• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I think a few of you know that I have taken up serious bike riding to get into better condition. I needed a challenge to keep me at the riding. I decided to do several 100 mile weekend rides. One in Sept in Michigan and the Hilly Hundred in southern Indiana in October.
    Since the communications/SAG director of the Hilly Hundred was originally from our local area I have been talking to him about helping out. He said he needs help bad enough that he convinced me to drive a SAG vehicle one day and only ride the bike for one day. I have been working on a bike mobile setup for the day I am riding. Last night to test it out I went on a 25 mile ride. Decided I need a better APRS antenna. A friend was checking on APRS for me and could only receive me for about 3 miles. He doesn't have a great antenna system...only mounted about 15 ft above the ground.

Now for the pics.
    Bike with HT, GPS, bike computer and APRS.
    DSCN0322.jpg

Handlebar setup. HT, GPS and computer
    DSCN0327.jpg

GPS box. 1/4 wave mag mount will be changed to a 1/2 wave larsen with a permanent NMO mount. The small ground plane and 1/4 wave antenna aren't enough.
    DSCN0330.jpg

Inside the box. IC2AT TT4 and 7ah LiFe battery. Rack, box and contents weigh about 5 lbs.
    DSCN0334.jpg

The Hilly Hundred - Brought to you by CIBA

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Nice set up. Going to be tough in between those hills getting a signal out regardless of the antenna.
    I know it is. I think they will be setting up a portable digipeater in the middle of the course for sunday. They want all moving SAG vehicles to have APRS. Duane did tell me that a 2 meter HT will get into the repeater they use for most of the course. Both radios will have 5 watts. They have used APRS for several years now and do find it useful. I don't expect every packet to get through but with transmitting my location every 2 minutes i hope enough make it to give them a good idea where I am on the course.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    When you are in town for the 100, let me know, I live just a couple miles from the high school where they start at. I had a goal to try and ride in it this year, but I think that is one I will have to keep working on for next year.

Good luck.

Top Bottom