• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If anyone is curious, this is the reason why they do this test...

2006 transatlantic aircraft plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm no fan but with bad guys in the world, this is a necessary evil. With no security or random checks (to keep things....random) every crazy whaco would leave the movie theaters and Sikh temples, head straight to American or United and effective kill the airline industry.

These dumb*ss searches are already killing the airline industry. Caving in to tyranny is NOT a necessary evil.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If anyone is curious, this is the reason why they do this test...

2006 transatlantic aircraft plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm no fan but with bad guys in the world, this is a necessary evil. With no security or random checks (to keep things....random) every crazy whaco would leave the movie theaters and Sikh temples, head straight to American or United and effective kill the airline industry.

Oh c'mon, HMTD? How do you get the get the HMTD out of it's aqueous state in an airport? It has to be precipitated in an ice bath. It's not explosive while in an aqueous state.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    These dumb*ss searches are already killing the airline industry. Caving in to tyranny is NOT a necessary evil.

I don't see how trying to prevent bad guys from blowing up or hijacking airplanes is caving into tyranny. Do you think the airport shuttle should drop folks off at the aircraft stairs? Maybe have the flight attendant come out with a bullhorn and start yelling "Get in, Sit Down, Hold on, Shut Up".

If you just hate TSA and want to see them gone, they will be replaced by a contractor doing the same thing as TSA and funded by the same tax. Bottom line is Congress mandates the screening...not DHS, TSA or the person doing the job. Downside is a contractor is just as worried as profit as they are safety.

Oh c'mon, HMTD? How do you get the get the HMTD out of it's aqueous state in an airport? It has to be precipitated in an ice bath. It's not explosive while in an aqueous state.

As for HMTD, it can be hidden in liquids just like TATP hidden in acetone...you never know it's there until you pour in a little water.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I'm 100% for targeted searches but if you don't heavily screen certain folks, bad guys will try to exploit that. Not that it's a threat but even airline stewardesses have been busted carrying large amounts of drugs when they were not geting checked thoroughly....thats why things need to be random and should check even the "trusted" people, even in the secured area. With a lot of immigrants from the middle east working at airports, I'm surprised they haven't caught more bad guys plotting/working to sneak threats around security.

It would be nice if they had an "Intention Detector"

1. Like I mentioned in my post, this screening does not happen often, therefore it serves as a poor deterrent. Also, because it is so rare for this to happen, it creates a poor sample size and the chances of catching a would be terrorist with this test is slim to none. Another thing I thought of, if there was someone there with ill intentions, would they just stay in the gate area and wait to be tested?

2. I can think of one case where a flight attendant was busted going through security with a large amount of drugs. So no that is not a common occurrence. I would think that most flight attendants just want to get to work and do their job. Oh yeah and that person did get caught! Me thinks that person was "checked thoroughly.

No I don't think we should treat every American who goes to the airport like a criminal. I think there are better ways to handle it.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    What would they do if you finished your drink quickly and handed them the empty cup? I'm guessing it would create a problem for them and they'd give you some grief because of it.
    It's what I plan on doing. Take a long continuous pull on my bottle of Diet Dew, hand the empty to the jackbooted thug, and say, "I'll have the rest of it out to you in an hour or so."

F*** the TSA!

And for those of you who say, "I'm just not going to fly anymore." What do you think they're going to do after they've destroyed the airline industry? Disband the TSA?

I have already seen the TSA stopping cars on roads to airline terminals, and searching them (apparently just driving to an airport passes as "reasonable suspicion"). Is it beyond imagination that the underpants sniffers are just going to continue moving up the road? Wait until they're parked on the street in front of your house one morning.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Sure, but don't you have to flash freeze it out with liquid NO2 or such?:dunno:

Just water, not even cold water for HMTD?

I read a method back in the '90's for making HMTD and it has to be precipitated out of solution with citric acid while being cooled by an ice bath, you can't just mix and go and it's not a fast process.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I don't see how trying to prevent bad guys from blowing up or hijacking airplanes is caving into tyranny.
    I'm not sure how you cannot see it.

If you just hate TSA and want to see them gone, they will be replaced by a contractor doing the same thing as TSA and funded by the same tax. Bottom line is Congress mandates the screening...not DHS, TSA or the person doing the job. Downside is a contractor is just as worried as profit as they are safety.
    Airline security should be hired and supervised entirely by the airlines themselves. No government subsidies, no government agencies. Airlines will want to create the best model for customer happiness and safety, and customers can choose the company that best suits them to fly with. In a free market, good companies make an effort to please their customers so they bring return business, unlike the government, which doesn't concern itself with such things.

Top Bottom