• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone familiar with biometric door locks? I have had these in my mind for some time. Now it appears that I need to look at them a little closer.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Most of them can be defeated in about 90 seconds, but then so can standard locks. Personally, I like the coolness factor.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We use the bio metrics at work. The scanners are better than the first design. We can use alcohol to clean them. Some people are not able to use the bio-metrics because of old wrinkly fingers or worn down fingerprints.

For a home lock I would not use one. I would get a coded garage door opener with a pad on the outside of the house. They also have a key lock box that can be mounted to the outside of the house.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    OK then, gotta explain please. Assuming force?

The Mythbusters video describes it just fine, but remember too that a traditional home door lock can be picked just as easily, so you're really not losing any security, and possibly gaining some convenience. I would not use a bio lock for any secure facility however.

You could always use a two-factor lock, such as a bio combined with an RFID reader or something.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The Biometric system used to gain access to our datacenter is a bit harder to falsify than the one shown in the Mythbusters video. It scans the geometry of your hand. Add a second factor in the form of a proxy card. And you've got a lock that's a lot more difficult to defeat.

My Hand, and My Proxy card are tied to one another. Another valid card, with my valid hand will not gain access to the facility.

Of course a well placed brick, or sledge hammer strike and you're still likely to get in. Whether you can do anything before the NOC staff call the Police is a completely separate matter.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you've ever used one, can you tell me a little more about personal experience with it? We've been tossing around the idea...

My parents have them and they are nice. I am not sure if they got them as part of the package or if they added them on as an aftermarket(universal setup). They used their own 8 digit code and they can change them when needed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not looking for high security, just a replacement for keyed door locks. I make a few dozen trips a day, back and forth, between my house and work shop. Presently, I leave the doors unlocked. I want a means to enter those locked doors quickly without keys.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    i would suggest the string and shotgun trick at the door before you leave. best security
    Are you typing on a Royal typewriter?
    Is your phone two tin cans and a string?
    :):
    I have high tech boobytraps! I'm just looking for a solution too keep some drunken or innocent idiot from blundering into them. :):

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I just picked up a digital keypad type lock for the door in from the garage. You enter in a 4 or 6 digit code (not sure which yet.) After 3 mistakes, it locks for 30 seconds, to reduce the chance of brute force attacks. You can program up to 19 different codes and disable them easily. Good for a temporary access. Also is a keyed lock. They have these in both deadbolt style and standard locking handle. Not as cool as biometrics, but about as convenient.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I just picked up a digital keypad type lock for the door in from the garage. You enter in a 4 or 6 digit code (not sure which yet.) After 3 mistakes, it locks for 30 seconds, to reduce the chance of brute force attacks. You can program up to 19 different codes and disable them easily. Good for a temporary access. Also is a keyed lock. They have these in both deadbolt style and standard locking handle. Not as cool as biometrics, but about as convenient.
    What brand is that? (website?)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    We went with Schlage from Home Depot. Here is the link: Schlage Keypad Lever Plymouth Bright Brass - 892266

It has keypad and key on the outside and a toggle to lock it on the inside. We are getting everything keyed together on Thursday, most likely. And I'll install that night. I'll be able to give more details. I'm not sure yet how much of a pain in the butt changing batteries are yet. :)
    I'll be watching for your post about it with interest! Thanks!
    Rep's to you for detailing it!:yesway:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    They also have deadbolt locks that entering the code "links" the outside to the deadbolt for a few seconds. So unlocking is like a toggled deadbolt inside. We have an exterior door leaving in from the garage, but no deadbolt. So this is just for us to hit the garage door opener and not need a key to get inside. I'll post an update later in the week.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Living in New York I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long a burglar stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."

~Elayne Boosler

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We went with Schlage from Home Depot. Here is the link: Schlage Keypad Lever Plymouth Bright Brass - 892266

Finally got this installed tonight. It is a little different than I expected, but works well. Inside, you can set locked or not. This is actually accomplished via the motor movement inside. In other words, it doesn't look like it would lock or unlock without a good 9V inside. The key from the outside only temporarily opens the door. It cannot change the setting inside. So if locked, you get in with a key and close it again and it will be locked. It will only stay unlocked when you toggle the inside. Keeping it in locked state would make this just a bother, but still be secure. You would just have to unload with the key every time you opened until you replaced the battery.

Digital programming is pretty easy. Enter the 6 digit code, press top button then 1 and enter a code twice. This sets up a code for the lock. 6 digit code, press top button then 2 and enter code twice, this removes the code from the lock. All access codes are 4 digits. 30 second timeout after three bad codes reduces chances of brute force attack of code. I'm sure there is something to list codes and such, I haven't looked that deep in the instructions.

Installs in an existing standard knob lock. Battery changes require removing two screws. Pretty decent setup. I'm happy with the results. We unlock it only if we are going in and out a bunch, moving. Otherwise, just hit the 4 digit code and go in. Not to obtrusive, but fairly secure. :thumbsup:

One thing that blew me away is how crappy the deadbolts were on this place. People don't think when putting in locks. All that was keeping the deadbolt in place was 1/4" of pine. A gentle kick would have gotten into the house. They now have 3" screws through the striker plate into the studs next to the door. Amazing what a hour with a drill and a chisel can accomplish. I feel much better about the doors now. :)

Top Bottom