• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    If I shoot like normal I can see the target, but the sights are a bit fuzzy. If I tilt my head back I get a good sight picture, but the target looks blurry. Bah! This used to be a whole lot easier when I was a young man in the Army.

Anyone have any advice on this one?

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    As I've aged, that problem has gotten worse for me. I am planning on taking an old pair in this week, and getting the lens replaced with old style line bifocals to use at the range.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    [STRIKE]

Reflex sight, and shoot with both eyes open.
    [/STRIKE]

Never mind... just seen this is in the handgun section.. :ugh:

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    My grandfather always said "Getting old is not a disgrace, but it is awful unhandy at times" Now I know what he meant. I had the same problem with my bifocals, so I picked up a pair of reading glasses the same strength as the lower part of my bifocal. No more tilted head, better form, and I even hit the target. I think this helped my shooting because I concentrate more the front sight. When you are in the store trying some on, with your arms strecthed out to focus on what might be your sight, don't cock your fingers and go "bang".

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If I shoot like normal I can see the target, but the sights are a bit fuzzy. If I tilt my head back I get a good sight picture, but the target looks blurry. Bah! This used to be a whole lot easier when I was a young man in the Army.

Focus on the front sight. Even when I was young, the front sight was clear, and the target was fuzzy. The human eye, cannot focus on 2 things, at two different distances, at one time ..... :twocents:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I actually told my eye doctor that I wanted my glasses set up so I could shoot pistols. He did a digital gradiant trifocal that works pretty well. Like said above, the middle part of the lens focuses on the sights and the upper part of the lens focuses on the target. The bottom of my lens actually has almost no correction as I can see close clearly without correction.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Use the Force, Luke.
    icon_obiwan.gif

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    When I got my lineless gradient bifocals they actually improved my shooting in a major way. Helped me focus on just the front sight which is what you are supposed to do anyway.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I have a pair with just the normal vision (top) Not too much money involved for a single vision prescription. If you have an old frame, use it. I shoot with both the single and tri focal, Just like fishersjohn48 and stephan87 said.. Redundant see redundant. I'd rather use the single vision.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Walmart carries some stick on lenes that go on with water to your regular shooting glasses and can also be removed easily.Nice thing about them is you can put just one on and not bother with the other eye,and they can be located higher than the normal lower bifocal. Most of us with aging eyes can get by with the 1:25's for a little longer dstances and 1:50's work great with handguns at 25 yards or less. About $7 per set.

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne

i have progressive bifocals and I hate them when I shoot my handguns
    in order for me to get the front sight in focus my head winds up tilted so far back that it is very uncomfortable. So about a year ago i started to try to just use the top part of the lens ( the distance part ) and focus on the target only and forget about having a "sharp" front sight. I know this is not the right way but it sometimes help me. So basically the target is focused and the front and back sights are very fuzzy.
    I am all ears if anybody has any suggestions without spending money on a "special" pair of glasses???

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    One of the Trainers at my LGS recommended going to the dollar store and getting a cheap pair of readers. hold a regular ink pen at arms length. When the tip of the pen is in focus that is the strength you need.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are wanting precision target sight picture, look into an iris like a Lyman Hawkeye, a Merit adjustable disc or a Gehmann. You can have your sights and the target, but you sacrifice speed. Good Luck

Last edited:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Remedy

I have progressive lenses, and I like them for everyday wear.
    I found at the range, getting the target in clear focus and letting the front site stay blurry, worked best for me.
    Once the eyes start to go, shooting does become even more of an effort.

Shots fired...

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    ^^^ That's interesting, I'll have to try it. I just started getting into this at 48. I already have the progressive lenses which I like for the most part, but I've never had the older style bifocals either. I was thinking about how I was doing it the other day (rifle) and I was siting in and focusing on the front site and allowing the target to become blurry, centering up the front focused site on the blurry target in the background. This seemed to work well at 25 yards but now you have me wondering if that will change much at 50 yards or beyond. Now I want to go try it! :ar15:

Top Bottom