• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I hope the family that lives there now is well armed and prepared for anything! :D
    :rockwoot:YUP >... ANYTHING

Wii / PS## - SoCallofGhostHaloCom - :D CHECK.
    Neighbor Kids Playing w/ car remote alarms :rolleyes: - :bat:CHECK.
    Coyotes howling in the night - :ar15:CHECK
    Intruders on the street corner - :draw:CHECK
    All out Zombie War - :biggun:CHECK
    Sharing a tall cold one over a good ingo thread ...:cheers:

like I said ... ANYTHING

(did I over do that? :laugh:)

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Tonight I let my dog, a large male boxer at 90 lbs, go out to relieve himself. I stood by the door listening for him to return while watching the news and I heard him growl in that low, guttural 'danger' growl. I stepped out on the deck just as he took off running full bore at something. I let my eyes adjust to the dark in time to see him about 15 feet from 2 coyotes! I yelled at him as he slammed into one of them and it took a big roll while the other took off. Mugsy turned to look back at me then jogged back looking all proud of himself. I was wondering how I was going to get a shot off if they were in a tangle fighting. Luckily the coyote took off after it recovered from the hit and the other was already down the road about 100'. Now I have to keep a closer watch on him. Damn coyotes! Haven't seen one around here for over 5 years. That one tore a 5" hole in my chow/lab mix female before she and I could scare it off.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Tonight I let my dog, a large male boxer at 90 lbs, go out to relieve himself. I stood by the door listening for him to return while watching the news and I heard him growl in that low, guttural 'danger' growl. I stepped out on the deck just as he took off running full bore at something. I let my eyes adjust to the dark in time to see him about 15 feet from 2 coyotes! I yelled at him as he slammed into one of them and it took a big roll while the other took off. Mugsy turned to look back at me then jogged back looking all proud of himself. I was wondering how I was going to get a shot off if they were in a tangle fighting. Luckily the coyote took off after it recovered from the hit and the other was already down the road about 100'. Now I have to keep a closer watch on him. Damn coyotes! Haven't seen one around here for over 5 years. That one tore a 5" hole in my chow/lab mix female before she and I could scare it off.

I was wondering the same thing seconds before I never saw Sampson alive again.

Glad it worked out OK.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    :xmad:

Sorry for your loss.
    I would want to tear them apart with my bear hands.

I'm kind of wondering if coyotes are what I'm hearing jacking around about 4:00 am every other night.

You've got bear hands? Where'd you get 'em? Those bears have pretty long claws, or so I've heard. Does the rest of the bear come with them? (Just askin')

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Sorry to hear about your dog. Odd though I just saw this thread as two nights ago my two GSD's were barking like it was their job towards the intersection of our street. As I went out to see what the fuss was about, I saw about 4-5 coyotes heading back towards the highway from under a street lamp there. We have always heard them off in the distance over the years, but never seen them in the "burbs" that we live in. Must be getting more desperate than usual. I wondered close they got before my dogs really starting getting audible because at first I heard my female growling like she had never growled before at the window. I've still got some old coyote traps from when we used to live out in the stix if you want to use them. Nothing like maiming something your mad at for awhile before putting it down for good.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I was wondering the same thing seconds before I never saw Sampson alive again.

Glad it worked out OK.

Your thread crossed my mind too and I kinda freaked. I'm glad the coyotes decided to run instead of fight.

Again... sorry for your loss. Have you started looking for a new companion yet?

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    So sorry to here about your loss.

We hear coyotes all the time around here. Guess I should get better at plinking at longer ranges. Tested out my new weapon mounted flashlight, and I think it's going to work for night time work. Had good vision out to a 100 yards.

Good luck eliminating them varmints...

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    OP- Sorry about your dog, man. I have "worked" (okay I put on a bite sleeve and got treated like a chew toy) with that breed before. Great dogs.

Vicarious experience tells me that if your dog gets into it with a coyote, run up on them and if it breaks away, gun it down. If it doesn't, you need to decide if you are OK getting bit so that you can grab it and put it on the ground and start shooting through it into the dirt. My uncle kicked a 30 yard field goal with one once and shot it as it hit the ground. Still killed the little JRT though.

I have a killer digital caller, a spotlight, and gas in the truck. PM me. Hunting in January or February at night over snow is the bomb. They are so hungry then they can't help but come in... (You may also want to check out indianapredatorcentral to meet some guys that are really quite into killing coyotes. Even a few guys from here over there.) Hunting them is great, but trapping is much more efficient.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Was thinking the same thing after I saw the date. HOWEVER, I will give the heads up since it has already been bumped, Greenwood has numerous sightings of coyotes. If you have small animals that go outside at night, keep an eye out. If you have small children you don't want anymore, set them out at night.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    coyote

I'm sorry about your dog. We live in Paragon right on a big corn field and I have heard they come through there. I've never hunted, but would have no shame gunning one down. I only have a 12 ga. Would that work on them? I know it sounds all John Wayne and stuff, but I have been attacked by dogs before and lived through it, how much could going hand to paw with a coyote mess me up if it came to that?

Jason

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I'm sorry about your dog. We live in Paragon right on a big corn field and I have heard they come through there. I've never hunted, but would have no shame gunning one down. I only have a 12 ga. Would that work on them? I know it sounds all John Wayne and stuff, but I have been attacked by dogs before and lived through it, how much could going hand to paw with a coyote mess me up if it came to that?

Jason

If you can get them close enough, a 12Ga would work fine.
    Problem at my Dad's farm is getting close enough, they seem to stay 100 yards out. He had to get something more "high powered" to get them.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Jason

Probably a lot. Coyotes are more vicious than a similar sized dog. Also, I would assume any coyote that did not try to avoid a human was rabid.
    Another reason to always carry. Keep the 12 by the door.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

We did have a coyote problem in my neighborhood but they ran out of food and so moved on. I thought my fenced in yard would provide some protection for my dog. Then I saw on TV a video of a coyote scaling a 5ft fence. Vicious carnivores in a group they are devastating.

Top Bottom