• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Examples, immediately after FDR of media being biased? Ill give the span from Truman -Eisenhower.

NYT whitewashing of Stalin's USSR in the 1930s, for example. Of course they would blame it solely on Walter Duranty, but there were plenty of fellow travelers during the New Deal Era. Lincoln Steffans another example.

Probably many more examples out there. In the 20s and 30s it was cool to be Red.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Biased reporting has been going on for much longer. For me it was the 1968 DNC riots in Chicago.

If you've ever read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" you would see that biased reporting has been going on, probably as long as reporting has existed.

Mark Kellog was a pedestrian journalist who earned a thimbleful of notoriety by dying at the Little Bighorn. Even though the soldiers had attacked a peaceful encampment of indians in indian territory, you can bet that if the soldiers won, Kellog would have called it a battle. As it happened, other jounalists called it a massacre.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    NYT whitewashing of Stalin's USSR in the 1930s, for example. Of course they would blame it solely on Walter Duranty, but there were plenty of fellow travelers during the New Deal Era. Lincoln Steffans another example.

Probably many more examples out there. In the 20s and 30s it was cool to be Red.

I'm familiar with Duranty. I call him more of a editorial propagandist than the mouthpiece for the NYTs. You'll always have his type in any type of Journalism.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If you've ever read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" you would see that biased reporting has been going on, probably as long as reporting has existed.

Mark Kellog was a pedestrian journalist who earned a thimbleful of notoriety by dying at the Little Bighorn. Even though the soldiers had attacked a peaceful encampment of indians in indian territory, you can bet that if the soldiers won, Kellog would have called it a battle. As it happened, other jounalists called it a massacre.

Biased reporting will, and always has, existed. It's when the parent organizations play into it, not just a couple of journalists, that it becomes a problem.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The NYT has so abused its fiduciary role that I commonly see it referred to as "The paper of (making up the) record". The problem won't go away as long as the majority of people will trust what the media (who are supposed and presumed to be trustworthy) say, and I sure don't expect that to change ever. It's only a few of us that wear that foil hat and really think about what we're being told. You would not believe how hard I've tried to get my mom, a rational person, to stop listening to the truckload of bravo sierra that's delivered daily, with no success. All that said, you're far more likely to get something reasonable and truthful from Fox than any of the other networks. Ever notice how all the rest are in lockstep? You wanna think that's because they're all telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? How many times do they need to lie before you reconsider that?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The NYT has so abused its fiduciary role that I commonly see it referred to as "The paper of (making up the) record". The problem won't go away as long as the majority of people will trust what the media (who are supposed and presumed to be trustworthy) say, and I sure don't expect that to change ever. It's only a few of us that wear that foil hat and really think about what we're being told. You would not believe how hard I've tried to get my mom, a rational person, to stop listening to the truckload of bravo sierra that's delivered daily, with no success. All that said, you're far more likely to get something reasonable and truthful from Fox than any of the other networks. Ever notice how all the rest are in lockstep? You wanna think that's because they're all telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? How many times do they need to lie before you reconsider that?

I think that the very thought of a totally un-biased press is completely ludicrous, and I'm not sure that such a thing has ever really existed, and I'm not sure what it's purpose would even be. I see it as the same kind of mythological animal as "The free market". Many say they want it, but I'm not convinced that anyone really does.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Until the media steps on the Government's toes there will be no penalties for the "poetic license" the media uses on a regular basis.
    I see no remedy unless the masses boycott the infomercials and agendas fed to us.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I think that the very thought of a totally un-biased press is completely ludicrous, and I'm not sure that such a thing has ever really existed, and I'm not sure what it's purpose would even be. I see it as the same kind of mythological animal as "The free market". Many say they want it, but I'm not convinced that anyone really does.

I'm not saying I expect any totally unbiased media, I'm just kinda outraged that all the channels are so blatantly and transparently biased in the same direction except one, and they are the target of so much abuse for lack of conformity.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I remember the first time I saw O'Reilly. He had this holier-than-thou attitude, that rankled. Nobody on the air had grown up in his neighborhood so he was burnished in the truth knew what the truth was. The lack of humility made him suspect. If anyone challenged him he'd shout them down.There's nothing more gratifying than watching a blowhard get his comeuppance. Like the staunch anti-gay congressman that gets caught playing footsie in the mens room. It wasn't as satisfying when the former prosecuter/Gov of NY, got caught with a prostitute. He never claimed to be a saint though.....made a lot of enemies on Wall Street and became a target for his work as prosecuter. I'd put him in with Clinton. Brilliant mind with unholy needs...just like me and you...

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Media reporting has been biased a bit longer than 1996. I submit for your perusal, Thomas Jefferson attacks on John Adams during the Adams administration. Too bad it is not easier to get a hold of these articles.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Back in the 1700s/1800s the papers were owned by individuals with motive. People expected them to be one sided and full of opinion.

today we have purported "neutral journalists" with a huge slant. That is what's different now. Those who claim to be neutral are anything but. 200 years ago they made no such claims.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Back in the 1700s/1800s the papers were owned by individuals with motive. People expected them to be one sided and full of opinion.

today we have purported "neutral journalists" with a huge slant. That is what's different now. Those who claim to be neutral are anything but. 200 years ago they made no such claims.

:yesway: This. I am offended that they claim neutrality when they are tilted hard left.

And I am saddened by the people gullible enough to believe them :hooked:.

The commentaries by Gretta Van Susteren and Bill O'Reilly are more balanced than the evening news on the other networks.
    They routinely portray the progressives in a more favorable way than the networks portray conservatives.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So being in a riot in Buenos Aires... a place untouched during the Falklands War, is akin to being in combat?

I'll remind of his words:

"Having survived a combat situation in Argentina during the Falklands war, I know that life-and-death decisions are made in a flash,"

At the very least, it's misrepresentation, at worst, it's lying.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And if this can be vetted:

I was in a situation one time, in a war zone in Argentina, in the Falklands, where my photographer got run down and then hit his head and was bleeding from the ear on the concrete. And the army was chasing us. I had to make a decision. And I dragged him off, you know, but at the same time, I'm looking around and trying to do my job, but I figure I had to get this guy out of there because that was more important

Then it's an outright lie.

Top Bottom