• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    I have recently started biking and am enjoying it quite a bit. I am looking for suggestions for a bike rack for my vehicle. I have done a little bit of research and still need some advice. I have 2011 Toyota RAV4 and I do not have a hitch. I am looking for a rack that will carry 2 adult bikes and go over or attach to a spare tire on the back door. The issue that I am having is that I have a card plastic cover over my spare tire and I don't want to take it off or have it scratched all to crap from the rack. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help.

Terry

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Looks like you want a roof rack, then.

Look at Thule. They're the 800lb gorilla of roof rack mounting systems.

OR have a hitch added. They're really not all THAT expensive. Then you have to buy the hitch-mounted bike rack...

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I'll recommend getting a hitch and using a hitch mounted rack. Roof carry is going to be very inconvenient for that tall of a car, and a rear mounted rack that doesn't mount to the hitch will make accessing the back of the car very difficult when you have a bike on. We have a hitch mounted carrier for my wife's volvo XC90, and use a hitch extension with it so the back hatch and tailgate can open while the bikes are in place. It's very easy to use.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    From an avid cyclist and part time bike shop worker, roof rack on a rav4 would be difficult to use unless you are 6'6" and limits where you can drive (no drive through-es). And setting up a system if you don't have rails from the factory would be near $600-700. A hitch rack will be easier to use, no height worries for driving. The hitch itself I've heard to plan on $300-350 installed, then a rack can range from $250-500 depending on features.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I put a 2" hitch on our Rav and use a Thule hitch carrier. Comes stock as a two bike and can carry four with an add on kit. Works out nice for a small utility trailer and my Jon boat too.

Got to pay to play. Caskets don't have pockets.;)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    From an avid cyclist and part time bike shop worker, roof rack on a rav4 would be difficult to use unless you are 6'6" and limits where you can drive (no drive through-es). And setting up a system if you don't have rails from the factory would be near $600-700. A hitch rack will be easier to use, no height worries for driving. The hitch itself I've heard to plan on $300-350 installed, then a rack can range from $250-500 depending on features.

I would agree. I worked at a shop for 8 years. Lots of people getting a roof rack installed came back an hour later after they wadded the whole thing up under their garage door or a low overhang. I think they are more trouble than they are worth. Wreck the bikes, vehicle, rack, and the garage all in one swipe. Unbolt the whole mess, pitch it and start over. Good for business I guess.

Hitches now days should be a gravy install. I do believe all vehicles are pre wired and drilled. I wont have a vehicle without a 2" hitch on it.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    I would agree. I worked at a shop for 8 years. Lots of people getting a roof rack installed came back an hour later after they wadded the whole thing up under their garage door or a low overhang. I think they are more trouble than they are worth. Wreck the bikes, vehicle, rack, and the garage all in one swipe. Unbolt the whole mess, pitch it and start over. Good for business I guess.

Hitches now days should be a gravy install. I do believe all vehicles are pre wired and drilled. I wont have a vehicle without a 2" hitch on it.

I personally have a roof rack, but on a shorter vehicle and with an employee discount. I just put the front wheel in sight in the rear view mirror since I back into the garage, and the main bike is worth more than the car.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm gonna jump on the hitch rack bandwagon. I have used some sort of rack for transport for the last twenty-five years. I have a ton of Yakima roof rack parts that aren't used anymore. I've had Thule, Yakima, and kuat hitch racks. My current favorite is my kuat nv 2.0 with the add on. Just remember that any rack that touches any part of your vehicle has the potential to scratch it. Hitch racks are good for that reason, and also better than roof racks when it comes to mpg of your vehicle. Also, i'll make a nod toward etrailer.com for your hitch. Reasonable price and fast shipping. You'll want a 2" hitch and it will most likely be bolt on with no drilling required.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I used a Saris Bones on the hatch of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It worked well.
    Was up high enough (Jeep lifted too) that crossing into some rough areas to ride, the bikes didn't drag.

Top Bottom