• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    What would you guys recommend as a rifle for an 8 year old to hunt deer with? I have a 25-06 but I think the recoil is maybe a tad stout? I have read that .243 is good to start out on. I've never shot one--is the recoil softer than the 25-06?

Something made specifically for a youth would be preferred, or at least, a very short LOP.

This will be for shots out to 100 yards. From a stand with a rest.

(And, no, it's not for Indiana obviously).

Thanks.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    7mm-08 come to mind. several are available in youth format but you will need to look for them. The 243 is more of a expert rifle for deer as the shot needs to hit home very well the 7mm will give you a little more fudge factor. this one works well for cheap.
    Marlin Model X7Y

Then you have the old dirty-thirty or 30-30 good for 100 yards youth size available but not in the new market as they are no longer on the web site.

For 100 yards don't overlook the pistol cartridge rifles that are Indiana legal also.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    243 is a fine and classic deer round. I have a T/C Venture in 243 and it is accurate out of the box. The recoil is next to nothing. I might be a little jaded as I also shoot the big bore rifles, 300wsm 30-06, 338 LM. I have shot the 25-06 and the one I shot wasn't bad, but it was a full sized rifle. If you want to try out my 243, send me a message and we can schedule a range trip.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    CZ 527 for the oldest nephew.

Slicked action, crowned barrel, shorted LOP to 12" which including Pachy Decel recoil pad, and installed CW sling. The optic is a Nikon Monarch.

04-10-11_1915.jpg

skey01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Buy a rifle that he can hunt with till he is old enough to buy his next rifle... A 270 with a quality muzzle break kicks like a 22-250.. You also have choices, buy a rifle with a break already on it or have a qualified SMITH install one on the gun of your choice. The stock can be changed later to fit him as he grows, there are many inexpensive stocks available from numerous manufacturers.. He can hunt with that till hes older or the rest of his life.. If he gets into hunting maybe Dad and son want to go out west for mule deer, antelope, or maybe even elk.. This caliber is adequate for all and shoots flat enough for out west open country hunting. There of course are better calibers for each species mentioned but for one gun the 270 winchester is hard to beat with minimal recoil & good bullet selection.. IMO

cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    I grew up in KY and still hunt there on my family's land. We always started out with .243s, however I killed my first deer at 11 with a Mini 30 which is a gun I still use today.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    There are lots of good rifle options out there, but for out to one hundred yards a .44 mag rifle can be a good ticket for kids. Little recoil, the round is effective out past a hundred, and there are lots of affordable, solid platforms to get them in.

That being said, they won't have bad ballistics or trajectory out to 100, but won't be laser flat like some of these rifles sighted in at these ranges would be.

Top Bottom