• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So my government (working in my best interest) is going to sue a company I purchase products from and have near zero complaints with, over games which I could care less about. Games. Millions of tax dollars spent on a frivolous lawsuit and millions wasted in defense of stupid lawsuit which will be later collected from consumers. So higher taxes, more expensive and undoubtedly worse performing products, more government intrusion and more rich lawyers.

What's not to love?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You think I am OK with what John Deere does?

I understand you are a fan, and thus Apple can do no wrong. That does not change the fact that they have a monopoly on apps for iPhones and iPads. This is purely a case of greed. Apple wants a piece of every app a user of their products buy.
    I am an Apple fan precisely because they keep a tight rein and don’t let BS third parties corrupt my phone. Do I not have the right to buy a phone that is less affected by third party failures?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am an Apple fan precisely because they keep a tight rein and don’t let BS third parties corrupt my phone. Do I not have the right to buy a phone that is less affected by third party failures?
    Basically, if you create a product which reaches a certain level of success you're subject to have the government step in and forcibly allow others to **** in it while trying to get a piece of the pie. The American way.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Apple should just start a wild west app store for jailbroken devices for those longing for a more Android like experience. Should put their regular app store out of business since it's apparently so far superior to the hugely seccessful struggling and almost bankrupt because it barely works Apple platform.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    more expensive and undoubtedly worse performing products
    Laws they are enforcing are why "Google" is both a noun & verb. We would still be using Internet Explorer and Asking Jeeves on desktop computers running Windows 2000. You wouldn't have an iPhone, you wouldn't have screens in cars, and countless other innovations from open source type technologies.

Competition drives better products and lower prices.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    They broke the other 16 and this one's been out six months. They'll get there.

Yep. It's the continued "cat and mouse" game. Hacker finds new exploit. Apple closes that exploit and adds new code. Repeat... I had various jailbroken iPhones for > 10 years. But for now, the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore.

And while you can make valid complaints about the way Apple does things, more government innervation is never the right answer!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Competition drives better products and lower prices.
    Until it can't, then politician's pockets get filled and government intervention ensures a poorer experience for everyone.

Or am I to believe this is the one remaining issue our government is to be trusted to be working in our interests on?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I give up. I honestly cannot see how you guys keep on like this. Nothing in this would force anyone to get any software in any manner other than that which they chose.

I have an Android, and I have no software that was not acquired through the Google Play Store. It is a choice.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I give up. I honestly cannot see how you guys keep on like this. Nothing in this would force anyone to get any software in any manner other than that which they chose.

I have an Android, and I have no software that was not acquired through the Google Play Store. It is a choice.
    Show me one thing the government stepped in and actually improved.

Our government's role isn't suing American corporations to extort billions of dollars and drive costs up and quality down for consumers but that is exactly what they're doing instead of things like securing the border. There are no virtuous intentions within the government, this isn't some wrong righting crusade by some valiant power out to help the little man. Our government does nothing that does not serve the government first and foremost.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Show me one thing the government stepped in and actually improved.

Our government's role isn't suing American corporations to extort billions of dollars and drive costs up and quality down for consumers but that is exactly what they're doing instead of things like securing the border. There are no virtuous intentions within the government, this isn't some wrong righting crusade by some valiant power out to help the little man. Our government does nothing that does not serve the government first and foremost.
    Anti-trust is one of the few things they often get right. It doesn't require them to do or manage anything long term, they are forcing a company to change some part of its actions. Lack of competition seldom benefits the consumer.

I'd say breaking up ATT was good for the consumer in the end.

Stepping in and changing Microsoft's behavior was good in the end.

Standard Oil in the early 1900s was another.

And this is not an OR situation. The .gov is huge. It has more than enough resources to tackle Apple on anti-trust and the border. Don't make it out that doing one results in neglecting the other.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And this is not an OR situation. The .gov is huge. It has more than enough resources to tackle Apple on anti-trust and the border. Don't make it out that doing one results in neglecting the other.
    I wasn't. I was pointing out what our government is actually interested in doing. If our government was interested in serving the people we would have a secure border but we do not. In my opinion, nothing our government does now is good, nothing. It is a poisoned, cancerous growth incapable of producing anything of value and is 100% devoid of virtuous intent. You can like this lawsuit all you want but you will never convince me (or prove) that this is anything but a government serving to empower and enrich itself while handicapping its own citizens.

This doesn't help the American people. I haven't seen or heard any mass complaints from Apple users about the app store and if there were, apparently Android is far superior anyway so they can go that route, right? Why bother? Why spend millions of tax dollars suing a company on behalf of its what, overwhelmingly satisfied customer base?

This is about power and money and making sure the government can control everything. It isn't about a better product or service for us.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Maybe we'll all get really lucky and the Government can bring Apple to heel so we can all enjoy things like voting with our phones and the security and election integrity that comes along with it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Maybe we'll all get really lucky and the Government can bring Apple to heel so we can all enjoy things like voting with our phones and the security and election integrity that comes along with it.
    You act like Apple has your best interests at heart and is fighting the good fight to protect you.

If they lose this fight, I doubt you will even know it other than hearing about it in the news.

Top Bottom