• ...and so much more!
  • JudgeJudy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 30, 2023
    Hamilton county
    Forgive me if this has been asked, but I searched and I didn't find anything.

Any advice for how to get into deer hunting for a newbie? Strictly for the firearm season, never touched a crossbow.

I'd definitely have to pick up a new rifle, but no worries there. I'm just a bit lost on where the hell to start? My father went growing up but hated it, so didn't want to teach me. I don't have any friends or family who hunt either.

I'm assuming I need to figure out a public land situation?

I'm tracking licenses as well.

Thanks in advance everyone. I'd really just like to enjoy sitting outside with my coffee on a cool morning, actually getting a deer would just be a bonus.

I'd love to hunt coyotes too, but not sure I'm really equipped for night hunting currently.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Start by reading through the portion of the DNR hunting guide relevant to deer hunting. That will explain the licensing and equipment side of things. You'll be limited to pistol caliber rifles, handgun, shotgun or muzzleloader on public ground.

You'll find that public ground is crowded during gun season. Your best bet there is going to be finding a spot you like, scout it before season, then get there early. The farther back you walk in, the more likely you are to get away from competition. You'll probably want to start hunting from the ground. Maybe a pop-up ground blind and seat. Some camo, warm clothes (in-layers) and attention to scent control should set you up decently. You don't need the fanciest scent control designer camo clothing on the market. A lot of deer have been killed by guys in blue jeans and carhartt coats. Don't overthink it.

From there, if you like it, you can upgrade your tactics and equipment. Look at tree stands etc.

The other factor to consider is your plan if you do kill a deer. How do you get it back to your vehicle? Do you have the equipment to field dress it? Are your you going to butcher it yourself or pay a processor? If the latter, you need to have that individual picked out and know they're going to take your deer the day you get it. Always good to have a backup plan in place, if for some reason you first pick won't work out.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Scouting earlier in the season is important, if nothing else so you know how to get back to your chosen spot in the dark. Be aware of boundaries, public land is always next to private somewhere and land owners don't like unwelcome company during hunting seasons, if at all.

JudgeJudy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 30, 2023
    Hamilton county
    Start by reading through the portion of the DNR hunting guide relevant to deer hunting. That will explain the licensing and equipment side of things. You'll be limited to pistol caliber rifles, handgun, shotgun or muzzleloader on public ground.

You'll find that public ground is crowded during gun season. Your best bet there is going to be finding a spot you like, scout it before season, then get there early. The farther back you walk in, the more likely you are to get away from competition. You'll probably want to start hunting from the ground. Maybe a pop-up ground blind and seat. Some camo, warm clothes (in-layers) and attention to scent control should set you up decently. You don't need the fanciest scent control designer camo clothing on the market. A lot of deer have been killed by guys in blue jeans and carhartt coats. Don't overthink it.

From there, if you like it, you can upgrade your tactics and equipment. Look at tree stands etc.

The other factor to consider is your plan if you do kill a deer. How do you get it back to your vehicle? Do you have the equipment to field dress it? Are your you going to butcher it yourself or pay a processor? If the latter, you need to have that individual picked out and know they're going to take your deer the day you get it. Always good to have a backup plan in place, if for some reason you first pick won't work out.
    This is fantastic information thank you. This is making me realize how much more education I need; I didn't realize how restrictive the firearm types were on public land.

Embarrassed to admit, but I did not even think about how to get the deer back to my vehicle. I'll have to check out how other people do it and see some good best practices.

JudgeJudy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 30, 2023
    Hamilton county
    I use the drag, stop, drag, grab my chest, wheeze, drag method myself.
    Ever field dress a deer? Check YouTube for good videos. I urped the first time. After that it was easier. Nothing to be scared of. Just something you have to do.
    I ain't much for running but I got nice stubby ox legs that make me decent at hauling, I might be toast the next day but I could probably manage eventually lol. I have not dressed anything too be honest, but I have watched a few videos. No issues with dressing on public land?

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Also depending on your age you will need a hunter education certification. I think the state requires it for anyone born after 1986. You can use an apprenticeship license but you will have to go with someone that has a deer hunting license.
    Good luck and happy hunting

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    When scouting, look for places that force deer into a particular spot, known as funnels. Funnels work great on public land during gun season as the orange army moving around get the deer stirred up and running. If you're hunting flat ground, scout for thickets and other heavy cover that deer will seek out to hide from the other hunters. Use their movement to your advantage. Find that spot, get into a position where the wind blows your scent away from where you expect the deer to come from and be patient. Creek bottom thickets work great for this. If you're hunting hilly areas, look for terrain features that are easy for deer to negotiate when trying to get away from other hunters. Deer are like everything else and use the path of least resistance. Fingers coming up out of valleys, saddles or low areas between hills, areas where different terrain features come together, areas where different types of edge come together are all good. I have one spot I hunt on public that has 2 thickets coming together in a saddle that has three fingers coming down into it. I have killed a truckload of deer there over the years.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Once you get your hunter safety class under your belt, you should start with hunting squirrels. Being mindful of course that deer gun season opens next week.

You can certainly hunt squirrels during deer gun season, but there is a lot more traffic in the woods. Seasoned hunters that might be less than happy with a newbie hunter stomping around their watched trails.

Hunting squirrels puts you in the woods and challenges you with smaller hunting things to help you be more prepared to hunt the bigger deer.

:twocents:

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I started young and had a great experience many times, taught by two grandfathers.
    Hunted lots of game, even bounty hunting coyotes with praise from the ranchers.

Then, with life changes, I sort of quit for a while as I ended a part of my business, changed careers.
    Then, thirty years ago, I moved to Indiana.

