Best way to start shooting clay games...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    All:

I stopped out at MCF&G and watched the trap guys shoot, watched a few rounds and asked as many questions as I thought I could without becoming a nuisance. The guys were great and it looked like a perfect way to spend a Thursday evening.

Now, I've never owned a shotgun but there is room in the safe for one methinks. However, the myriad of shotguns available out there is pretty staggering to a noob like me. So my plan is to go back to MCF&G ask more questions, read the trap and skeet shooting book I picked up and then make a trip to Indiana Gun Club to look around at used guns. It would seem that used guns are far and away where I would get the most bang for the buck, so to speak. Additionally, I am 6'6" tall with arms long enough to qualify me as a "genetic anomaly", so custom fitting would be a good idea as well.

Any advice on the best way to start from scratch from those more experienced than me (read "everybody" :)) would be welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks for your time and input.

-Drew

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Some of those guns out there cost $30,000, but the guys are not snobs and are all very helpful with any questions you may have. Find an inexpensive O/U shotgun to start. If you think it's something you will do every now and then, get a nice HD shotgun and have fun with it and have something that is good to use against home intruders, as well.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If you plan on shooting Trap then just about any type of shotgun will do (if you use a semi-auto get a hull catch otherwise you tick people off). If you plan on skeet then a semi-auto or double barrel is just about a must. Same for sporting clays. Doubles are just to fast for a beginner ( and many other folks) for a pump. An 1100 would do just fine and a nice Wingmaster can be found for around 350 +/- used.

If you go O/U just shop around and don't get in a hurry, deals do come along.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Buy an 870 and go start practicing.

After you get better and want to upgrade you can slap an 18" barrel on the 870 for home protection and get yourself an inlaid $30k OU gun.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Go to Whittaker's in KY. They have a large selection of shotguns. I just bought a used Weatherby Orion O/U for $900. They had a couple of Beretta 686's for around $700-$800.

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    I shoot trap with an 870 and have taken several friends, no problems. IMO the 870 is the most versatile and dependable for the money. After shooting for a while the O/U models the other guys have will get your attention. After someone lets you shoot their $1k+ O/U, it won't take long for you to find one you like.

I was going to post a link to the Spartan O/U sold by Remington, but found a this article on Wikipedia that says: "Although considered a good purchase for the money, the gun has mulitple issues, namely how quickly it begins to rust. Remington ceased importing the shotgun in 2009."

Has anyone here seen this first hand? If it has already been mentioned, I apologize. Before seeing that article the Spartan brand shotguns looked like a really good deal.

Last edited:

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Nah...Just yanking your chain Nox...I know what you meant. I did see a $16K gun and it was a work of art...the machining and metal work was amazing. If money were no object I could see that being an investment...

-Drew

hischj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Wadesville
    If you want to get in it, look for a used browning citori. Amazing guns. If sporting is all it will be used for, look for a trap or sporting model. An o/u will let you play all the games and is easier to maintain. Regardless of want you decide just get out and start shooting. Just my :twocents:

Jerry

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Nah...Just yanking your chain Nox...I know what you meant. I did see a $16K gun and it was a work of art...the machining and metal work was amazing. If money were no object I could see that being an investment...

-Drew

No worries, I know where you're coming from.

IMO, until you are really competing heavily, almost any shotgun will do. About a month ago 4 of us entered a sporting clay event. While we didn't place, we held our own with 2 870 express models, an 1187, and a nova pump.

Heck the most fun I've had on the skeet field was with my 20" coach gun, but I would probably get run out of the club by some skeet elitists with that weapon.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    When I read the thread title, I was going to respond "start with trap at MCF&G", but you're way ahead of me.

I have a Browning BPS Trap which I like a lot. It has a single shot selector and you can eject the hulls softly right out the bottom into your hand. Couldn't find one arouhd here; had to go to Gunbroker to get it.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I was going to post a link to the Spartan O/U sold by Remington, but found a this article on Wikipedia that says: "Although considered a good purchase for the money, the gun has mulitple issues, namely how quickly it begins to rust. Remington ceased importing the shotgun in 2009."

Has anyone here seen this first hand? If it has already been mentioned, I apologize. Before seeing that article the Spartan brand shotguns looked like a really good deal.

I don't have any experience with the OU Spartans but i do have a SPR453 which is the semi auto spartan. The finish on these are not the toughest but with normal cleaning and maintenance I would be surprised if you have any rust problems. If the gun spends a season in the duck blind and you put it in the safe without cleaning and lubing it i could see where they would rust faster than some nicer guns with a better finish. These were not made by remington, only imported from a manufacturer in Russia. There not bad guns but for OU's i think there are probably better deals out there.

You might want to check out the Lanber brand of O/U's. CDNN has these starting at $450. I have never used one of these but have heard good things about them and am thinking about ordering one myself. For the money, i have also heard good stuff about the Weatherby branded semi-auto's. You should be able to find those in the $450 range also. As others have said, it's hard to beat a good 870.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    If you're looking for a dedicated trap shotgun, look at the Browning BPS Trap. It's a great singles gun - pump, bottom eject so you don't PO your squad mates, Browning quality, and reasonable price. This is what I started with after a great deal of research. As mentioned, trap doubles is a bit more complicated with a pump gun, but honestly you ought to hone your skills on singles first. By the time you get 'good', you'll be ready for another shotgun and you can spend the big bucks on an O/U.

EDIT: By the way, I picked my BPS Trap up at Bud's and had it shipped to a local FFL.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Come to MCFG Thursday Trap again, bring some 12 ga Ammo 7 1/2 - 8 Shot, we'll let you shoot whatever gun we are using. Let me know if you are coming and I can bring a BT-99 for you to try.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Singlesix, thank you for the offer, I will certainly do that...

Here is the other question I need to ask: I am a lefty due to crappy vision (the gift that keeps on giving from Mom and Dad :-) ) will shells eject into my face out of an auto like the 870?

Any lefties out there?

-Drew

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I shoot left handed. Two words for you ITHACA 37. My first shot gun was an 870 and i shot it a lot untill i bought my first 37, now the 870 hardly ever gets used. The ithacas are bottom eject so they are equaly comfortable for left or right handed shooters. The right hand election of the 870 never really bothered me untill i started shooting the 37 and then tried to go back to the 870. To me, the Ithaca's are just a better handling and swingining guns, especially for upland and clays.

The original Ithaca factory in NY quite producing guns quite a few years ago. The new owners have started building guns out of Ohio and i have heard they are great guns but they are also fairly expensive. You should be able to find these used easily. There are some nice ones on gunbroker right now in the $250 - $350 range. I prefer the style and fit and finish of the pre 1972 models but that is just cosmetic. If you want a real gem, look for a older 16 gauge from the 1950's.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Here is the other question I need to ask: I am a lefty due to crappy vision (the gift that keeps on giving from Mom and Dad :-) ) will shells eject into my face out of an auto like the 870?

Any lefties out there?

-Drew

The BT-99 is a single barrel break open gun so no the shell won't eject onto your face. For Semi-Autos you need a left handed gun to avoid the "shell in face" problem. For Pumps you can just eject the shell after you take it off your shoulder. Come out on Thursday and we can run through everything.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

Any lefties out there?

-Drew

Ha! I could have written this exact post myself... I'm a lefty with crappy vision, too. Hence my original post about the BPS Trap. I should be out there this week... Look for the twin brothers and I'll let you try mine if you like.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom