• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    A 55-year-old biker protesting New York State’s law requiring helmet use died at a hospital Saturday after striking his head in an accident.

The Associated Press reports that Phillip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was riding with others through the town of Onondaga on Saturday afternoon without head protection, to protest the state’s requirement that bikers wear helmets.

Read more: Biker Dies Protesting New York's Motorcycle Helmet Law

Bitter irony. RIP.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    the thing is that the top rating on a helmet is only good for an impact of up to 30mph, and that is typically only found on full face helmets (snell rating). most people who ride cruisers only wear brain buckets that have a DOT slide rating at best. If you don't want to wear a helmet then you shouldn't be forced too.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't think this is very funny. My prayers certainly go out to his family. I'm glad that I'm not forced to use a helmet if I don't choose to. I've known people to die wearing helmets on bikes and seat belts in cars. He didn't believe in the law and he did what he could to fight for the rights of bikers in his state.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    the funny thing is that the top rating on a helmet is only good for an impact of up to 30mph, and that is typically only found on full face helmets (snell rating). most people who ride cruisers only wear brain buckets that have a DOT slide rating at best. If you don't want to wear a helmet then you shouldn't be forced too.

Same with seat belts.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Anyone who laughs at this is a pretty soulless person. I am saddened to see the loss of a fellow rider and fellow human being. I agree with him that we dont need more laws to protect us from ourselves. This is not proof that he was wrong, in that he never claimed it was safer to NOT wear a helmet, he claimed that it was an unjust encroachment by our government to mandate how we should live, and even in death, he is still right.

Daniel Koch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    What a shame. I love motorcycles, but tend to not operate them on highways as car drivers do not watch for bikes. I ride dirt bikes mostly.

Daniel Koch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    My thoughts and prayers are with the decedent's family. I lost my brother last year to diabetes and losing a loved one is always difficult.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    be smart. Wear the damn thing. Law or not.

CIMG0282.jpg

I feel horrible for the guy and his family. He made his choice. Sucks that his choice left him dead.

And damn curse on the ABATE people who put out disinformation about helmets.

:soapbox:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Once again, no person protesting helmet laws ever made the claim that it was safer. No one is disputing helmet laws based on safety, but rather based on freedom.

Thoughts and prayers to the family of a fallen brother.

Top Bottom