• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe they are trying to insist that it was a campaign expense because they say the hush money was paid to try and keep it from negatively affecting his campaign.
    General question, If one self funds a campaign as Trump did for some of that campaign would it matter if self provided funds paid a hush claim?

Does the deposit of personal funds in your own campaign give the government control of how those funds are used?

Are they trying to tie personal funds used as a personal contribution to the Trump campaign and criminalize that?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There are exceptions to this generalization…
    Yes, it is a generalization.

It is not EVERY parent. It never is.
    But let's say we're running along fine, with 5 percent (just a made up number) of parents being on 'autopilot'.
    Then things change a little, and it's 7 percent.
    then 10 percent.

At a certain point, it becomes a 'tipping point'.
    That kid over there got away with it, so my Jimmy should get away with it.
    Grades are getting lower, so we should lower the requirements, it must be 'TOO HARD'... even though kids before learned it.
    You can't hold my Tommy back, it would hurt his ego and affect his future

etc

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes, it is a generalization.

It is not EVERY parent. It never is.
    But let's say we're running along fine, with 5 percent (just a made up number) of parents being on 'autopilot'.
    Then things change a little, and it's 7 percent.
    then 10 percent.

At a certain point, it becomes a 'tipping point'.
    That kid over there got away with it, so my Jimmy should get away with it.
    Grades are getting lower, so we should lower the requirements, it must be 'TOO HARD'... even though kids before learned it.
    You can't hold my Tommy back, it would hurt his ego and affect his future

etc
    My point on the generalization was to hold off the “I raised my kids right” comments…

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My point on the generalization was to hold off the “I raised my kids right” comments…
    Understandable.
    But if there are 10 percent parents that do it right, well that's still overwhelming society.

I could start going on about 'when I was a kid', but.. it's more recollecting, and not exactly germane to the conversation, and probably derail the thread into a parallel discussion.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Maybe they are trying to insist that it was a campaign expense because they say the hush money was paid to try and keep it from negatively affecting his campaign.

That’s the feeling I get from the left wing talking heads on the internet, that these payments amount to an illegal campaign contribution, or an attempt to illegally influence the campaign, or something to that effect, and that pushes the alleged violations into felony territory.

I dont understand the position well enough to make sense of it for myself, let alone defend it, but that seems to be the general idea.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The charges so far, have a 2 year expiration, from the time of the action.
    UNLESS it was in connection it a crime.
    The DA did NOT state what the crime(s) was (were).

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Re Ind me again about all the promises he kept?

I just jumped on the easiest one
    But think about it. "MAGA" means "Make America Great Again." It is a populist
    slogan. On the ground, from 2017 to early 2021, it meant (among other things)
    tax cuts, a booming stock market, bringing jobs back to America, rising wages at
    the lower end of the scale, historically low unemployment, especially minority
    unemployment, a secure border, energy independence. It also meant an attack
    on the administrative state, over-regulation, climate-change fanaticism, political
    correctness (ESG, DEI, CRT), globalist imperatives, and foreign adventurism.

And, oh yeah, by not wasting our blood and treasure on stupid wars he would need to worry about, hehad the extra free time necessary to play some golf

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Those justices are far less ideological than the other three on the court, especially the most recent addition.
    LG, like most leftists, believes when the court aligns with his politics and legislates from the bench everything is fine. So to him a liberal/progressive majority appointed solely for that reason is simply the natural order of things. He probably thinks Ketanji Brown Jackson is actually in some way qualified to sit on SCOTUS

Only when a conservative majority is seated on the court, like now, is the court ideological because it intends to be constitutionally limited and eschew activism

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    tax cuts, a booming stock market, bringing jobs back to America, rising wages at
    on the administrative state, over-regulation, climate-change fanaticism, political

And, oh yeah, by not wasting our blood and treasure on stupid wars he would need to worry about, hehad the extra free time necessary to play some golf
    I think this is correct. I wish it had included sane spending, but we can't have all the nice things. I'd settle for the rest though, especially if we could make it more permanent so that it would take an act of congress, including 60 Senators to change it.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    LG, like most leftists, believes when the court aligns with his politics and legislates from the bench everything is fine. So to him a liberal/progressive majority appointed solely for that reason is simply the natural order of things. He probably thinks Ketanji Brown Jackson is actually in some way qualified to sit on SCOTUS

Only when a conservative majority is seated on the court, like now, is the court ideological because it intends to be constitutionally limited and eschew activism
    In terms of legal understanding I think KBJ is competent. What disqualifies her is that she's a far left ideologue who does not appear to respect the constitution. I suppose if this were a left wing site, someone would come along shortly and say, now do the Trump Appointees. While I think overturning RvW was a tactical error, it was the right ruling, because the legal theory behind RvW was fabricated from nothing. Just declared into existence by an activist court.

But I'd acknowledge that if the RvW ruling was well founded, the Trump appointees likely would have ruled as they did because of their religious belief, regardless of constitutionality. But, as it were, they made a constitutionally correct ruling. So I think that complaint is moot.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That’s the feeling I get from the left wing talking heads on the internet, that these payments amount to an illegal campaign contribution, or an attempt to illegally influence the campaign, or something to that effect, and that pushes the alleged violations into felony territory.

I dont understand the position well enough to make sense of it for myself, let alone defend it, but that seems to be the general idea.
    They have to claim it was regardless. Now they have to go about trying to building a case for why.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis

What you know about my beliefs might fill a thimble.

Rather than make embarrassing proclamations about others’ positions and beliefs based purely in your own fantasies you could, you know, ask me about them. I’m standing right here, I am actually a part of this conversation.

I you had bothered to ask, I would have told you that I am not comfortable with any type of politically Ideological court. Cases should be heard and decided upon their merits, not the political outcome desired by some faction of court.

For the record: I don’t think any of them belong on the court. It is clear that the court is just an extension of the two-party system, but with only 9 votes to worry about instead of 435, or 330 million.

I don’t think lifetime appointment of a fixed number of judges was a good idea. Maybe have the panel of nine selected each session from a pool of vetted circuit court judges? Really almost anything would be an improvement over this.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Spot on interpretation of MAGA because those were the results. On the other hand, the woke leftists see MAGA as wanting to embrace old racist "good ol' boy ways."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think this is correct. I wish it had included sane spending, but we can't have all the nice things. I'd settle for the rest though, especially if we could make it more permanent so that it would take an act of congress, including 60 Senators to change it.
    Then concentrate on funding candidates (in other states than your own, you can still contribute to those campaigns) who, if elected, will support an America First agenda - and don't fool yourself that candidates like McCormick fit that description

I would still back Mehmet Oz over Mitt Romney light

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don’t think lifetime appointment of a fixed number of judges was a good idea. Maybe have the panel of nine selected each session from a pool of vetted circuit court judges? Really almost anything would be an improvement over this.
    That's one of them there 'checks and balances', the makeup of the high court was not designed to be as feckless as public opinion or the fad of the moment

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The MAGA movement that Bug has so eloquently described isn't meant to be exclusively for white people.

Yeah, the confederate battle flags with Trump’s portrait emblazoned upon them on display at every Trump rally parking lot sure look welcoming to outsiders.

Top Bottom