• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    UpDate

If any of you are interested in getting SB 6 (Repeal of the ban on switchblade knives) that I got passed out of the Senate on a 49 to 1 vote, which is also supported by the Indiana State Police you might want to e-mail Rep. Davis who Chairs the Public Policy committee in the House where the bill now lies.

It would help to get it a hearing, time is short. You can e-mail Rep. Davis at

http://www.in.gov/cgi-bin/legislative/contact/contact-lsa-2-5.pl?data=h033

Jim Tomes

e mail sent thanks jim for keeping us posted and you will always have my vote!

btw how are the other two bills going (hunting with suppressors and sbs)
    i hear the suppressor hunting is moving fine but sbs has stalled

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I sent a second e-mail after reading the 2012 session might end on March 9 instead of March 14. Apparently doing their jobs, including debating the so-called "Right to Work" tuckered the poor little fellows out?

When a crisis arises at my workplace, I don't get extra vacation. If I do the work, I get to keep my job.

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    It is not so much that it wore them out, but rather that this is such a busy election year and most of them are up for reelection so they would rather have the extra week to campaign than do what they were elected to do! I agree with random_eyes, if I do what I am supposed to do I get to keep my job!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When a crisis arises at my workplace, I don't get extra vacation. If I do the work, I get to keep my job.

Your job cannot take away the life, liberty and property of your fellow citizens. The General Assembly can take away life, liberty and property.

I celebrate that they are ending early.

Call and write your memeber of the House today.:)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    random, think of it this way, we just need to add a sunset provision to every single statute.

Keep them busy repassing laws like Murder or Armed Robbery, that way they do not have time to bother us.:D

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    The General Assembly can take away life, liberty and property.

Nah. Those rights are inalienable. They may not take my life, nor my liberty, nor my property without killing, stealing or trampling. Nope.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Nah. Those rights are inalienable. They may not take my life, nor my liberty, nor my property without killing, stealing or trampling. Nope.

Actually, they can. Re-read the Fifth Amendment, from which that text is taken, again.

Amendment V No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

(emphasis mine) You CAN be lawfully deprived of all of those things by due process of law, meaning a law must exist, you must be accused of breaking it, be tried and found guilty, and then can be deprived of any or all of those things according to the terms of the law you are convicted of violating.

You can, of course, appeal it as well.

Kirk is correct in his recent quote of Mark Twain, who said "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    You'll get through much quicker by calling his district office instead of the statehouse switchboard.

Rep. Bill Davis
    District 33
    260-726-4727 NEW NUMBER

I called today and said that I hope he can help get Senate Bill 6 passed out of his committee so that it can be voted on this session.

Last edited:

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    Come on everyone! This is probably the closest we will come to this being realized! I'm going to get aggressive and spread this info on the USN, Bladeforums, Jersey Devil and any other big knife community! Now is the time to STRIKE!!! :rockwoot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    While technically, it could still be heard, I think that the unofficial deadline for bills to get out of committee was today. Rep. Bosma and Sen. Long had said something about knocking off a week early due to all the hard work put in to pass RTW, the smoking ban, etc., and as such, the committee chairs were going along with that. There are a couple of committees that will meet on 3/5, from what I saw on the schedule last time I looked, but no other committee meetings that I see to hear testimony.

As I said, though, technically, they could get the bills out as late as 2/29, get them heard on 2nd Reading on 3/1 and heard on 3rd Reading on 3/5, so it may be worth keeping up the pressure. The worst thing he can do at this point is to say "no", and that's where we are now, so in essence, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Blessings,
    Bill

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    While technically, it could still be heard, I think that the unofficial deadline for bills to get out of committee was today. Rep. Bosma and Sen. Long had said something about knocking off a week early due to all the hard work put in to pass RTW, the smoking ban, etc., and as such, the committee chairs were going along with that. There are a couple of committees that will meet on 3/5, from what I saw on the schedule last time I looked, but no other committee meetings that I see to hear testimony.

As I said, though, technically, they could get the bills out as late as 2/29, get them heard on 2nd Reading on 3/1 and heard on 3rd Reading on 3/5, so it may be worth keeping up the pressure. The worst thing he can do at this point is to say "no", and that's where we are now, so in essence, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks Bill for keeping us up to date on this and setting up the special header on top of the forums.

We all need to stay on top of this, keep sending emails if you have to.:patriot:

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Actually, they can. Re-read the Fifth Amendment, from which that text is taken, again.

(emphasis mine) You CAN be lawfully deprived of all of those things by due process of law, meaning a law must exist, you must be accused of breaking it, be tried and found guilty, and then can be deprived of any or all of those things according to the terms of the law you are convicted of violating.

You can, of course, appeal it as well.

Kirk is correct in his recent quote of Mark Twain, who said "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Let's not forget a higher law that frames the context of our governmental structure.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Inalienable rights are things like life, liberty. ;)

Taxes I owe the government are not my property. ;) The government isn't taking "my" property when they collect taxes.

Top Bottom