Bill Gates: Yes, robots really are about to take your jobs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK, am I the only one here who would be most surprised to learn that there are people who DIDN'T see that coming?

Grew up reading science fiction. When Star Trek hit the TV my dad said that crap will never happen. Well, we are not making huge strides into space but personal communication and computers are now off the charts technically. Everything has a circuit board in it. Cars are becoming mobile offices with on board computing/communications/nav systems/maint. warning and so on.

Only someone with their head in the sand did not see this coming.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was really planning to read the whole thread before commenting. But then I clicked this link and watched epic rap battles all morning. Thanks for that. Cleopatra vs Maralyn Monroe was by far the most epic. Definitely worth watching and definitely NSFW.

So what was this thead about? Oh yeah, how "robots" will end human employment. Don't worry too much about it. The robots will eventually unionize and smoke funny oil during lunch breaks and start making ****ty products. Maybe then humans can then start doing the dirty jobs robots refuse to do.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I think the only surprising thing in that article was that Bill Gates founder of Microsoft said someone was going to be replaced by an I-pad I find that slightly ironic and entertaining.

Food and clean water is where the money is going to be in the near future with energy thrown in the mix somewhere. I think the movie Elysium minus the whole space ship thing is where were gonna end up.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    It would take fewer people to service the machines than people the machines replaced, however.

Quite a few less actually. I have a customer who replaced 62 forkift operators and dock workers with a fleet of 15 automated order pickers and two "System Managers". We did have to hire a new tech for that location but it was not a entry level job that any of the displaced workers could qualify for so 60 full time benefit paying jobs gone.

They claim they're saving massive amounts of money, I dont know the numbers on their end but they felt they saw a good ROI on a 2+ Million dollar investment.

We do around 5 assessments a month as to the feasibility to automate customers material handling needs.

It's coming ask the autoworkers...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We did have to hire a new tech for that location but it was not a entry level job that any of the displaced workers could qualify for so 60 full time benefit paying jobs gone.

...and that one tech probably makes significantly more money than the operators did, further contributing to the widening wage gap. The future is going to look very different than the skilled labor revolution that built our current middle class society.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Let's keep putting our lives in the hands of technology. Soon we will become so dependent that when something fails people will lose their minds.

Makes me think of this:[video=youtube;XkuirEweZvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuirEweZvM[/video]

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    We really shouldn't be losing our heads over this.

Tools have been replacing repetitive labor since pretty much forever. And yet we continue to grow wealthier.

More efficient production is never a bad thing. More wealth can be produced at the same cost of human effort and resources.

Prices on some goods will drop and a free market will adjust accordingly.

Bill is correct, however, that continued interference in the labor market will skew the labor market further towards automation than it should naturally go. Unions, OSHA, payroll taxes, health insurance mandates, minimum wage and other labor regulations will all continue to create problems as they artificially increase the price of human labor relative to robotic labor. They should be done away with ASAP.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    adaptationdemotivator.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    To reinforce what others have said: We've automated our processes with robots, vision, etc. and we have more electrical engineers and almost as many electricians at our plant now as when we had probably 2x the people employed here. The job mix will change, required skills will change, but that has been happening since man invented his first tool. At first, we though there'd be a move towards centralized, help-desk sort of troubleshooting (and probably off-shore) but manufacturing folks like immediate gratification.

The other aspect is robots and automation in general, does an excellent job for what it's programmed for, if the programmer did a good enough job anticipating screw-ball stuff. When conditions change, the work scope changes, the product evolves, etc. the robot and all that automation crashes if some person doesn't update it. We may someday see machines building, maintaining, designing, etc. other machines but widespread, general acceptance is a long way off.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    We really shouldn't be losing our heads over this.

Tools have been replacing repetitive labor since pretty much forever. And yet we continue to grow wealthier.

More efficient production is never a bad thing. More wealth can be produced at the same cost of human effort and resources.

Prices on some goods will drop and a free market will adjust accordingly.

Bill is correct, however, that continued interference in the labor market will skew the labor market further towards automation than it should naturally go. Unions, OSHA, payroll taxes, health insurance mandates, minimum wage and other labor regulations will all continue to create problems as they artificially increase the price of human labor relative to robotic labor. They should be done away with ASAP.

Amen.

I read through this thread because I just couldn't believe the ignorance displayed from the "robots will put us all out of work" crowd.

