• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    Cameras like any eloctrinic will have a limited life span. My theory is the less it’s out in the elements and less pictures it takes the longer it should last. I usuallly put one or two out as early as may just to kinda get inventory then start setting most of mine out in July. Gives me plenty of time to get inventory and catch on to a few early season patterns.

What your describing sounds like he may not be bedding on you :dunno: but probably not to far as your property sounds like prime deer habitat. What’s the chance you could acquire access to the neighboring property? More ground equals more opportunities.

Either way about the time time you start getting him figured out the seasons will change and so will his patterns. You only have 10 acres so it will take all of about 3 days of hunting to put a fair amount of pressure on him if your not careful so pick your hunts and tactics wisely and good luck!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Pulled all my cameras today going to put out a salt lick & maybe put a camera on it... I have no self control when it comes to getting sim cards... its like Christmas. I have a feeder I can put out in the off season with a timer. (bought on clearance a few years ago) haven't used it yet cant be too hard. But other than that I will just leave the back of the property alone.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Build the pond if you want(water sources can be good places to hunt during the rut) and build the permanent blind(deer figure out "permanent blinds and stands quickly so hunt it sparingly if you intend to hunt mature bucks out of it) if you want to but do it sooner rather later....

I agree with two70. The pond is a good source of water for the deer and get the blind built sooner rather than later. Also, the best way to get bucks to come back during hunting season is to get some Does to hang around regularly. I put out corn weekly in several different locations on my 10 acres and the Does are hungry and stay where the food source is this time of year (be careful not to overfeed them corn though as too much corn can also be harmful). I stop feeding corn to them about the start of April and by then the Does have gotten a liking to the area and hang around. I keep the trail cameras up all year and check them weekly and then drop some more corn (winter through March) when I check the cameras and repeat the following week. The reason I check mine weekly is to see how many does I have returning to eat and to make sure I put out ample amount of corn. Then I also put out a salt lick (I like the 25 pound mineral rocks from Bass Pro) at the camera sites. I get lots of deer hitting them especially when it gets hot. A little amount of some deer cane or Black Magic at your salt lick spots will bring in the bucks periodically through the year so I can see on trail camera what's still hanging around in the area. Food plots also help but aren't required. I also try and put my cameras and corn feed spots / salt licks near acorns since the deer like to munch on those as well in the fall. Maximize your potential spots so you can get the most of your trail cameras and future hunting spots. Just make sure to have the salt licks pulled up prior to hunting season. Then hopefully with the Does hanging around it will bring the bucks in chasing during the rut in the daytime hours. That's my process for what it's worth.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I agree with two70. The pond is a good source of water for the deer and get the blind built sooner rather than later. Also, the best way to get bucks to come back during hunting season is to get some Does to hang around regularly. I put out corn weekly in several different locations on my 10 acres and the Does are hungry and stay where the food source is this time of year (be careful not to overfeed them corn though as too much corn can also be harmful). I stop feeding corn to them about the start of April and by then the Does have gotten a liking to the area and hang around. I keep the trail cameras up all year and check them weekly and then drop some more corn (winter through March) when I check the cameras and repeat the following week. The reason I check mine weekly is to see how many does I have returning to eat and to make sure I put out ample amount of corn. Then I also put out a salt lick (I like the 25 pound mineral rocks from Bass Pro) at the camera sites. I get lots of deer hitting them especially when it gets hot. A little amount of some deer cane or Black Magic at your salt lick spots will bring in the bucks periodically through the year so I can see on trail camera what's still hanging around in the area. Food plots also help but aren't required. I also try and put my cameras and corn feed spots / salt licks near acorns since the deer like to munch on those as well in the fall. Maximize your potential spots so you can get the most of your trail cameras and future hunting spots. Just make sure to have the salt licks pulled up prior to hunting season. Then hopefully with the Does hanging around it will bring the bucks in chasing during the rut in the daytime hours. That's my process for what it's worth.

