• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Bill would give president emergency control of Internet | Politics and Law - CNET News

Internet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet.

They're not much happier about a revised version that aides to Sen. Jay Rockefeller, a West Virginia Democrat, have spent months drafting behind closed doors. CNET News has obtained a copy of the 55-page draft of S.773 (excerpt), which still appears to permit the president to seize temporary control of private-sector networks during a so-called cybersecurity emergency.

White_House.jpg

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

"I think the redraft, while improved, remains troubling due to its vagueness," said Larry Clinton, president of the Internet Security Alliance, which counts representatives of Verizon, Verisign, Nortel, and Carnegie Mellon University on its board. "It is unclear what authority Sen. Rockefeller thinks is necessary over the private sector. Unless this is clarified, we cannot properly analyze, let alone support the bill."

Representatives of other large Internet and telecommunications companies expressed concerns about the bill in a teleconference with Rockefeller's aides this week, but were not immediately available for interviews on Thursday.

A spokesman for Rockefeller also declined to comment on the record Thursday, saying that many people were unavailable because of the summer recess. A Senate source familiar with the bill compared the president's power to take control of portions of the Internet to what President Bush did when grounding all aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001. The source said that one primary concern was the electrical grid, and what would happen if it were attacked from a broadband connection.

When Rockefeller, the chairman of the Senate Commerce committee, and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) introduced the original bill in April, they claimed it was vital to protect national cybersecurity. "We must protect our critical infrastructure at all costs--from our water to our electricity, to banking, traffic lights and electronic health records," Rockefeller said.

The Rockefeller proposal plays out against a broader concern in Washington, D.C., about the government's role in cybersecurity. In May, President Obama acknowledged that the government is "not as prepared" as it should be to respond to disruptions and announced that a new cybersecurity coordinator position would be created inside the White House staff. Three months later, that post remains empty, one top cybersecurity aide has quit, and some wags have begun to wonder why a government that receives failing marks on cybersecurity should be trusted to instruct the private sector what to do.

Rockefeller's revised legislation seeks to reshuffle the way the federal government addresses the topic. It requires a "cybersecurity workforce plan" from every federal agency, a "dashboard" pilot project, measurements of hiring effectiveness, and the implementation of a "comprehensive national cybersecurity strategy" in six months--even though its mandatory legal review will take a year to complete.

The privacy implications of sweeping changes implemented before the legal review is finished worry Lee Tien, a senior staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco. "As soon as you're saying that the federal government is going to be exercising this kind of power over private networks, it's going to be a really big issue," he says.

Probably the most controversial language begins in Section 201, which permits the president to "direct the national response to the cyber threat" if necessary for "the national defense and security." The White House is supposed to engage in "periodic mapping" of private networks deemed to be critical, and those companies "shall share" requested information with the federal government. ("Cyber" is defined as anything having to do with the Internet, telecommunications, computers, or computer networks.)

"The language has changed but it doesn't contain any real additional limits," EFF's Tien says. "It simply switches the more direct and obvious language they had originally to the more ambiguous (version)...The designation of what is a critical infrastructure system or network as far as I can tell has no specific process. There's no provision for any administrative process or review. That's where the problems seem to start. And then you have the amorphous powers that go along with it."

Translation: If your company is deemed "critical," a new set of regulations kick in involving who you can hire, what information you must disclose, and when the government would exercise control over your computers or network.

The Internet Security Alliance's Clinton adds that his group is "supportive of increased federal involvement to enhance cyber security, but we believe that the wrong approach, as embodied in this bill as introduced, will be counterproductive both from an national economic and national secuity perspective."

How hard would it be for someone to manufacture a "cyber-crisis" in order to give themselves a reason to grasp control of the internet...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Forget the "cybercrisis". Do you have any idea how much damage this:

Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

is likely to do to the IT sector? You're essentially creating a government-mandated IT union. You think HIPAA regulations are a pain? Wait until you need to have a certified IT professional on staff to change the paper in the fax machine. I am not exaggerating here.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    (b) MANDATORY LICENSING- Beginning 3 years after the date of enactment of this Act, it shall be unlawful for any individual to engage in business in the United States, or to be employed in the United States, as a provider of cybersecurity services to any Federal agency or an information system or network designated by the President, or the President's designee, as a critical infrastructure information system or network, who is not licensed and certified under the program.

Hey, as long as we're not working for the Fed or for a company that has a piece of critical infrastructure, we won't be required to be licensed. But in practice, we'll probably have to be licensed anyways as job applications will have a check box for "Do you hold a Federal License to do Cybersecurity?," and, of course, a negative answer will promptly have one's resume/application filed in the circular bin.

