Big cats, and not like a fat house cat....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pewpewlife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Wherever I am now
    So I keep getting wind of mountain lions and panthers roaming NW Indy (Marshall County area). Does anyone have any input or should I go back to worrying about the rogue sasquatch?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I am in the same area and have not heard anything about this. Southern Indiana has had reported sightings, but I have not heard about anything up here.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    About 20 years ago there was a horse attacked around the North Liberty area that was claimed to be from a mountain lion.
    That is the only claim I can recall.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Judging be the posts here and other sources, it appears that so far, pumas are much more common in the southern part of the state, but it should be mentioned that this particular animal is famous for being extremely mobile, known for covering a huge amount of territory daily, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they they occasionally make forays into the northern part of the state, then right back out to other areas in their quest for food.
    It's thrilling that they're finally returning to our part of the country.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We know that up our way many sightings come from escaped "pets." Some keep these as flashy big kittehs, and when they escape, owners are hesitant to tell their neighbors and local LEOs that they have loosed a dangerous animal in their midst.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I feel that yes we have a couple of big cats wandering around but under that same note I also feel they are the Big Foot of modern time.

kind of like the story of divers at every large dam in the state seeing a catfish that was soooo big it made them exit the water and refuse to ever dive their again!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I feel that yes we have a couple of big cats wandering around but under that same note I also feel they are the Big Foot of modern time.

kind of like the story of divers at every large dam in the state seeing a catfish that was soooo big it made them exit the water and refuse to ever dive their again!

It is funny that you say say that, as I used yo know a diver whose job it was to clear debris from the dam area of lake Monroe, and he claimed to have had that SAME experience - what he thought was a log started swimming away from him!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It is funny that you say say that, as I used yo know a diver whose job it was to clear debris from the dam area of lake Monroe, and he claimed to have had that SAME experience - what he thought was a log started swimming away from him!

We had a small plane go down in the river below the bear traps...I was in scouts and one of our scoutmasters was one of the divers who searched for the plane...He had a similar experience...Swore he would never dive in that river again...

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    While it's not quite NW, we had a mountain lion go through our farm in Warren Co in 2015. One of our neighbors actually got a pic of him on the trail cam. I don't think it's terribly uncommon for one to go through indiana, but I haven't heard of one sticking around long.

Top Bottom