Robots will make all of our lives better for all the reasons you mentioned. The robots will do more of the jobs that are dirty, dangerous and repetitive, exactly the jobs humans don't want to do. We'll be spending our time designing and building robots! We'll have more goods, more services and prices will be cheaper, unless of course ignorant people decide that central planning of prices, labor markets, commodities, etc is a better idea than allowing millions of self interested people choose the best solutions for themselves.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To reinforce what others have said: We've automated our processes with robots, vision, etc. and we have more electrical engineers and almost as many electricians at our plant now as when we had probably 2x the people employed here. The job mix will change, required skills will change, but that has been happening since man invented his first tool. At first, we though there'd be a move towards centralized, help-desk sort of troubleshooting (and probably off-shore) but manufacturing folks like immediate gratification.

The other aspect is robots and automation in general, does an excellent job for what it's programmed for, if the programmer did a good enough job anticipating screw-ball stuff. When conditions change, the work scope changes, the product evolves, etc. the robot and all that automation crashes if some person doesn't update it. We may someday see machines building, maintaining, designing, etc. other machines but widespread, general acceptance is a long way off.

When machines can do every productive thing that humans can do--and that includes thinking and devising new thinking--I'll start worrying.

The people that are left jobless, when technology makes them unneeded, are the people who can't or won't adapt to changing markets. I can imagine hitching post makers complaining to each other about how the soon those horseless carriages would put them out of work...up until they answered the help wanted signs for workers at the new carburetor plant, making more than they made making hitching posts.

New technology creates new kinds of jobs. 40 years ago there were floors and floors of cubicals filled with clerks to file all the company's paper. And there was no such thing as an IT worker. Now technology has made it so managers, sales people, engineers, accountants file things electronically and don't need clerks. But they need IT people to maintain and protect their networks. And the companies that sprang up to make the equipment need their own managers, sales, engineers, accountants, IT people, and people and machines to make the stuff.

Historically, increasing productivity has fostered growth in new industries because people who's entrepreneur spirits are free to innovate, tend to create new industries.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Amen.

I read through this thread because I just couldn't believe the ignorance displayed from the "robots will put us all out of work" crowd.

Robots will make all of our lives better for all the reasons you mentioned. The robots will do more of the jobs that are dirty, dangerous and repetitive, exactly the jobs humans don't want to do. We'll be spending our time designing and building robots!

Yeah, I figure those 60 forklift operators didn't want their jobs and are all probably designing robots right now.

As a civilization, yes. As individuals, no. The industrial revolution and the resulting labor unions were a blip in how economies traditionally work. That blip resulted in a more equitable spread of that wealth among a larger percentage of the population than ever before, creating the middle class society we now have. The buggy whip maker could go work in a factory, there was very little barrier to entry in most career fields that paid a living wage. That is not true today. The forklift operators put out of work can't just go work in new technology, we've advanced well beyond that point, and jobs that pay well take significant amounts of time to learn and gain experience in. Those who believe this is a parallel to the industrial revolution need to pick up a history book.

I don't believe that technology is a bad thing, and furthermore I believe its inevitable. However, I also believe that we're going to return to the historic norm of a huge wealth gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots', and that absolutely will have real consequences on our culture and society. Look at the people complaining about the Millennials with their lack of drive and desire to work...and then say how those jobs are repetitive and not something people want to do anyway. I think most men from my generation and those before took some sense of purpose in their work. We value labor and earning our keep for it. In a world where robots and automation deprives more and more people of that, what's their sense of purpose? It'll certainly have to be redefined if they are to have the same level of happiness and fulfillment as previous generations, because the jobs won't be there.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Yeah, I figure those 60 forklift operators didn't want their jobs and are all probably designing robots right now.

As a civilization, yes. As individuals, no. The industrial revolution and the resulting labor unions were a blip in how economies traditionally work. That blip resulted in a more equitable spread of that wealth among a larger percentage of the population than ever before, creating the middle class society we now have. The buggy whip maker could go work in a factory, there was very little barrier to entry in most career fields that paid a living wage. That is not true today. The forklift operators put out of work can't just go work in new technology, we've advanced well beyond that point, and jobs that pay well take significant amounts of time to learn and gain experience in. Those who believe this is a parallel to the industrial revolution need to pick up a history book.

I don't believe that technology is a bad thing, and furthermore I believe its inevitable. However, I also believe that we're going to return to the historic norm of a huge wealth gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots', and that absolutely will have real consequences on our culture and society. Look at the people complaining about the Millennials with their lack of drive and desire to work...and then say how those jobs are repetitive and not something people want to do anyway. I think most men from my generation and those before took some sense of purpose in their work. We value labor and earning our keep for it. In a world where robots and automation deprives more and more people of that, what's their sense of purpose? It'll certainly have to be redefined if they are to have the same level of happiness and fulfillment as previous generations, because the jobs won't be there.

This is exactly why I am worried about it. The middle class is shrinking at an alarming rate and could very well bring us back to a time where everyone is either in the lap of luxury or the bread line.

Top Bottom