• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    This is my H&R model 176 single shot 10 Gauge this is my 2nd one I had one a couple years ago and sadly let it go so I found another one and bought it. I think the Barrel is to long though (my old one was 18.5 :rockwoot:) because I dont Bird hunt. It defiantly kicks your shoulder.

a2py0n.jpg

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'd say that's a bruiser, more ways than one. But then how much does an average person shoot a 10 gauge when goose hunting ect?
    Nice gun.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I actually think that the 10 gets a bad rap as far as recoil goes. I have no H&R experience in the 10, so I can't really talk about it. What I do know quite well is that I had (note key word "had") a BPS in 10 gauge as well as 3.5 12 gauge. I took the 12 goose hunting and had my fill of recoil. The next day I took the heavier 10 and immediately sold the 3.5 12. I'm sure that it is a great gun, but as far as my shoulder is concerned, give me the 10 gauge any day of the week (and twice on any saturday of goose season).

Last edited:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I have an older (early 90's) BPS in 10 ga. I agree, it will definately get your attention when you touch one off but the recoil is far from unbearable.
    It's a coyote killing machine. Copper plated lead BB's are bad medicine.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Pump, auto-loaders and SxS's, everyone should have a 10. I'm saving up for an old 8 Bore, that'll get those pesky tree rats!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Not many would get that reference!

Yeah, that's about the sound it makes, even if you miss the goose, the wind shear takes them to the ground anyways. Then you can shot them when they try and fly again!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Pump, auto-loaders and SxS's, everyone should have a 10. I'm saving up for an old 8 Bore, that'll get those pesky tree rats!
    One of my most memorable shotgun images and why I will never forget Thurm's name.

Circa 1979. Ol' Thurm was like 75 something, the gun may have been that old too, a single shot 8 gauge. It may have even been taller than Thurm and he almost could not handle the gun. In his old age he was getting slower on the shot. I often found myself saying "shoot Thurm, shoot" as he would break the birds just before hitting the tops of the grass (trap).

Then came that fateful day, wait for it, wait for it, wait..............I never saw so much smoke and flaming wading and slow motion boom in my life. My boss handed him a fairly hot shell. :laugh:

Yeah, you need an 8!

Top Bottom