You had had better do more than just pull the salt block or mineral block prior to the season. A CO with no sense of humor ( and there are a lot of them ) will cite you if you don’t also dig up the dirt in and around the salt block. A totally discretionary violation with no scientific basis for soil content that I’ve ever heard of.

In contrast, you can plant all the corn, soybeans, or turnips your little heart desires.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    What about pulling sim cards... how do I go about that without bothering everyone is there a good time of day?

Trying to avoid the temptation of checking cards is the problem. New batteries and leaving them out for long periods of time will help you in the long run. ThatÂ’s easier said than done!! If you can leave the camera untouched for 3 months straight and you feel your 10 acres have not been pressured by any means, then you have given him the best chance to see if he is comfortable on your site. The more you check cards the more your possibly bumping him. If you want a good shot at him your better off staying away and and allow him space. With 10 acres only you have a big challenge on your hands.

extreme windy days are a great time for card changes.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sounds like he isn't bedding on your property but I wouldn't worry about that, especially if no one messes with the neighboring abandoned property where it sounds like he may be bedding.

Mature bucks like good cover and zero disturbances from people 10.5 months out of the year. The remaining 1.5 months they'll abandon almost everything they typically value in pursuit of hot does. Since this is when you're most likely to kill him I would spend your resources making your property as attractive to does as possible and let him bed where he wants to.

That said, I've found that small (1/4 acre or so) isolated clumps of trees can be fantastic during the rut. Depending on the competition mature bucks like to push a hot doe into these areas because they're easier to defend. If you have something like that, work on getting stands up that you can access in various wind conditions.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I hated waiting on my game cam cards to "soak", only to find after letting them "soak" for a week I had something go wrong, and the camera went to full auto mode, and I wasted a week.

This year I switched to the cuddylink system, and couldn't be happier. During season I check my camera's 2x a day. I liked it so much I became a dealer.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I hated waiting on my game cam cards to "soak", only to find after letting them "soak" for a week I had something go wrong, and the camera went to full auto mode, and I wasted a week.

This year I switched to the cuddylink system, and couldn't be happier. During season I check my camera's 2x a day. I liked it so much I became a dealer.

IMO, the only thing better than the Cuddelink system is a Cuddelink system hooked up to a cell base. Of course if you live on or near the property you hunt, a Cuddelink or two paired with a cheap receiver base kept in your house is nearly as good. It is pretty amazing what you can learn about deer movement when you are receiving ongoing nearly real time updates. Plus you also get the benefits of only having to visit a camera(and possibly disturbing deer) when you need to replace batteries.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have never heard of the cuddelink, that is pretty awesome living on the property I could seriously benefit from these. What is the life expectancy on a $200 camera? All the cameras I have bought over there years... probably 10 of them. All around the $100 point crap out after one season.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have never heard of the cuddelink, that is pretty awesome living on the property I could seriously benefit from these. What is the life expectancy on a $200 camera? All the cameras I have bought over there years... probably 10 of them. All around the $100 point crap out after one season.

The Cuddelink cams are too new to give an idea of service life yet but they do share similar builds and weatherproofing as previous models so a possibly valid comparison can be made. I've had one or two of the previous Cuddeback models fail after 3 years but most are still going strong after 5 years with 9-10 months of use per year. IMO, using Cuddesafes help prolong camera life by providing some protection from the elements as well.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Bought daytime dripper today on clearance and dusted off the automatic feeder I have never used! Saw him in the field touching my property at 5pm the other night..... so I’m thinking he is bedding on the neighboring property. I also put out a mineral block in a bucket hoping he knocks his antlers off :dunno:

i know there are better antler traps & they don’t really use the minerals right now but i dont want to be stomping around back there anymore than I have been.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    When I put out my dripper and my feeder.... am I going to put it where I want them to kill or do I put it where I can intercept travel?

Top Bottom