Anyone want to start making bets on whether Rockefeller's buddies stand to make a ton of money if this passes?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hey, as long as we're not working for the Fed or for a company that has a piece of critical infrastructure, we won't be required to be licensed. But in practice, we'll probably have to be licensed anyways as job applications will have a check box for "Do you hold a Federal License to do Cybersecurity?," and, of course, a negative answer will promptly have one's resume/application filed in the circular bin.

Anyone want to start making bets on whether Rockefeller's buddies stand to make a ton of money if this passes?

EVERYTHING in IT is "cybersecurity". There's no way to get around it. That's such a broad term that yes, everyone who does any work anywhere with a computer will need a license.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    "You can't professionalize unless you federalize" Where have I heard that before?

The tech community (I am a member as an IT professional) is pretty ornery when it comes to these types of issues....should be interesting to see how it unfolds.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Systems deemed critical are required to "share information" with the Federal government.

Warrants? We don't have no steenking warrants? We don't need to steenking warrants!

If the government deems you "critical" they, basically, own your systems.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Isn't this essentially the same as Executive Order 10995, which allows the government to seize and control the communication media?
    If so, it's been around for quite some time...

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I heard hannity talking about it. I guess the ACLU is lining up against it. They pointed out, can you imagine the howls from the left if the evil Bush had wanted to take over the internet like this.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I guess if you went to the cash for clunkers website and your computer became "part of the government computer network" you'd technically be violating the law to update your Norton Antivirus software.

I'm not a fan of the idea that any IT person doing ANY work (yes, Scutter is right on this) on ANY computer that in attached to government must have a specific government certification. It does smack of forcing control over one of the sectors of our workforce that seems to be growing well and I am unclear as to what it is supposed to accomplish in the first place. All the IT pros I know are quick to point out that threats evolve faster than training in most cases and the techniques and equipment used for high level cyber security change faster than most of us could begin to imagine.

With all that said, I know our elected officials will always have a better plan than we working types. Thank God we non-governmental types weren't in charge of Social Security, Fannie/Freddie, Medicaid, VA care, etc.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for the info rambone. Annie I think you are correct as well. I recall reading about this before I6BO came into office. This is all off course a mute point. The entire internet can be taken down in under 10 mins be hackers right now anyways. The most famous of hackers even testified in front of Congress on how it can be done back in the 90s. 10 years laters (Tom's Hardware website) had an interview with the guy who said that it may take even less than 10 mins now due the abundance of powerful PCs all over the planet and the number of PCs. The "attack" on the internet would be software based.

However if you really want to mess it (the internet) big time all it really takes are some $2 wire cutters. There are 7 central points around the globe where all internet traffic must go thru. The USA alone has 2 to 4 of those hubs. One is on the west coast, the other east coast, not sure on the last two. In any case you cut the wires and bye-bye internet. Last year the west coast center's exchange (building that gets the info prior to the building that has the servers) was physically attacked and wires were cut. CA lost cellphone and data traffic for several days due to this until a repair was done.

So you cut the wires and they lost a couple of days. Now think a bit eviler and blow up the buildings and you take out net even more. Better yet think Al-Quidea way blow up the building and drop a dirty nuke so we can't repair/rebuild and BAM we are now in the stone age.

Point is the internet is NOT safe and I6BO trying to protect us is not going to work either. Yours fears of him shutting it down before 2012 have merit. Too bad the SHEEP just don't understand how fragile the whole system is and how pointless this would be. Again it's all about more CONTROL by the feds...

PS.
    The info above on cutting the wires/blowing up the bldgs was on a discovery channel program last year showing how the internet works and just how fragile it is. In addition Tom's Hardware site has many articles which talk this topic and what the private industry i doing software/hardware and physical facility wise to defend themselves.
    I AM IN NO WAY SAYING THAT YOU SHOULD CUT THE WIRES OR BLOW UP THE BUILDINGS! However the bad guys and good guys both know the weakness to the internet.

rjwin1967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    They don't need to confiscate our radios now. They are looking for an excuse to control one of the last free means of communication. If this bill becomes law, you will see a cyber security threat materialize out of nowwhere, right about the time the messiah attempts to make himself president for life. Remember what Hillary Clinton and Rahm Emanuel said, "Never let a good crisis go to waste." Gun control is coming, but it's farther down the list. They have to push through as much as they can without screwing themselves in the 2010 election. If they manage to get the fuhrer elected again and get through the following senate and congressional elections, there will be a full scale, all out assault on our civil rights. Make no mistake about where the democratic party is headed. It's had the same destination since it was founded. It intends to take over the United States and make itself the sole governing body.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I got a question.

Without an ARMY of hackers, how can they control every private network on the Internet? What about other Countries connected to the internet? Wouldn't that be an act of war? This bill makes little sense and is hard for me to understand.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    DHS just annexed the internet. Guess they won't need to take your computer at the border anymore, they can just get it at your house now.

Top Bottom