• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But remember it's all theater and the average democrat voter is too stupid to realize that black smoke is just soot and not harmful pollution. (Yes I realize diesel emissions create more NOx than gas, but as a net whole for the climate it's far less impactful)

Comprehending invisible things is far too difficult for someone who would vote for biden.

:scratch: It's still harmful to breathe. It just doesn't impact CO2 in the atmosphere as much as gas cars do. And speaking of CO2, why not plant more trees? plants use C02 in photosynthesis and turn it to O2. We don't have to hug the trees to end global warming. Just plant them.

Disclaimer: The last line was a joke. I'm not saying global warming is a thing we need to solve for. But still. Plant more trees.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    :scratch: It's still harmful to breathe. It just doesn't impact CO2 in the atmosphere as much as gas cars do. And speaking of CO2, why not plant more trees? plants use C02 in photosynthesis and turn it to O2. We don't have to hug the trees to end global warming. Just plant them.

Disclaimer: The last line was a joke. I'm not saying global warming is a thing we need to solve for. But still. Plant more trees.
    Oh no. Bill Gates poo-poo'd that already.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Bottom up?

I don't think so
    Seems that they are the party of the rich and big corporations

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Bottom up?

I don't think so
    Seems that they are the party of the rich and big corporations

Obviously big tech companies are Democrat supporters, as well as most of the big companies like Amazon, and Walmart. I mean their owners.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

As far as I understand the tree issue is that if you made all of the soil of the lands into trees it still wouldn't be that huge of an impact due to the landmass relative to sea.

Now some form of algae would have some serious potential because of surface area.

Still an easier problem to solve by just spraying sulfur dioxide into the upper atmosphere by adding an additive to jet fuel. Change percentages as trends in the climate are tracked and you have very fine control over the issue until the market finds better "sustainable" options naturally. It's a comically easy problem to solve, yet everyone is looking for a way to make a buck rather than giving them the truth. That solution wouldn't be very marketable for subsidies.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    As far as I understand the tree issue is that if you made all of the soil of the lands into trees it still wouldn't be that huge of an impact due to the landmass relative to sea.

Now some form of algae would have some serious potential because of surface area.

Still an easier problem to solve by just spraying sulfur dioxide into the upper atmosphere by adding an additive to jet fuel. Change percentages as trends in the climate are tracked and you have very fine control over the issue until the market finds better "sustainable" options naturally. It's a comically easy problem to solve, yet everyone is looking for a way to make a buck rather than giving them the truth. That solution wouldn't be very marketable for subsidies.
    And that's not even to mention that nuclear power exists...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

We're 11500 years into a warm interglacial period that typically lasts from 11000 to 15000 years. Nobody really knows what flips the switch to start off a new glacial period, it may be connected to the obliquity variation of the earth's axial tilt relative to its orbital plane (Milankovitch cycle). Would you really want to risk pushing us past a tipping point we aren't even aware of for some short term gain on warming (which is a natural feature of an interglacial period anyway)?

Same problem all climate mitigation has, if you can't accurately model the system (and we can't) then you can't accurately predict the effects of any mitigation attempt. Climate isn't a linear system and science can't even identify all the variables or parse which ones are dependent or independent.

What could possibly go wrong?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Same problem all climate mitigation has, if you can't accurately model the system (and we can't) then you can't accurately predict the effects of any mitigation attempt. Climate isn't a linear system and science can't even identify all the variables or parse which ones are dependent or independent.
    This is the gist of the problem. What hubris to think we understand how the climate for the whole planet works.

We think we know some of the things that go into it, but there is no way we know it all.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    We're 11500 years into a warm interglacial period that typically lasts from 11000 to 15000 years. Nobody really knows what flips the switch to start off a new glacial period, it may be connected to the obliquity variation of the earth's axial tilt relative to its orbital plane (Milankovitch cycle). Would you really want to risk pushing us past a tipping point we aren't even aware of for some short term gain on warming (which is a natural feature of an interglacial period anyway)?

What could possibly go wrong?

Could go wrong, sure, but it would have far less long term effect than you think it would.

I'm just saying this is a cheap way to have a throttle on the environment for what would work out to be pennies on the dollar.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Could go wrong, sure, but it would have far less long term effect than you think it would.

I'm just saying this is a cheap way to have a throttle on the environment for what would work out to be pennies on the dollar.
    Suffers from the same non-linearity and modeling deficiencies of climate change as well as poorly understood lifespan of the intervention due to minimal knowledge of the high altitude chemistry

Personally, I don't like the idea of deploying a tool that is inadequately understood to affect a system that is inadequately understood in ways that can't be adequately quantified or modeled. I am confident that there are worse things than a degree or two of warming

The important consideration is to get beyond the hysterical belief that we MUST do something now; because no, we really don't

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Suffers from the same non-linearity and modeling deficiencies of climate change as well as poorly understood lifespan of the intervention due to minimal knowledge of the high altitude chemistry

Personally, I don't like the idea of deploying a tool that is inadequately understood to affect a system that is inadequately understood in ways that can't be adequately quantified or modeled. I am confident that there are worse things than a degree or two of warming

The important consideration is to get beyond the hysterical belief that we MUST do something now; because no, we really don't

Counter point is that we've been pumping billions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere without any understanding of what could result from it, even now.

All I'm saying is to fight fire with fire instead of try to upend everyone's lives and change society as a whole.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Counter point is that we've been pumping billions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere without any understanding of what could result from it, even now.

All I'm saying is to fight fire with fire instead of try to upend everyone's lives and change society as a whole.
    I'm saying The Law of Unintended Consequences is always in play

I would like to see credible proof that it couldn't possibly make things worse

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Donald Trump GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers (GIF Image)

Top Bottom