• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Well, I came home from work today and there was a notice taped to the door. It was from the Indiana State Board of Animal Health telling us that there is a poultry disease in the area and they want to know how many birds we have on the premises. If there are birds, they will be tested for avian bird flu. I have to respond if we have birds or not.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    I don't like the sound of that at all.

I have my own birds. It gives us a feeling of self sufficiency. I admit the eggs are delicious, but they are the most expensive eggs you will ever eat. Cost savings isn't a good reason to get into it if you buy from your local feed-mart. It also gets old feeding and watering in the winter. I'm working on all the equipment I need to grow a few acres of feed. More expense, but then there is that self-sufficiency thing again.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I don't like the sound of that at all.

I have my own birds. It gives us a feeling of self sufficiency. I admit the eggs are delicious, but they are the most expensive eggs you will ever eat. Cost savings isn't a good reason to get into it if you buy from your local feed-mart. It also gets old feeding and watering in the winter. I'm working on all the equipment I need to grow a few acres of feed. More expense, but then there is that self-sufficiency thing again.
    Same reasoning here ............it`s all about being as self sufficient as possible . I have never figured the cost per dozen , but it would be almost priceless to us if eggs were no longer available or unobtainable . Have not bought a store bought egg in about 10 years .
    Most people just focus on store bought vs Farm Fresh cost per dozen ......Main thing for us is knowing what our chickens eat and how healthy they are vs being pumped full of medications . Truth is in the taste and can tell by the yoke .

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Not a lawyer here ...but I can`t find where you have to let anyone on your property for inspection ?
    Is there a Federal or State Mandatory Mandate that has been imposed for backyard farmers that I missed ?
    Back in 2015 , ( another outbreak ) the state was trying the same practices and a lot of the Farmers were accusing the State officials of carrying the virus onto their property infecting their birds and some would not allow it .
    Why would I subject my hens to a swab we won't submit to ??.....They are just hoping for people who put up no resistance .

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Update: Called the number on the notice and got voice mail where I left my name & number.
    They called back a few hours later.
    Found out that on Friday, there was an outbreak of the flu found on a duck farm within 2 miles of my house. They are required by federal law to test all birds within 2 miles of the outbreak.
    She then asked how many birds we had on the property. I indicated that we had some in the freezer in nugget and breast form. She was not amused. I feel sorry for my Amish neighbors. The one across the street has a large operation, maybe 1-1500 chickens. Would be horrible if they needed to be destroyed.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    There is an "egg farm" in southern Indiana that has several million birds. Can you imagine? They are at the state fair every year. Usually, they have a chick hatching display. Interesting folks to talk to.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Ominous goings on by fedgov yet again.
    Does anyone know if any birds have been tested and found negative? My limited understanding is that the PCR test, if run enough times always has a positive result.
    I hear they’re close to releasing a mRNA vaccine for poultry that’s guaranteed to solve the problem! (Apply purple if really necessary).

Big Naughty

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Hendricks County
    Of course we have to trust that government is telling us the truth about this avian flu outbreak. Anyone that doesn't trust the government must be one of them evil conspiracy theorists/white supremacists I keep hearing so much about.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I hear they’re close to releasing a mRNA vaccine for poultry that’s guaranteed to solve the problem! (Apply purple if really necessary).
    Hmm yeah we've had those in mass use for years and yet we still have massive, destructive bird flu after bird flu.

Guess they don't work in birds, either.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    How different is this from what has gone on over the last several years?

Being heavily involved in 4H, 4 or 5 years ago (maybe more), all fairs in Indiana were directed to cancel poultry showing at the fair due to some communicable disease. The world did not come to an end. In fact, I recall this being somewhat unusual, but not so strange as to be unheard of.

[ETA] Looked it up- the last time was 2015 and it was due to Avian Flu....and as I said, the world did not end.
    Avian flus carried 'round the world by migratory birds happen fairly frequently. This one does appear to be more severe, but not in an apocalyptic sort of way.

It's always possible, and obviously does sometimes happen, for the flu to adapt to humans. This, however, usually starts in poor countries where the humans and livestock are living in close quarters.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    There must not be a major concern ........I was just able to order 50 Cornish Rock (Meat Bird chicks )online , delivery by mail .
    Hatcheries are certainly at risk but they take extensive measures to try to keep viruses out and do some fairly frequent testing. The transportation has some risk, depending what other sources get on the same vehicles or where the post office workers go (ie other farms).

Most veterinarians I know that are getting chicks this year are waiting until the end of June or later.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We have a couple neighbors with smallish commercial egg laying flocks, a couple thousand each. They even hear the words 'bird flu', they close off all ventilation in the barn and gas 'em. Cheaper and easier than testing, dealing with quarantine, etc. They'll be without birds for a couple weeks, then a new batch gets delivered.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Update #2: Found the place where the infected poultry is at. They wrapped the entire building with yellow caution tape. Also noticed the chicken farm north of us is buttoned up tight as a drum. Typically they let the chickens run loose in the field. Scary stuff.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Ominous goings on by fedgov yet again.
    Does anyone know if any birds have been tested and found negative? My limited understanding is that the PCR test, if run enough times always has a positive result.
    I’m wondering if the swabs aren’t already tainted before the test to get a positive result. More govt control.

Top Bottom