• ...and so much more!
  • cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    This sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me:

Smart gun company aims to begin production soon

It just seems to me that too many factors could prevent it from successfully activating in a self defense situation.

Also, even though the co-founder states that smart gun technology should be market driven, I believe that once such technology is available, the anti-gun legislators will seek to enact laws requiring it's use.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    From what I understand, Lanza's mom had a gun safe she left wide open too. All Adam had to do was say "mom, I need access to it to check everything after I clean it."

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    That company has been trying to shop that technology for years. I first heard about it before I ever bought my first gun (I'm assuming it's the same company as it's the same type of technology). Now they're trying to use a tragedy for marketing. Still, I bet nobody's buying it.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I work with Biometrics daily, by fingerprinting people for law enforcement. The machines we use cost ten's of thousands of dollars, and there are several things which can cause issues with the recording of prints. Some people are heavy sweaters, literally their hands are always nearly dripping. Anyone who uses their hands excessively, such as roofers, masons, farmers, mechanics, tend to have lots of abrasion and scarring of their skin which makes it very difficult to verify prints. Some people have severe eczema in wintertime, causing flaking and cracking of skin. Injuries, causing an open wound in the area where the scanner would be, or simply coating the required area with blood would certainly cause interference, as would heavy rain I'd think. Several years ago, Mythbusters defeated a biometric door lock with a photocopy of the appropriate fingerprint. True smart guns, are a pipe dream, until they can somehow develop a way to instantly ID the DNA of the authorized user, and shrink it to the size of a pea.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Whatever happened to those magnetic ring gun locks where only the person wearing the special ring could use the gun? Is that technology still out there? I remember hearing about it years ago, but haven't heard anything lately.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    A friend was shocked that his 15 year old daughter knew his combination. And I know of one 9 year old that got the password for ROOT at ECN by merely watching.

IMO "figuring out how to open" and surreptitiously recording a combination or password and using it are not the same thing. Figuring out how to open indicates a working knowledge of the mechanical principals of the device, and using that knowledge to bypass the security.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    FTFA
    "We've dedicated well over 10 years to come up with this solution. We have a lot of people in this company who've put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it and never gotten a penny out of it. If we were in it for the money, we would have been out of it a long time ago.

Seriously? Your company wasted its time for over ten years on a product that no one wants, and I'm willing to bet that this product wouldn't be successful in real-world environments. (I'm sure it works great in the lab under pristine conditions.) If this product ever hit the market the first thing people would do is figure out how to disable it. Then anyone who is slightly inclined and can watch a Youtube video would be able to bypass this awesome new technology.

How is this device supposed to work? Use a solenoid to block the trigger unless the sensor reads correct biometric data? I'll give anyone five minutes with a screwdriver to bypass that one.

It's like these people think we're a bunch of ****ing idiots. People are going to disassemble their guns and see how this "magic" device works. This device is like having a lock on the front door of your house. It only keeps honest people honest. And those Kwikset locks on your front door aren't very good locks to begin with.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    FTFA

Seriously? Your company wasted its time for over ten years on a product that no one wants, and I'm willing to bet that this product wouldn't be successful in real-world environments. (I'm sure it works great in the lab under pristine conditions.) If this product ever hit the market the first thing people would do is figure out how to disable it. Then anyone who is slightly inclined and can watch a Youtube video would be able to bypass this awesome new technology.

How is this device supposed to work? Use a solenoid to block the trigger unless the sensor reads correct biometric data? I'll give anyone five minutes with a screwdriver to bypass that one.

It's like these people think we're a bunch of ****ing idiots. People are going to disassemble their guns and see how this "magic" device works. This device is like having a lock on the front door of your house. It only keeps honest people honest. And those Kwikset locks on your front door aren't very good locks to begin with.

Totally correct! They sure solved the automobile theft problem when they installed the steering wheel locks, didn't they? - purple implied!

Top Bottom