• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sell33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Delaware County
    I got my wife a S&W 651c years ago. I like the idea of 22 mag and 7 shot for her. She does also shoot my g43 pretty well. She doesn’t carry as much as I’d like but I think a 22 mag revolver is the perfect choice.

BDDSWC

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2023
    McCordsville
    My wife currently has a S&W 642 Air weight revolver in 38sp for her carry gun. When she shoots it, she has trouble accuracy issues, possibly due to anticipating the recoil. Would a smaller caliber be better, or just more practice? What do your wives carry and like?
    My wife is finally warming up to the idea of carrying, but she needs more experience. The first thing I had her shoot was a S&W M&P 22c (.22lr), just to get her used to firing something (little to no recoil). I then had her shoot one of my old pistols, a Ruger P89 (9mm), because it's heavier, and not much recoil for the caliber. I plan on getting her shooting with me and trying my various Glocks. Also, I want to rent her other weapons of her choice, so she is not feeling forced into what I feel she should carry. I don't want to scare her off, or make her feel forced to shoot/carry something she's uncomfortable with, or worse, can't handle.

Good luck Brother! Happy shooting!

tgeorge21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2023
    Feet
    Have you tried showing her some options, or videos, or asking her what she may be interested in? Also have you taken her to the range? My wife was completely disinterested until we went to the range and she found a gun that was comfortable (p365) and now she wants to go shoot it all the time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2023
    Central Indiana
    I would stay away from .380 unless it’s a pretty decent sized pistol. Small .380s are way too snappy. Revolvers are nice but having a 6 to sometimes 8 shots isn’t enough sometimes. I’d check out the new Beretta .380 it’s a great looking and reliable but also low in recoil gun. There’s also the P365 SAS which also comes ported but the sights are only made for around a 15 yard distance but your eyes catch the sight quickly, faster then most iron sights. I’d probably stick with the Beretta or a S&W shield plus ported. The S&W has a 13 round capacity and low recoil. You also have the option to have it optic ready so that’s also cool.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Best gun for wife carry I can think of is Beretta tomcat, and since 32acp is expensive, a bobcat for practice.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Am I the only one who read this as 'Help me choose a wife for my EDC?' :lmfao:

Anyway, 642 isn't an easy gun to shoot well - I had one. My thoughts would be similar to suggestions for a new shooter - either medium-ish 9mm or .380 (43x, 365, Shield EZ), or maybe a slightly larger revolver...3" K frame sort of ballpark if they like wheelguns. A bit more weight and larger grip could help a lot. Good luck!

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    I let mine pick out her own carry gun. She acts like shes 6’8 with a barret but she’s actually 5’nothin, 110lbs, with a Kimber Micro 9. When shes gun shopping I just let her find something she likes, if its something she probably wont like or might be problematic ill let her know. Practice makes proficiency.
    This is the key, and I would argue the key for anyone purchasing a gun, especially for the first time.

My wife picks her firearms, my only input is calibers, and generally those are calibers to stay away from. This includes her hunting rifles and bows.

In fact the best strategy for me is to walk away and let her talk with the shop salesman until she finds a few she wants to try out.

What I like and what I think will fit her has never been her choice and when it’s her choice, she practices more, enjoys it more and is more proficient.

GunsCarsPlanes

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    NWI
    Whatever they can shoot at a moderate pace, don't make them jump/flinch upon every pull and is inviting to make them want to shoot again and more often. Like men (because is there really that much of a difference) it'll probably be a 22 to start and then a 9mm.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Whatever they can shoot at a moderate pace, don't make them jump/flinch upon every pull and is inviting to make them want to shoot again and more often. Like men (because is there really that much of a difference) it'll probably be a 22 to start and then a 9mm.
    Did the same with my wife. .22 pistols and then she tried several flavors of 9mm and didn’t like the .45 I snuck into the mix..
    Ended up with a shield ez in 9mm. She did well with all she shot but when we went to the gun store the salesman did an excellent job letting her pick out pistol and he explained pros/cons and we ended up with the shield ez.
    Trading post in Marion. Good selection and prices on most.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Often times its a slow progression. You have to let her move at her own pace. The following story took place over the period of about 5-6 years.

My wife carries a Glock 19. But that is not what she started with.

Years ago when she wanted to start carrying, she was only comfortable with a Ruger LCP mouse gun. It was better than nothing. She couldnt shoot it very well, but at bad breath distance, it was accurate enough.

One day while we were at the range, I was doing something with another gun and suggested she should take my EDC over to the targets and try it out. She came back excited that she shot it SOOOO much better than her LCP. But no. That was way to big to carry. No way.

