• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    While its not a flairing the magwell you might find this guys work nothing short of breath taking the guy has mastered the art of metal file

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7UPi22XVfc&t=605s

Ya...that guy is pretty cool. I had already found and saved a video of him working on a Beretta 92 magwell.

[video=youtube;C-IyIhV2eJw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IyIhV2eJw&list=PL_pO6LBPL1ULvyQSOaHGeE_VecFibGagO& index=3&t=0s[/video]

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ WOW! I might need to buy a cheap Taurus PT92 someday and start filing on it for practice.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    OK...Job is done.

Let me tell you, this would have been more difficult without that video from MosinVirus.

Even though we are on a budget freeze (gas and food only) I was able to squeeze in a minor purchase at Harbor Freight for $4 for a set of cheapo needle files. Here is a link to what I used.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-precision-needle-file-set-4614.html

I already had all the sandpaper needed on hand. I also already had a small bottle of the Birchwood Casey Aluma Black from fixing an AR.

These files were perfect for me. They are not aggressive and it took me a total of 8 hours to do this. However as a novice that was purposely taking things real slow, I was OK with that.

I am not sure what grade of aluminum these frames are made out of on the Beretta 92, but it seems a fair amount harder than an AR lower or upper. I have dropped my AR's before and put gouges in them. This Beretta frame seems to be harder and took more work to remove material.....which I was OK with.

I am quite happy with it....for me anyway. And since :postpics:.....here ya go.

Edited to add....... I realized I forgot to give you a before pic. Well, that's because I did not take one. So I found another pic from someone else to show what I started with. My 92F was like the magwell shown on the right side below. The left side is what the new M9's come with.

FullSizeRender%201_zpsvpmjsfg3.jpg

FullSizeRender%201_zpsvpmjsfg3.jpg.html

FullSizeRender%201_zpsvpmjsfg3.jpg.html

Here are the after pics.....

2pp2pRv.jpg

0BoAKEy.jpg

ZooAf40.jpg

hyGyPlU.jpg

1yrwQ34.jpg

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Turned out great! Id love to do that to my 92fs but i never seem to have time for all my projects iv even thought about sending mine out for the complete vertec conversion but that amount of coin hurts

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    I had a elite 2 model and it is the only gun out of several dozen I REGRET trading off, keep m up at night sometimes. Seriously a beveled magwell would be a must to optimize the 92 series.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Great job!
    Are you using some kind of extended mags? Otherwise I think that little extension thing could get in the way?

yep....I am using the Mec Gar 20 rounders. Which is an 18 rounder with a factory installed +2 extension. That gives me room to strip a mag in case I need to. I can usually find them in the $20 - $25 range during the holidays. Link to the Mec Gar website below.

https://www.mec-gar.com/pistol-magazines/Beretta/BERETTA-92FS-M9-20-High-Cap-Extended

With the layoff and subsequent job search, I have not had a chance to run this in a match. Although, thankfully, that appears as if it may be resolved in the near future.

I went to a practice and have done some dry fire with it. And what I found was interesting.

I have not found any difference in my reload times. Maybe if I was at a RVB or Jerry Miculek level I would. But what I have found is that my reloads are more consistent now.

For my example below I must define "flub". My definition for the purposes of this post is.....a reload that is not perfectly smooth. A "flub" usually involves some sort of adjustment either when inserting or seating the magazine. A non "flub" means the magazine went from my mag pouch and into the gun without me thinking at all....almost like it magically just disappeared from my pouch and appeared in my gun.

Anyway, as a newb, I would say that before the bevel during dry fire I was "flubing" 40%-50% of my reloads. Not horrible drop the mag or trying to insert it upside down type of things. Just that some sort of adjustment needed to be made and I had to think / process that. Which is infinitely more difficult while moving while on the clock. Now I would say it's down to 10%-20% of my reloads. They are not faster, but smoother and more consistent. I would also say that when moving, I find the difference to help more than standing still dry fire practice.

I think it was worth it and I'm glad I did it. Since I don't have to think about my reloads as much, that means I can focus on other things like sights, trigger, the stage...etc.

Top Bottom