Everything is so different from Texas, I never bothered for about five years. Then went out with "friends" of the time and had a blast with black powder - got a deer!

So while I have some old out dated experience, I am looking to hit it hard again maybe next year.

This thread will be one I follow.
    Thanks, JudgeJudy, for having the courage to start it up and get it going.

Yes, I have field dressed dozens, many years ago, but I expect it is like riding a bike. It will all come back to me.
    The deer here are much larger than the puny little deer we had in Texas, so hauling downed game will be a learning experience.
    The one time I have been out here in Indiana, twenty five years ago, a buddy had side by side to use.

Last edited:

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Forgive me if this has been asked, but I searched and I didn't find anything.

Any advice for how to get into deer hunting for a newbie? Strictly for the firearm season, never touched a crossbow.

I'd definitely have to pick up a new rifle, but no worries there. I'm just a bit lost on where the hell to start? My father went growing up but hated it, so didn't want to teach me. I don't have any friends or family who hunt either.

I'm assuming I need to figure out a public land situation?

I'm tracking licenses as well.

Thanks in advance everyone. I'd really just like to enjoy sitting outside with my coffee on a cool morning, actually getting a deer would just be a bonus.

I'd love to hunt coyotes too, but not sure I'm really equipped for night hunting currently.
    Take the state's Hunter Ed class and get the required hunting licenses.

You are wasting your time with everything else until you have it.

Get a slug gun they are cheap now that everyone wants a rifle.

Then sign up for the state park reduction hunts. It is a shot gun start, everyone at once, and no one knows the ground any better than you do so it is mostly luck of the draw and your chances are as good as any one's. Most parks will HELP YOU get your dead deer out. Even you if you did not sign up, you can show up the morning of the hunt and USUALLY get in after they start on a 1st come basis for people who don't show.

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I ain't much for running but I got nice stubby ox legs that make me decent at hauling, I might be toast the next day but I could probably manage eventually lol. I have not dressed anything too be honest, but I have watched a few videos. No issues with dressing on public land?
    No issue. It's expected.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I use the drag, stop, drag, grab my chest, wheeze, drag method myself.
    Reminds me of a story. These two fellas decided to go out deer hunting for the first time. They hiked quite a ways into the woods and finally stopped. After a little while, a buck with a nice big rack came walking by and sure enough, one of them dropped it. They got it field dressed and started dragging it back to their truck. They were dragging it by the hind legs and the antlers kept catching on rocks and downed logs and it was making a hard go of it.

One of the fellas finally says, "Hey, I think it would be easier if we picked him up by the antlers to drag him." Well that's what they did and sure enough it was easier. After walking a bit, the one fella looks at his buddy and says, "See? This sure is a lot easier, ain't it?" His buddy says to him, "It sure enough is! But aren't we getting kind of far from the truck?" ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I have not dressed anything too be honest...

Another reason why cutting your teeth on small game is a good start. Get accustomed to the smell and urge to hurl. Gut cavity of deer is much bigger, let alone the reaching up inside and anal cutting. The messy parts of field dressing bring pause to a fair amount of seasoned hunters.

A couple pairs of nitrile gloves and a few paper towels in your hunting kit are a blessing. As is a gallon freezer bag for the recovered heart and liver, (don't waste these wonderful parts.)

:twocents:

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My dad could make a deer camp meal of liver and onions that even I would eat. Mom used to pickle deer heart for me. Made great sammiches.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Things you'll need if you don't already have them:
    A good sharp knife or two
    A flashlight/headlamp
    Hunter Orange clothing, I recommend a hat/cap and a vest.
    Warm clothing- Note avoid solid brown and white colored garments
    Warm boots

Things that are good to have:
    Disposable hand warmers
    Snacks and water
    Extra gloves- I like the cheap wool military surplus gloves from Amazon and carry a few spares just in case
    Field dressing gloves
    A pack of some kind to put them in
    A brighter light for blood trailing
    A good weather app for your phone- there are plenty of free ones, even some that are hunting specific

As an alternative to gutting a deer and dragging it out a long distance, you can check it online immediately upon recovery, cut it up in the field and pack it out in a large backpack/pack frame. There are plenty of videos online showing the "gutless" method of processing game and though they are mostly focused on elk and mule deer, they will work just the same for whitetail. Removing the shoulders, backstraps, and tenders is really simple and removing the hams and neck meat is not much more difficult. Bring extra orange to cover the rack in case you get a buck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...As an alternative to gutting a deer and dragging it out a long distance, you can check it online immediately upon recovery, cut it up in the field and pack it out in a large backpack/pack frame. There are plenty of videos online showing the "gutless" method of processing game and though they are mostly focused on elk and mule deer, they will work just the same for whitetail. Removing the shoulders, backstraps, and tenders is really simple and removing the hams and neck meat is not much more difficult. Bring extra orange to cover the rack in case you get a buck.

I've never gotten a confirmation that leaving a (cleaned) deer carcass in the field on public ground in Indiana is OK?

Do you or others have experience with this? Confirmed by DNR? CO's in the field?

:dunno:

Toole

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Noblesville
    I'd start with a list of things you need, some mentioned above gloves, snacks, water, knife for field dressing, etc.
    I prefer to walk and stalk or ground hunt sitting on the ground or a small chair against a tree so I always have a backpack. Get one that's comfortable and can hold what you want with a little room for extras because you'll find you want some gear and not other gear and that'll give you room to adjust the loadout.
    Squirrel hunting opens in August, hunt squirrels, it'll get you in the woods to figure out the lay of the land but you can pre-identify openings, game funnels, and trees with nuts that deer will also be eating later in the season so it's an idea of where to go during deer season.

Top Bottom