Then she tried INGOer Haven's SCCY. Once again, she shot better with it but this wasnt too much bigger in her mind, and so she wanted one of those.

Once again, out at the range, she took mine again and marveled at how well she shot the 19. This time she ran several mags through it. Realizing it wasnt that much bigger, I bought her one, along with a new holster like hers to fit it and surprised her with it. She now happily carries that Glock.

Griz375

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2023
    The Mississippi's Eastern shore
    A different gun. The 642 is a gun for experienced shooters.

In general, the smaller the gun the harder it is to shoot well, especially in a decent self defense caliber. You don't get to pick her gun. She does.

Take her to Kodiak range off of Ireland in South Bend and have her try some different pistols. Try a S&W EZ in 9mm or 380. A G**** 42, a S&W Shield or whatever else she seems to like.
    ^^^^^^^
    Right there!
    My wife has had CCW for over 30 years and picks her own. Her current fave is an SP101 .357 3" W/+p .38 HP.

She shoots everything but still goes back to a shiny wheel gun. She does have a P365 in 9 BUT prefers the SP or her old 66 4".

Her gun to carry and hopefully never need but if she needs it, she better have an old friend she's competent and comfortable with than the latest, greatest.

JMO & worth exactly what it cost you to get.

Griz375

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2023
    The Mississippi's Eastern shore
    Some Good Points above-especially pertaining to a Range Visit & shooting different weapons.
    I also made the mistake of starting the Better Half with a Lil Revolver (38Spl w/2" bbl) & she Quickly was Frustrated by Inaccuracy.
    In answer to 1 of your Questions, here's what My Wife currently totes & is Proficient.
    Ruger LCRX w/3" bbl (amazing how much an extra inch of tube improves Accuracy)
    1.jpg
    Sight radius is everything unless you're a really proficient point shooter and there aren't as many of those as some people claim . . . .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yep. Often times its a slow progression. You have to let her move at her own pace. The following story took place over the period of about 5-6 years.

My wife carries a Glock 19. But that is not what she started with.

Years ago when she wanted to start carrying, she was only comfortable with a Ruger LCP mouse gun. It was better than nothing. She couldnt shoot it very well, but at bad breath distance, it was accurate enough.

One day while we were at the range, I was doing something with another gun and suggested she should take my EDC over to the targets and try it out. She came back excited that she shot it SOOOO much better than her LCP. But no. That was way to big to carry. No way.

Then she tried INGOer Haven's SCCY. Once again, she shot better with it but this wasnt too much bigger in her mind, and so she wanted one of those.

Once again, out at the range, she took mine again and marveled at how well she shot the 19. This time she ran several mags through it. Realizing it wasnt that much bigger, I bought her one, along with a new holster like hers to fit it and surprised her with it. She now happily carries that Glock.

This is the kind of thing that we as educated responsible seasoned shooters should be educating our loved ones about.

Too many of us must "let them choose," using little on no knowledge of this deadly serious decision. Same applies to the "fit their hand" logic. Plenty of little kids with little hands compete every weekend with Glock 19's. If they can do it well, we all can adapt also, regardless of how much too big a standard sized pistol may seem at first.

We should explain to our loved ones that the first step in making this kind of critical decision is to listen to someone very experienced at the subject matter. We should also recognise that the experienced person may not be us.

I had a neighbor lady for years that was getting ready to buy her 16 year old son a pistol that he had picked out. At the same time, she was thinking she'd just buy a snubnose for herself. She knew this was all a good idea, because she was naturally "a good shot," often as good as brothers growing up. :rolleyes:

These were my neighbors and I was fond of them, besides the fact that I lived within range of them. :n00b:

When the kid was turning 16, I sent him to a private training session with Coach for his birthday. I "wasn't available" ;) to take the kid to train with Coach, so his mom had to. They both come out of the four hour introductory session amazed at the knowledge gained. They shot a lot of different handguns, including the little snubnose the mom was sure she wanted. :)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife has had CCW for over 30 years and picks her own. Her current fave is an SP101 .357 3" W/+p .38 HP.

She shoots everything but still goes back to a shiny wheel gun. She does have a P365 in 9 BUT prefers the SP or her old 66 4".

Her gun to carry and hopefully never need but if she needs it, she better have an old friend she's competent and comfortable with than the latest, greatest.
    Those older steel wheelie revolvers...heavy enough to help absorb recoil, yet light enough to still carry comfortably all day long! Shooting standard pressure 158 grain JHP .38's is very comfortable in an SP101...my wife did that for years when she had her .38 SP101!
    The best thing about the SP101's and the S&W J-frames, is the variety of grips available that helps make those little revolvers fit just about anyone's hand, comfortably!

Top Bottom