• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Where's the best place to go looking on the North side? I'm aware of BGI, but I don't know how they are on prices and such.

I also don't know a single thing about them, what's best for me, and haven't been on one since I was about 6, so who knows if I even know how anymore.

Pretty tired of being out of shape, mostly in part due to when my thyroid decided to take a crap on me. With the nicer weather looming, I'm on the quest to look awesome like I used to. Rugby injury in HS keeps me from running currently, so biking seems like my best option for at home cardio.

HALP! PLAZ! :D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The only places I go is BGI and A1 Cyclery.

Prices will be $600 and up. But anything you buy there will be better than Wal-Mart and Dicks.

I'm a big fan of TREK. I LOVE mine.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    There was a nice Cannondale on craigslist yesterday for $600 - just sayn if you can save a lil $ you might be able to get a pair of rockn heals to go with that rock bod you're tryn to achieve :D

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I have had great luck with Matthews. They carry Trek and Raleigh and always have a large selection.
    They may carry other brands also.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I bought a bike from BGI last fall. They took me through all the different kinds of bikes, and all I can say is, wow, things have changed from when there were three types: bmx, road and mountain. Anyway, they explained everything to me, let me ride a few, and helped me make a decision. The sales person also gave me a quick tutorial on how to change a flat quickly. I ended up getting a good deal on a bike that was one model year older than the new ones that were just coming in (still new in my book). I think it was a 2012, and the 2013 models were starting to trickle in.

Also, if you go to BGI, don't expect to take the bike home right away, especially if they are busy. They tune it up, put your accessories on, etc. I was there during a slow period and only had to wait about 20 minutes, but YMMV. Overall, I was very happy with the level of service I received from BGI, and will be going back.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Matthew's has always treated me well. Our bikes are several years old now (huh, more like 15), but my wife and I got great deals on great bikes from Matthew's.

Any any case, go to a REAL bike shop, not a big-box store. The advice from a knowledgeable person is worth the small difference in price.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    BGI, Matthews both good shops. Performance okay for big box type dealer.

Here is what you should do.

Go into one of the shops and talk to a salesperson. Tell them what kind of riding you are going to do and what your goals are. Then have them provide some basic fit to determine what size frame you should be looking for.

Then go to the other shops and see what they offer. Bicycle shops provide many different models of basically the same bike. They change components and materials to reach a certain price point. Since you already have a price point in mind, once you determine the style of bike you want and get a frame size, you are ready to go shopping for the one you want. Don't let the salespeople convince you that you need to spend $100's of dollars on a sophisticated bike "fitting". However you should get a basic fit so you are comfortable on the bike.

One of the reasons more Americans don't ride is because they "fight the bike" due to bad fit, heavy weight and cheap components that don't work well. A bicycle shop bike will be enjoyable to ride and the only limitation will be you....which is what it should be. Equipment should never be your limiting factor.

PM me if you want more detail...sorry so long. I guess you can see one of my other passions.:)

Oh, and keep in mind that your price point will get you a nice bike but it is considered entry level to low mid-point for quality bikes. $3000 bikes are commonplace these days. I am not saying you are getting a cheap bike, I just don't want you to freak out when you see the prices for the first time. This ain't Wal-Mart! :)

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Thanks for the help so far!

Greg, thanks for the winded explanation! I've got a girlfriend that picked up riding last year, and she seems to really love her Trek Hybrid bike, so I might be looking into those. Unfortunately, I'm a poor student looking to be even poorer by applying to med school, so I'm lucky to be able to afford this much for a bike currently! :): For a good reason to get some muscle mass back, it's hopefully not a bad starting point.

I'm lucky to live near the Lafayette Rd. bike lanes, so that will at least be nice.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the help so far!

Greg, thanks for the winded explanation! I've got a girlfriend that picked up riding last year, and she seems to really love her Trek Hybrid bike, so I might be looking into those. Unfortunately, I'm a poor student looking to be even poorer by applying to med school, so I'm lucky to be able to afford this much for a bike currently! :): For a good reason to get some muscle mass back, it's hopefully not a bad starting point.

I'm lucky to live near the Lafayette Rd. bike lanes, so that will at least be nice.

You will do fine in that price range. Based on what you have said, a hybrid sounds like a good choice. But an inexpensive but comfortable helmet. They all have to meet certain safety requirements so the more expensive ones may get lighter and cooler, but they won't be any safer. Your friend should be able to help since she just went down the path you are about to go. Good luck!

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    I know you said north side but I have to recommend Gray Goat Sports in Greenwood. Far and away the best service in any of the shops I've visited. They have treated me better than the shop where I dropped $1000 on my bike

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Craigslist! Hodsons bay's used section isn't bad in West Lafayette. I bought a nice Fuji crosspro a few years back. Great price on a great bike.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Hodsons in my opinion is the best bike shop I've felt with - they have a great service dept - but its in W.Lafayette - not Indy - but well worth looking into -

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Mathews or Performance. The last two times I went into BGI it was horrible. The actual last time I was in there I couldn't get anyone to help me or even acknowledge I was there. Performance is a big box store but the Castleton store actually has a couple knowledgeable people working there. If you are buying a bike it's worth it to join their points program for a year and buy when they have double or triple points. I bought a bike from them on a triple points weekend and ended up going in the following g Monday for new shoes, pedals and some shorts all using the points.

Top Bottom