• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Well, that's something I never thought about.

Chinese have made extra runs or even "post production" runs of products since "Made in China" became a thing. It's called grey market.

I had chinese made tires once... Kumho Powerstar 758, they lasted 22,000 on my Corolla, never, ever again.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I will NEVER own a Chinese/Korean tire again... they just don't last. My money is MUCH better spent on a set of quality, US made tires (Goodrich/Michelin are best IMHO) that last double or triple the mileage as their crappy foreign competitors...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The reason chinese tires don't last is because they make their tires out of lubber instead of rubber.
    Mixup from their material supplier.

"You send us 20,000 kiloglams of lubber prease."

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I will NEVER own a Chinese/Korean tire again... they just don't last. My money is MUCH better spent on a set of quality, US made tires (Goodrich/Michelin are best IMHO) that last double or triple the mileage as their crappy foreign competitors...

Actually BFG/Michelins are a French brand, but it's all I run on my trucks. My brother works in the local BFG plant and has more than likely laid hands on all the All Terrains I have put on my trucks

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Actually BFG/Michelins are a French brand, but it's all I run on my trucks. My brother works in the local BFG plant and has more than likely laid hands on all the All Terrains I have put on my trucks

He said US "Made"! When I got out of the industry several years ago Michelin, Uniroyal (are they even still around?) and Goodrich were all one corporation. Bridgestone and Firestone were sleeping together and afaIk Goodyear was going it alone. I worked at one of the Goodyear plants for 11 years and we were making tires for anyone that had a mold and would pay us. I saw Parnelli's, Hoosiers, several "store" brands and others I don't remember. For the most part the compounds were the same if not similar. We would have a row of presses with Goodyear tires for the then new 17" tires for the Dodge trucks, the next row over we'd be cooking Parnelli's. They used to beat it into our heads how much higher quality the Michelins were and I buy Michelin whenever I can.

Just take a look at the trailer tires they sell at Menards, they all say made in china and there profiles are round as if they are way overinflated. Pure junk suitable for use on a garden trailer only that never leaves the property. Pay close attention when you buy "Name Brand" tires, a LOT of them say Made in China on the back and you don't know what you're getting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The reason chinese tires don't last is because they make their tires out of lubber instead of rubber.
    Mixup from their material supplier.

"You send us 20,000 kiloglams of lubber prease."

Oops. wrong direction... :): (they cant say Ls... R's are not a probrem...)

[video=youtube;xTq20prt0K8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTq20prt0K8[/video]

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :dunno: Don't buy cheap tires? Your tires are a very critical part of your car, they are the connection between your car and the road surface. If they fail, you might as well be piloting a hovercraft. The friction between the tires and the road is responsible for any and all maneuvering, spend some $$ and get a set that will keep you safe.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    :dunno: Don't buy cheap tires? Your tires are a very critical part of your car, they are the connection between your car and the road surface. If they fail, you might as well be piloting a hovercraft. The friction between the tires and the road is responsible for any and all maneuvering, spend some $$ and get a set that will keep you safe.

I think you missed the point. They are talking about counterfeits, not cheap tires. You may THINK you are buying Yokohama or Bridgestone, but in reality you are getting a cheap tire with that name on it.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think you missed the point. They are talking about counterfeits, not cheap tires. You may THINK you are buying Yokohama or Bridgestone, but in reality you are getting a cheap tire with that name on it.
    True, but I didn't see the big names from reputable stores being counter fitted, only bargain brands sold at bargain tire stores. Indeed if there are counterfeit name brands I would be worried.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Uniroyal (are they even still around?)
    Yup! I just put a new set of Uniroyal Tigerpaw's on my car a few months ago. Chose them specifically because I was taking off a set than ran 75,000+ miles. Which is not bad for a tire that cost me less than $100 ea installation & balancing included.

I think it goes without saying, ANY cheap foreign made tire is suspect. Just because it isn't a counterfeit doesn't mean it is quality. Yes, if a deal on name-brand sounds too good to be true it probably is, but likewise, if a cheap, off-brand tire seems too good to be true it probably is too...

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    ...or Pegasus?

Who has ever heard of Pegasus?

I have. You never been to Thunder Over Louisville? Pegasus pins are a part of that festival as the fireworks.

Plus the Pegasus is the icon for Buell motorcycles. Or were I guess. I can't afford a new '14 or '15 EBR bike!!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I just put a set of tires on my Sedan. I trust they were not "grey market". I have heard about junk copies, but have never heard them being labeled GOODYEAR. The Michelins still had a lot of life and were a quiet highway tread. Perfect for Texas, they Sucked last winter on the slick stuff. Shopping for tires, even the brand name stores really push the imports. I had prior experience with Goodyear triple tred all seasons. On my wifes Stratus they really performed in the snow.

There was a rebate so The top Goodyears ended up being just over $600. For a directional tred all season tire, they are quiet and smooth riding. After a few hundred miles I got pretty aggressive and pushed the big Mercury hard. Even when I was able to throw the car sideways they were very controllable in the drift with predictable counter steering. I think they will be a good safe tire in an emergency. They are supposed to last long, they did on the Stratus. I figure if they keep me out of the ditch (or worse) they are well worth the $200 more than the chinese cheapies. I also like to think some lunch bucket carrying American family man gets to keep putting some bread and milk in front of his kids. .

In the American market, the junk generally pushes out the good. The great discount dillusion. The cheapest upfront price generally costs the most in the long run.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just put a set of tires on my Sedan. I trust they were not "grey market". I have heard about junk copies, but have never heard them being labeled GOODYEAR. The Michelins still had a lot of life and were a quiet highway tread. Perfect for Texas, they Sucked last winter on the slick stuff. Shopping for tires, even the brand name stores really push the imports. I had prior experience with Goodyear triple tred all seasons. On my wifes Stratus they really performed in the snow.

There was a rebate so The top Goodyears ended up being just over $600. For a directional tred all season tire, they are quiet and smooth riding. After a few hundred miles I got pretty aggressive and pushed the big Mercury hard. Even when I was able to throw the car sideways they were very controllable in the drift with predictable counter steering. I think they will be a good safe tire in an emergency. They are supposed to last long, they did on the Stratus. I figure if they keep me out of the ditch (or worse) they are well worth the $200 more than the chinese cheapies. I also like to think some lunch bucket carrying American family man gets to keep putting some bread and milk in front of his kids. .

In the American market, the junk generally pushes out the good. The great discount dillusion. The cheapest upfront price generally costs the most in the long run.

I have the GY tripples on my AWD Dodge Journey. They are crazy good in the snow. My financial advisor's secretary is from Germany and told me yesterday that in Germany it is the law that they have to install snow tires in the winter. They don't have garages to store the extra tires so the tire shops store them and charge storage. Talking about a scam.....

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I have the GY tripples on my AWD Dodge Journey. They are crazy good in the snow. My financial advisor's secretary is from Germany and told me yesterday that in Germany it is the law that they have to install snow tires in the winter. They don't have garages to store the extra tires so the tire shops store them and charge storage. Talking about a scam.....

That would suck big time. I think I'd wash them off, let them dry for a day them stack them in the corner of the living room before I'd pay a tire place extra money to store them for me. Maybe get a nice square board to sit on top with a long table cloth. Nothing beats the smell of armor all with your meals.

Top Bottom