creaky, plus it holds the gun to tight. Nice leather holster, just stiff, what is the best method to get it to relax a bit, aside from wearing it 24-7 for a month or two. Thanks

Be careful about "softening" a holster up too much much. Worn, soft holsters can cause AD's. Especially around the trigger area.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

What I did was to put a freezer baggie over my MP...and fit it into the holster overnight. Next morning, removed the baggie, and the gun fit like a glove.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Galco Fletch I bought for my RIA Compact. It was stiff when I bought it and thought I'd help it break in by applying some leather conditioning oil. Bad idea. It softened it up quite well and ruined it for carry. It now flops around and has almost zero retention. I have it in a box down in the basement now in hopes that in 10 or 20 years, it will dry back out and be useful again. Waste of $70.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The only thing I put on my holster is shoe polish. It covers any scratches and keeps a nice shine on it.
    I use a Galco concealable, no retention strap. After about 3 yrs it still holds my 226 nice and tight.

arbys1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Work a dime sized spot of neetsfoot oil or mink oil into the holster. Only a dab its very easy to over do oil on leather there should be no excess oil residue if so get it off. That's it put it to work. Good leather needs conditioning every year or so to keep it breathing. My son & I have been doing this on Rawlings HOH gloves for years. If you think your holsters tight try having a catch with a brand new $300 glove without any break-in. Tighter than a nuns coin purse. Make sure super positive its good leather ie. Bull hide. Good luck

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    This is what I do and it works well for me.

After inserting the weapon into the holster close inspection will show you where the tight spots are by miniscule grain stretching in those ares. I then use a damp rag to wet the area slightly. Once it dries I remove and re holster the weapon again, If it's still too tight I re dampen the tights spots again.

Only do this on the tight spots and not the entire holster. Have never had to dampen the tight areas more than twice myself.

Has always worked for me and needs no special materials. I have used this method on a couple of my Galco shoulder rigs and they are easy to withdraw and re holster a weapon, while not being lose.

Top Bottom